PDA

View Full Version : Short Hair Cats

Emiley
01-27-2002, 02:16 PM
Are short hair cats less work than long haired ones? Please give me any info about them you have! Thanks a bundle!

-Emiley

Pam
01-27-2002, 03:43 PM
Both of my cats are short haired cats. They are very easy to groom although Trevor loves it but Andy just tolerates it. My daughter's ragdoll cat (long hair) absolutely hates being groomed and developed some mats last year and had to be shaved. :eek:

http://www.photogra.com/galleries/35042/curr/7021258_20020128_100203_20020128100203.jpg

NoahsMommy
01-27-2002, 05:27 PM
Noah is long haired and it is every where! It seems like we vacume our apartment every other day. We have to brush him and give him baths to get rid of the fur, he tends to get sick from furballs.

Noel is short haired and SOOO much easier to take care of...

yumyum6970
01-28-2002, 06:54 AM
Yum Yum is a short haired cat and you don't have to brush her much in fact she hates it. Dutchess is long haired and we TRY to groom her but she hates it too. She always coughs up hairballs. :(

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

catwoman
01-28-2002, 12:34 PM
Both Thelma & Weezie are shorthaired. Weezie loves to be brushed, Thelma hates it. Both have hairballs.

I've never had a longhaired cat, but I imagine they are more work, simply because of the hair matting issues. :confused:

Cynthia
01-28-2002, 01:01 PM
Both my guys are shorthaired also but we still have lots of cat hair around the house! Stump is a Manx and has a double coat. He loves being brushed. Emmett doesn't seem to like it so far but I haven't given up.

K & L
01-28-2002, 03:00 PM
I think short hairs are easier just for the simple fact they don't mat.

cr7clark
01-29-2002, 07:45 AM
Cynthia, my Manx loves to be brushed as well! Maybe it's a Manx thing....
I think short haired cats are easier to take care of, not just for the brushing aspect but it's also easier to find fleas, clean wounds and generally do an exam on a short haired cat. Friends of ours have a domestic long hair, and he's a real challenge to keep groomed and clean! Every time he'd get in a fight, they'd have to go hunting through his hair to find the cuts in order to clean and bandage them. What a pain!

purrley
01-29-2002, 08:21 AM
I've always preferred the short haired cats for obvious reasons, lower maintenance, shedding, etc. Although the long hairs are extrememly beautiful (when maintained), they are really too much work for me. However, all cats are wonderful and have their unique purrsonalities:)

Logan
01-29-2002, 09:16 AM
I have one of each. Both shed, but not nearly as badly as the two dogs do, and neither of them mind being brushed. They don't like to get their bellies brushed though, so Mimi has gone over 12 years with no brushing on her belly, and she has done quite a good job of grooming herself! Thank goodness!!! :)

So, my anwer was "I don't care" :D