PDA

View Full Version : Dog Traveling

Ericalee
01-10-2001, 06:23 PM
I love to travel but my dog does not really care to be in his cage riding in our vehicle. I do have leather seats, which is a problem. He wimps alot. Any suggestions on how I can travel with him, or is there something we can do to calm him down.
He is now 2 years old. I have had him since he was 7 weeks old. Loud noises do make him jumpy.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Ericalee (edited January 16, 2001).]

Smilla
01-10-2001, 06:57 PM
Does he absolutely have to stay in the cage? When my parents take their dogs on a trip, they just cover the back seats with sheets, and Katie and Sugar have the run of the back of the van.

jackiesdaisy1935
01-10-2001, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Ericalee:
I love to travel but my dog does not really care to be in his cage riding in our vehicle. He wimps alot. Any suggestions on how I can travel with him, or is there something we can do to calm him down.

Hi, we travel with our two Schnauzers all the time. We were at a dog show when we came across a fellow named Scott Hollifield. He
sells a special blanket to put on the back seat of your car. We have leather seats and wanted to protect them so we bought one, and it was the best thing we ever did. The under is made with material so that it does not slide, the top is also made in a material so that the dogs don't slide, and the blanket is made with holes for the seat belts. We bought two harnesses made by Easyrider, they have them in Petsmart and we put them on the seat, hook them into the seat belt and they love it. They don't jump all over the place which is dangerous to them, but they can look out the window. I believe the blanket ran around 79 or 89 dollars. This is the last e.mail address I have for Scott, if you write him he can send you his web site address. [email protected]
Daisy and Perry like it because we can talk to them and pet them too while on the road.
Also it safe as they are strapped into harness and hooked to the seat belt.
Hope this helps some Jackie

Phred
01-11-2001, 02:14 PM
Re: the Kozy K-9 seat protectors:

Look-it we found - a link to the site that makes those seat protectors. Click on: http://www.kozyk-9.com/default.asp

Too late for Christmas, maybe Dad will get me one for Balantines Day. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif

/s/ Cinder, the lil' Shepherd http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

carrie
01-11-2001, 02:49 PM
How old is the dog? How long have you had him/her ( yes in this short space I've forgotten!)? Is the noise an excited or distressed kind of thing? Is the dog ever sick in the car?
Whatever the answers there are some things you can do to help - although there are a few dogs that never seem to get fully over it.

Ericalee
01-16-2001, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by carrie:
How old is the dog? How long have you had him/her ( yes in this short space I've forgotten!)? Is the noise an excited or distressed kind of thing? Is the dog ever sick in the car?
Whatever the answers there are some things you can do to help - although there are a few dogs that never seem to get fully over it.

petspoil
02-01-2001, 05:01 PM
I take my 3 dogs to trips sometimes. I put a blanket to cover the back seats and each of them have a seat belt for safety. They enjoy it very much. They can lie down or sit up but can't run around in the car. It's better than putting them in cages.