PDA

View Full Version : Hannah is not feeling very well :0(

ilovehounds
01-26-2002, 03:32 PM
Hannah has always had nights where she is very "windy" and quiet sometimes has the "runs" but last night at about 10:00 she was bloated her stomach was as hard as a rock. She was very uncomfortable and VERY "windy" from both ends. We don't have an all night vets office so I gave her some pepto bismol and a pepermint to chew on and rubbed her tummy till we went to sleep. She was up at about 2:30am to go to the bathroom and was still bloated, I gave her another pepermint and rubbed her tummy again till we fell asleep. Do you think it could be her food ?? she has been on Mainstay for about a year, and pedigree canned food.

She is fine today she has spent the day outside playing, her gass and bloating only happens in the evening after supper.

Any suggestions on what food would be good for her ?? I'll try anything but Iams.

Logan
01-26-2002, 04:01 PM
I have no suggestions for you right now, but why don't you call the nearest veterinary emergency center and describe just what you described to us, even if they are too far away to be of any help? They could advise you if what you are doing is the best possible way to handle it until you get to the vet.

Good luck with Hannah. Give her a big belly rub from us, and please keep us posted. Bloating is a scarey thing. I will keep her in my prayers.

Logan :)

tatsxxx11
01-26-2002, 04:01 PM
Poor baby Hannah! Bloat just scares the heck out me! It would seem strange that she would just suddenly start having a bad reaction to her food??? Is she eating at the same time in the PM., and the same amts.?? Does this happen after her AM feeding? My vet is always cautioning me on not feeding the girls large amts at one time, as both are "wolfers." And especially, no real strenuous exercise after, but also BEFORE eating!! (About 1 hr.) Has she been into anything strange lately, maybe out in the yard?? Table scraps?? Rawhides or chew bones? That's all I can think of at the moment! I would probably give the vet a call. And I would probably start off by offering her smaller amts. of her meal at a time; that is divide each meal into maybe 2 or 3 portions, 10 or so minutes apart; if that's possible. Sorry I don't any true medical advice to offer. Me, I ALWAYS head for the phone!! Hope Hannah is better, poor pupster. Lots of love and tummy rubs to you Hannah girl, from Sandra, Star and Cody!

ilovehounds
01-26-2002, 04:12 PM
She gets her meals same time everyday on the dot or I hear about it :) she is a "wolfer" she has her food eaten before I even get Copper's served. So I will devide it from now on.

She was out in the yard last night without me which never happens because I don't let her out at night unless Im with her. But my brother let her out and I didn't know it. The only thing she could have eaten was the rabbit food I put out for the wild rabbits. Maybe she ate that?? that might have done it ???

She was fine this morning so I didn't bother calling the vets and now I wish I had of. The vets are closed now.

I'll call first thing in the morning and see if someone will answer my questions.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted.

*LabLoverKEB*
01-26-2002, 05:14 PM
Oh, Angie, I'm sooo sorry to hear that your sweet Hannah is not feeling well.:( :( I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions!:o Give her a big hug, and a big belly-rub, for me!

Sarah & Sadie May:)

Gepansy
01-26-2002, 05:40 PM
I'm sorry she isn't feeling well.
I hope everything turns out ok!;)
Alyssa

KYS
01-26-2002, 06:35 PM
Poor Hanna. :(
You might want to call your vet and just let him know
what has been happening to Hanna.
Maybe he can offer some advice.
Bloat terrifies me.

lizbud
01-26-2002, 07:27 PM
ILoveHounds,

I'm so sorry that Hannah is having a problem...

I don't have anymore suggestions for you, but
think Sandra's advice and ideas are the same as
what I would offer..
Always thought that Bloat usually happens in
larger , deep-chested breeds...

Little Hannah will bet losts of Prayers & Good Wishes
coming her way tonight !!! Hugs from Buddy & Liz...

ilovehounds
01-29-2002, 09:57 PM
Sorry I forgot to keep you posted :rolleyes: my memory

Hannah is fine, it was the rabbit food somekinda reaction, gas build up ....... I forget the technical terms :rolleyes: memory again.

But anyway she is fine back to her old trouble making self.

We also got that gas problem under controll, better food did the trick.

