PDA

View Full Version : best furniture to buy when you have cats?

catsforever
05-11-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm shopping for new furniture, and I'd like to hear opinions as to what type of upholstered furniture is best when you have cats. I have two, one with long black hair, and both are front declawed. Everywhere I shop, the new "rage" in furniture is microfiber. But wouldn't microfiber be an absolute magnet for pet hair? I would think it would be horrible, and I would be brushing hair off the microfiber fabric daily. I'm leaning towards leather, but microfiber is much less expensive. Cat owners, what has been your experience? Thanks!

kimlovescats
05-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Basically if your cats are declawed, then it shouldn't matter anymore. They will shed no matter what kind of furniture you get. Fur is just part of living with kitties ..... we keep the 3M company in business ... buying their lint rollers!;)

catsforever
05-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks, kimlovescats, but I would think leather would be easiest because you can just wipe it off rather than brush vigorously or roll with the 'ol lint roller to attempt to remove cat hair....I'm wondering if microfiber is WORSE than regular fabric upholstery, because of the "nap" of the fabric? Any multiple cat owners out there who have microfiber?

Lacey
05-12-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm not sure what kind of fabric was used to upholster my couch and recliner (both of which are hand-me-downs from family) beyond the fact that it's blue and comfy. The cat hair battle is pretty much a losing battle no matter what kind of fabric it is, though. I just whip out the vacuum cleaner every now and then and vacuum both pieces of furniture thoroughly.

Cats are going to shed no matter what your furniture is upholstered with. Even if you go with leather where you could just wipe the hair off, you'd still end up vacuuming to get the hair you just wiped off of the couch out of the floor.

So my advice would be to go with what you think looks best and is comfy.

christa
05-12-2005, 08:48 AM
If you're most concerned with cat hair, leather is the way to go. We have a leather recliner and the cats don't bother it at all.

Our couch is another story. The fabric is a canvas like material which means "scratching post" to cats! It's picked to death and does collect quite a bit of hair.

I would also think that the microfiber would be a magnet for hair. I love the microfiber stuff, and have looked at it without even thinking about the hair it would attract. Makes me rethink it myself!

catmandu
05-12-2005, 08:57 AM
I,myself,have used,rescued Furniture,taht the Found Cats,cannot do anything to.no.,matter how hard,that they try.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture246.jpg

catnapper
05-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Microfiber will definately collect more hair. The smoother that fabirc = less hair collection. A silk, chintz, or other smooth fabric will not collect hair like a weave would (like a tapestry or damask). The microfiber fabric has lots of little hairs that will pick up and hold onto the cat hair. Leather of course does not.

HOWEVER, be prepared for scratches and such on the leather. Don't but one that won't look better with age. Yes your cats are front declawed, but on furniture, the majority of punctures come from back paws of the cats jumping off or playing. I know a few PTers have front declawed cats and leather furniture to attest to that, but their furniture looks great beacuse its a leather that ages better once it has the scars from daily wear.

Are the only choices you are looking at Microfiber and leather? There are so many other choices out there, and I'd be happy to help you. I'm PTs resident interior designer :)

cruisetime
05-12-2005, 09:41 AM
I was going to say too that we vacuum the cloth furniture we have. I also put handtowels on the two spots on top of the furniture where they lay the most to see out the window or watch us. That way I just grab them when I do the wash and that is where most of the hair is. Also the bottom of my couch is covered with a cover that matches my living room (always has been even before cats so nothing getts spilt on the couches) and I wash these too occasionally. So that way I only have to vaccum the top of the couches every so often... I'm not sure with leather because me and hubby have been used to push off of occasionally with their back claws and we get scratched good. How about second hand that you won't worry about so much??? Debbie