PDA

View Full Version : Help! photos are not dowloading!

catnapper
05-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Ok, the world is coming to a crashing halt --- my camera will not download the photos!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

It used to be that when I plugged in the USB, a window would pop up asking me what I wanted to do with the photos. I'd select "Save to my computer", and be on my merry way. Tonight, insytead of that pop-up I got "Removable Disc (G:)" And it won;t let me do ANYTHING. :confused:

Ok you computer gurus out here, what's wrong? What happened? And most importantly, how do I fix it?

sirrahbed
05-09-2005, 08:28 PM
Kim, I would start by re-loading your camera software - then go from there - OK??

catnapper
05-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Debbie, just did that. I rebooted the computer, did a system restore. Finally just reinstalled the software. To no avail! Waaaaaahhhhhhhhhh:( :( :( :(

And I had SUCH cute videos of Beau playing.

petslover
05-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Maybe your USB is turned backwards. I did that before and it took me forever to figure out why it wasn't working. If the cord is upside down in your computer it won't work.

catnapper
05-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Ok, tried that just now. It only plugs in one way. No upside down here. :(

sirrahbed
05-09-2005, 08:35 PM
It could be the cord then Kim - hopefully the cord and not the opening in your computer. Do you have another USB cable to try??

Yes, the cords only fit ONE way.

Also - look at the opening in your camera and check for bent pins - OK?

catnapper
05-09-2005, 08:36 PM
Hmmm... might have a second cord from when they gave me a replacement camera when the FIRST camera had USB issues. Please don't tell me I'm going to have to return my camera to Nikon for repairs like last time. It took FOREVER to get it back. :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-09-2005, 08:55 PM
I don't suppose you have a card reader in the house? If so, try that. I'm sure anything you took is on the card, it's just a matter of getting it off the card.

When the camera is plugged in, right click on the start button and then explore. See if you can see the camera there. It should show up like another drive. If so, you should be able to open the pics and save them that way. If you can't see the camera there as another drive, there is something wrong with your connection and the computer doesn't realize the camera is connected.

catnapper
05-09-2005, 10:22 PM
When I did the right click explore thing, the same pop-up came up saying "Removable Disc (G)" What one earth? I've NEVER seen that before! All hubby said was "AGAIN" when I told him I couldn't download photos. I love my camera, but honestly, Nikon doesn't have the best track record for downloading for me. :(

catnapper
05-10-2005, 08:54 AM
Ok folks, just figured out what is wrong with my camera -- the card must be bad. :( And I had what is quite possibly the BEST picture of Pouncer I've ever taken on him on there. Oh well, at elast I have the starter card that camewith the camera, and will run to Circuit City tonight and get a new one.

petslover
05-10-2005, 09:11 AM
I hate that your picture isn't there, but I'm glad you got it fixed.

My usb cord can be plugged in both ways. So thats why I was wondering.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
When I did the right click explore thing, the same pop-up came up saying "Removable Disc (G)" What one earth?

What that is is it's recognizing that the card is a "removable disc" meaning it's not an internal hard drive and it's connected to the "G" port on your computer. You should be able to click on the G and see what's "in" there just like you would click on "C" to see what files are there. You probably know this but you have several different drives on your computer. The "C" drive is the normal drive where everything is. Some have a "D" drive that has restore settings on it in case the C drive goes down. Then your CD ROM and/or DVD player have a designated drive letter. My DVD is "E" and my CD-RW is "F", yours might be the same but are probably different.

Since the "G" came up, it meant that the computer acknowledged the connection to the camera. Once you get the new card, take some pictures and leave them on the card and check out the G drive again. You will be able to see the pictures through the explore option by double clicking, and once you get the G drive view up, if you go up to your toolbar and click on view, then click on "thumbnail" you will be able to see thumbnails of all the pictures on your G drive - which is the card in your camera.

Got that? ;) It's all so much easier to explain in person, but I think you're pretty computer savvy so you should be able to figure it out. :)

catnapper
05-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Got that? ;) It's all so much easier to explain in person, but I think you're pretty computer savvy so you should be able to figure it out. :)
*faint* Me? computer savvy? thanks for the compliment! I'm s-l-o-w-l-y getting my way around computers. I put in the card that came with the camera. I took a picture, and the pop-up came up the way it normally does. I did try to explore the other card the way I would other folders on my computer, but nothing came up, and one of the folders came up as "corrupted" I don't know what I did, but obviously something to corrupt the card.

The card IS almost two years old, so two years with alllll those photos I took isn't a bad length of time. Anyone know how long a card would typically last? Anyone know where the best prices are to buy a new card. Ofcourse I'd like to find the most affordable way to go ;) But, I don't want to buy a cheapo card and need another one a month or so later.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-10-2005, 11:27 AM
On my camera there is an option to reformat the card which might help. I've never actually heard of a card going bad, but I suppose it's possible and it seems odd that if there was a problem with it that the camera didn't tell you that instead of letting you think you were taking good pics.

I've always used either Amazon.com or Best Buy for cards. Sometimes if you find a good price on Amazon you can print out the page and take it to Best Buy and ask them if they will match the price. They do have the price matching policy but sometimes they say it doesn't apply to online pricing, but I've already had them give in and give me the online price so it doesn't hurt to ask.

Also, don't cut yourself short by just buying the cheapest card. Sometimes for just a few dollars more you can double the capacity of the card. I've also noticed that the one card I bought is a "high speed" card - which I didn't know at the time. It saves pictures sooo much faster than the card that came with the camera. So do a little research and watch the specials in your Sunday paper.

But try the reformat first. If it doesn't work from your camera, try right clicking on the "G" and see if one of the options is reformat.