PDA

View Full Version : strained/sprained tail?

finn's mom
05-09-2005, 07:45 AM
Hey, everyone. Hopefully, Finn's tail isn't broken. :( He's definitely feeling pain, though. I noticed it yesterday evening, and, I tried to feel his tail. He cried and growled and pulled away. He was incredibly restless and couldn't lay in one spot for more than a few minutes. Very unusual behavior for him. He had a really busy day yesterday, playing in the lake with a bunch of people, so, I know he could have pulled a muscle or something. But, I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help him out or if I should just let him be for a day or two. I was thinking I should just leave him alone and see if he feels any better tonight and tomorrow. I was able to hold his tail and gently tug to see if I heard anything or felt anything move strangely. I can hold his tail up and move it around and from side to side, so, I'm THINKING it's not broken. But, I'm just worried. Probably too much. :) I'll let you all know how he is tonight or tomorrow, though, either way. Thanks for letting me vent.

LKPike
05-09-2005, 08:11 AM
I dont know :(:( Poor Finn :(:(

Jillie had a problem with a paw and her shoulder, we were able to wrap the paw to keep her off it and preventing a possible break. With the shoulder we just let her alone for a day and kept her restricted and it was back to normal :)

I hope your feeling better soon Finn!!!

finn's mom
05-09-2005, 09:09 AM
I think it's just bruised or strained. He seems to be feeling better today, though. He ran around outside and chased sticks. :) His tail is obviously not right, but, I think it's going to be ok. :)

LKPike
05-09-2005, 10:34 AM
awww thats good news :) as long as his tail doesnt seem to be broken, that should heal with time too :)

Bigyummydog
05-09-2005, 10:36 AM
poor lil FINN......:( hope you feel better soon....:)

Dixieland Dancer
05-09-2005, 12:26 PM
What you describe sounds like "Limber Tail". There is no absolute reason known to cause it, however, it is believed to be muscle strain from the dog using the tail more vigorously than normal. A lot of veternarians are not familiar with it. Working breeds seem to be more susceptible. I'm sure if you do a search on the net under Limber tail or Frozen tail you will find a few hits.

Dixie has had this several times and Dusty has had it once. Both of them usually got it after vigorous workouts and swimming in colder than normal temperatures. It takes one to two weeks to completely heal (depending on how bad it is). Rest is recommended for the first few days and after that miminal exercise until the tail starts to freely wag again.

There is swelling and pain associated with this condition. Depending on how severe it is you may want to consider taking them to the vet for a anti-inflammatory and pain shot. Dusty's was mild and he didn't require a shot. I just gave him some coated aspirin for a day or two. Dixie's was a lot more severe so she got the cortisone shot.

I hope this was informational and Finn is doing better soon.

k9krazee
05-09-2005, 02:45 PM
I found a link and I hope Finn feels better soon!

Limber Tail (http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/limbertail-update704.html)

finn's mom
05-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Thank you! I didn't go to the link yet, but, it sounds like what he's going through. He swam a lot yesterday! And, I noticed he seemed to really use his tail as a rudder a lot more than normal. I know he got more exercise than normal. I'll be sure to keep an eye out on him and make sure he starts to get better. Coated aspirin is okay to give, though? I'll get some today!

finn's mom
05-09-2005, 03:54 PM
I just read the link and yeah, that's what he has. That makes me feel better! And, I know he feels better today even than he did last night. He acted all over ill last night. Today, his tail just looks funny, but, he's basically acting like his normal self again. :)

LauraT7
05-10-2005, 10:28 PM
My Tara had this years ago, and I know exactly what you mean...

these guys are just so 'happy' that it's tough to see them NOT wagging their tails like their normal, happy selves. It just seems so weird to have a golden or lab without that constant tail-wag!

But it will heal on it's own, and you can give him coated aspirin and even an ice-pack to reduce the swelling, if his tail is swollen.

Today, he's probably not even hurting anymore, even if he's still not wagging that tail! He 'looks' much sadder than he probably is, without his customary 'happy meter'!

give him an extra hug - he'll be back to normal soon!

laura

finn's mom
05-11-2005, 06:29 AM
Finn is doing much better! He only looked like he wasn't feeling well that first night. His tail is still basically at half mast, but, it's getting a little better each day. :)