I felt so bad about her getting into the rabbits food and then I felt so bad that I would have to stop feeding them, so I created a quick fix and I put the food out in dishes after Hannah's last bathroom trip and pick them up in the morning if there is any left before she goes out. Ahhh everyone is happy :D

aly
01-29-2002, 10:03 PM
I'm so glad Hannah is back to normal, the rabbits still get food, and all is well! :D

Try to stay outta trouble Hannah girl!!

delidog
01-30-2002, 11:30 AM
oh angie!!! i am glad that dear hannah is feeling better....i would still get her to a vet.....and feed her less but more often so her stomach is continually working...bloat is nothing to fool with...... please keep us posted!!!!! delilah sends her best wishes!!!!!

Dixieland Dancer
01-30-2002, 12:47 PM
I am glad Hannah is feeling better. I found this on the net about bloat.

Recommendations to help avoid Canine Bloat:

Veterinarians continue to study the bloat problem and still have many unanswered questions. Researchers prepared the following recommendations to help prevent canine bloat. You should discuss these recommendations with your veterinarian and other Great Dane owners:

1. Feed the dogs two or three times daily, rather than once a day, and at times when someone can observe them after they have eaten.
2. Avoid vigorous exercise, excitement and stress one hour before and two hours after feeding. Walking is okay because it helps stimulate normal gastrointestinal function.
3. Feed dogs individually and in a quiet location.
4. Make diet changes gradually over a 3-5 day period.
5. Ensure water is always available but limit the amount immediately after feeding.
6. Watch for any actions or behavior that may signal abdominal discomfort (abdominal fullness, pacing, salivating, whining, getting up and lying down, stretching, looking at abdomen, anxiety and unsuccessful attempts to vomit, etc.

Bloat phases, symptoms and recommended actions:

A. Canine Bloat (GASTRIC DILATION-VOLVULUS) is an acute disease or digestive problem believed to be caused by excessive swallowing of air while eating, gastrointestinal secretions, and gas for food fermenting in the stomach.

BLOAT IS A LIFE-THREATENING EMERGENCY.

B. Some symptoms may be anxiety, evidence of abdominal fullness after meals, heavy salivating, whining, pacing, getting up and lying down, stretching, looking at abdomen, unproductive attempts to vomit, labored breathing, disinterest in food, and stilted gait. Severe symptoms, such as dark red, blue, grey or white gums, a rapid heartbeat and a weak pulse are normally followed by prostration and death.

BLOAT PHASES, SYMPTOMS AND RECOMMENDED ACTIONS

PHASE1

SYMPTOMS:

1. Pacing, restlessness, panting and salivating.
2. Unproductive attempts to vomit (every 10-20 minutes).
3. Abdomen exhibits fullness and beginning to enlarge.

ACTIONS:
Call Veterinarian to advise of bloat case enroute. Transport dog to
Veterinarian immediately.

PHASE 2

SYMPTOMS:

1. Very restless, whining, panting continuously, heavy salivating.
2. Unproductive attempts to vomit (every 2-3 minutes).
3. Dark red gums.
4. High heart rate (80 to 100 BPM).
5. Abdomen is enlarged and tight, emits hollow sound when thumped.

ACTIONS:
Apply first aid if Veterinarian care is more than 10 minutes away.
Then, transport dog to Veterinarian immediately.

PHASE 3

SYMPTOMS:

1. Gums are white or blue
2. Dog unable to stand or has a spread-legged, shaky stance.
3. Abdomen is very enlarged.
4. Extremely high heart rate (100 BPM or greater)and weak pulse.
ACTIONS:
Death is imminent! Apply first aid immediately. Transport dog to
Veterinarian as soon as possible (even while applying first aid if
possible).

tatsxxx11
01-30-2002, 02:15 PM
I'm so relieved to here that Hannah is doing well. I was really worried there! Bloat terrifies me more than any other doggie emergency. My Star and Cody both have deep chests and "wolf" their food. I follow the steps as described above re: eating, especially since Star pleads to go outside and run and play full out right after eating! As many of you know, we lost a much loved Pet Talk pal to bloat last year. He was gone in a few hours.:( Anyone with larger dogs, or dogs with deep chests, should be especially wary. Thanks Candice for posting the signs and symptoms and emergency steps. So scary!!

ilovehounds
01-30-2002, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the great info.

We did go to the vets, she said she douted it was bloat, she said just a reaction to the rabbit food.

But Im glade you posted the bloat info, just to be on the safe side. If really sounds scary :( If anything like that happens again I will take her right away just to be 100%sure.

I just hope it doesn't happen late at night or on a sunday. Our vets don't work then isnt that terrible ??? When Hercules snapped his leg my brother had to call all over then finally a answering machine gave an emerganct number and it was to a vets home and they had to wait an hour for her to drive to the clinic.