PDA

View Full Version : New article on PETA

K9soul
05-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Times Square Billboard Declares: 'PETA Kills Animals'
Monday May 9, 8:45 am ET
Consumer Group: Hypocritical Animal Rights Organization Put 10,000 Animals to Death

NEW YORK, May 9 /PRNewswire/ -- While loudly complaining about the "unethical" treatment of animals by restaurant owners, grocers, farmers, scientists, anglers, and countless other Americans, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has been hiding its own dirty little secret. PETA kills animals, and visitors to New York's famed Times Square during the month of May will see a 60-by-60-foot billboard carrying that message, in a rare splashy advertisement that PETA won't appreciate. Information obtained from the State of Virginia shows that PETA has a long-standing practice of killing thousands of dogs, cats, and other animals at its Norfolk, Virginia headquarters. Along with the billboard, the nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom is unveiling a new website -- http://www.PetaKillsAnimals.com -- where PETA's hypocritical death toll is on display.
Between 1998 and 2003, PETA put to death over 10,000 dogs, cats, and other creatures that the group publicly calls "companion animals." Not counting those that PETA held only temporarily -- for spaying or neutering -- the group killed over 85 percent of the animals it took in during 2003.

"PETA raked in nearly $29 million last year," said Center for Consumer Freedom research director David Martosko, "and much of it was from pet owners who thought their donations actually helped animals. Instead, PETA killed them -- while spending millions on programs equating meat eaters with Nazis, scaring young children away from drinking milk, recruiting kids into a radical animal-rights lifestyle, and even defending arsonists and other violent extremists."

Other animal protection agencies near PETA's Virginia headquarters "put down" a much smaller percentage of the animals entrusted to them. In 2003 the Norfolk SPCA found adoptive homes for 73 percent of its animals. The Virginia Beach SPCA adopted out 66 percent. PETA could only manage 14 percent.

"We're out to tell the truth about PETA," added Martosko. "This group's duplicity knows no bounds. PETA accepts animal-lovers' donations with one hand while administering lethal injections to puppies and kittens with the other. That's not 'ethical.' It's hypocritical."

To see detailed numbers related to PETA's massive euthanasia program, visit http://www.PetaKillsAnimals.com

The Center for Consumer Freedom is a nonprofit coalition supported by restaurants, food companies, and consumers, working together to promote personal responsibility and protect consumer choices.

Link to article (http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050509/dcmv001.html?.v=2)

PJ's Mom
05-11-2005, 02:26 PM
PETA's already got a somewhat bad reputation. This certainly won't help.

IRescue452
05-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Gotta remember they are anti-human/animal interaction. If it were up to them we would live seperately but equally to animals. They would be anywhere around us but we wouldn't touch them or interfere in any way. They have a shelter though and it is illegal for them to release to animals into the wild so this is their other option.

Lady's Human
05-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Such a fine, upstanding group (yeah right)? I'm absolutely shocked that PETA would do such a thing.

I'm not surprised at all. If they used the money animal lovers gave them to actually save animals they couldn't get the headlines they do for their shock campaigns. After all, visibility costs money, and actually saving animals takes time, time they could be using otherwise (Like coming up with their next slick website or marketing campaign)

Logan
05-11-2005, 09:53 PM
I went to PETA's website, thinking I could find some article or something that would contradict this article, but there is nothing there that I can see. How can they explain this??? I'm going to be watching closely.

Thank you, Jess, for sharing this article.

Logan

cocker_luva
05-11-2005, 10:27 PM
its kinda funny yet not, but i heard another way that PETA stands for...

People Eat Tasty Animals :rolleyes:

moosmom
05-12-2005, 07:37 AM
I can't wait to see how they explain THAT one!! That's why when I make donations, it's to animal rescue.

You know the old saying, people in glass houses shouldn't throw naked parties!! How dare they critisize others!!

LKPike
05-12-2005, 08:33 AM
GOOD! I cant wait to see the leaders of that "group" go down. I stopped supporting them after I learned of their terrorist-connections with burning down medical buildings, etc.

K9soul
05-12-2005, 08:51 AM
I looked a bit more at the petakillsanimals.com website. They have several pages of interesting information, and this page in particular is about the euthanasia.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/petaKillsAnimals.cfm

On its 2002 federal income-tax return, PETA claimed a $9,370 write-off for a giant walk-in freezer, the kind most people use as a meat locker or for ice-cream storage. But animal-rights activists don't eat meat or dairy foods. So far, the group hasn't confirmed the obvious -- that it's using the appliance to store the bodies of its victims.

In 2000, when the Associated Press first noted PETA's Kervorkian-esque tendencies, PETA president Ingrid Newkirk complained that actually taking care of animals costs more than killing them. "We could become a no-kill shelter immediately," she admitted.

Under the chart with the numbers on it, you can download pictures of the actual documents filled out by the president (it's a PDF file [Adobe]).

K9soul
05-12-2005, 08:57 AM
Oh, there is also a petition out to take away PETA's tax exempt status. If you don't want your tax dollars going to help fund their campaigns, you might like to sign this. Apparently PETA is under investigation by the IRS right now too.

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/article_detail.cfm?article=154

moosmom
05-12-2005, 12:50 PM
I don't want MY tax dollars going to PETA's murders! That would be going against everything I believe in not to mention what I'm trying to do, save animals from euthanasia and finding them the furrrever homes they so rightfully deserve!!!

They SHOULD lose their tax-exempt status!

PJ's Mom
05-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
They SHOULD lose their tax-exempt status!

I agree and I signed the petition.