PDA

View Full Version : Tornado warning!!!!!

Soapets
05-10-2005, 08:09 PM
We're in a tornado warning, and there are tornadoes to the north, west, and south-west of us, on the ground. There are a lot of clouds with rotation in them, and the worst part of the storm has become stationary to the north of us. It looks like it's starting to come back to the south a little, toward us. I sure hope nobody gets hurt or even killed, and that the worst of the tornadoes stay in rural areas! We're right on the southeastern edge of the system. We have put Sandi, Oreo, Angel, Shadow, and Annie all down in the basement until the all clear is given. We should be down there too, technically, but we have weather radios and can hear the spotters and can see the clouds to the north, west, and south-west of us. We'll head for cover if they look like they're coming any closer to us. The sirens are sounding again now. Tornado developing 11 miles west of us and heading our way at 20 mph. We think it's time to go back down in the basement about now!:eek:

PJ's Mom
05-10-2005, 08:13 PM
You should get to the basement! Tornadoes are nothing to mess around with if you're not used to them.

I hope everyone's ok.

luvofallhorses
05-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
You should get to the basement! Tornadoes are nothing to mess around with if you're not used to them.

I hope everyone's ok.

Same here. Stay safe!

joycenalex
05-10-2005, 08:24 PM
post when they call the all clear! be safe!

Soapets
05-10-2005, 09:46 PM
OK, we've been given the "all clear" and things are getting back to normal here. We've grown up and lived in "tornado alley" most of our lives, but one can never be too careful.

I was living in Grand Island, Nebraska in 1980 when the tornadoes hit, and was home alone at the time, in the basement in a closet under the stairs. My home wasn't hit, but I could hear the roar of the tornadoes and they hit about a quarter mile away from the house I was in. It is something I'll never forget. I have a very healthy respect for tornadoes!

We could tell by the weather radar and by the appearance of the clouds when the sirens first sounded that the storm was off the northwest more. We took Sandi and Orea, Angel, Shadow and Annie all down into our tornado shelter room in the basement, and then monitored the situation with our weather radios. We also kept the TV on and watched the reports there, and were watching the clouds from right outside our house for awhile.

They were far enough away that we knew we weren't in any real immediate danger, and we were prepared to go down in our basement as soon as the wind started coming up. I went down then, and my husband and son stayed upstairs to monitor the situation a little more. They never did come down, except to help bring the pets down when the sirens initially sounded. They have never been as close to one as I have.....

NoahsMommy
05-10-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm glad you're OK...that all sounds very scary.

Hugs, Kelly :)

lute
05-10-2005, 10:49 PM
glad to hear that ya'll are okie dokie! i HATE tornados!

kimlovescats
05-10-2005, 10:50 PM
I hate tornado season .... we've gotten some nasty ones here in Tennessee in the past few years. Glad you are all OK!;)

flamepony12
05-10-2005, 10:57 PM
I'm glad to hear you're okay, but remember to stay safe! :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-11-2005, 02:29 AM
Glad you're safe!!
I just hate tornado's! This is the only thing I hated in St.Louis, years ago :D

ramanth
05-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Glad you're okay.

LKPike
05-11-2005, 08:42 AM
tell us if you got to see dorthy and toto!! :eek:

I think tornados are awesome... as long as they stay away from my house... :o

Glad to hear your all safe :) :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-11-2005, 11:22 AM
I only came close to being in a tornado once - and that was enough for me! I, too, have a healthy respect for tornados and do not in the least think it's "wimpy" to head to the basement, but for some reason most of the guys I've ever know think that way. The time I came close was back in the early 80's. We lived on the second floor of an old farmhouse. The lady on the first floor and her kids and I headed to the basement. The guys stayed upstairs - on the second floor - so they could get a good view of the storm. :rolleyes:

Fortunately it didn't come that close to us, but quite about a mile away few barns were totally leveled. Scary stuff!

Glad you all stayed safe!