PDA

View Full Version : Can you pass human germs to your cat?

Sirrahsim
05-09-2005, 03:37 AM
Paul and I have both been feeling sick for the last week and now Boomer is slinking around acting puny. Are cold germs contagious to cats? He looks so pitiful and his fur looks so dull. Do I need to take him to the vet? Or would he get over it like hubby and I did?I had antibiotics, but hubby just put up with it.

Thanks for your help :)

Sirrahsim
05-09-2005, 03:40 AM
I should add that he isn't acting like he has a cold. His eyes aren't runny and his nose is cold and moist as usual. He just looks pitiful.

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-09-2005, 04:25 AM
I think he is feeling that you're about to go away and get Tyler...:D ! Give him a good hug, that is purrfect medicine!!

Soapets
05-09-2005, 05:41 AM
I'd take him to the Vet., but I may be too much of a worry-wart! Sometimes worms can cause the dullness in the coat. Is there a possibility that he could have worms of some kind? Take a poop sample to the Vet. to be tested, just to be safe........

Let us know how things go......

Sirrahsim
05-09-2005, 06:52 AM
I think that you might be right Lut:) I sat down with him and played for close to 30 minutes and he was perky as ever. I guess he must be feeling a little left out with all of the baby preparation. He always was a little overly sensitive for a cat:rolleyes: :D :D :D
I will keep an eye on him and make sure that he doesn't start acting really sick though:)

christa
05-09-2005, 06:59 AM
I'd say that he can "sense" some change! Cats seem to know when things are going to change . . . and they don't like it!

I know whenever hubby & I have to be away overnight, Josie gets so affectionate & lovey dovey right before . . . like she knows we're going to leave her.

Just keep reassuring him . . . play with him as much as you can. He'll soon see that he's not going to get left out in the cold!

;)

sirrahbed
05-09-2005, 07:06 AM
Hey Missy - I once asked the vet about sharing germs with cats. His answer was that *rarely* and when it is, it is us getting some sort of nasty from the cats - but he emphasized *rarely*.

When we get out the suitcases - the kitties know something is going on and they always act different. Like others have said - they really sense the change of tension in the air. Just keep reassuring Boomer that he is #1 Kitty:D

catmandu
05-09-2005, 08:53 AM
I have always heard,that it is very rare,for Human Germs,to cross over,to A Cat,and vice versa.And we are gald,that the Boomer,is feeling ,a lot Better.Does Boomer,need a BoBo Hug?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos716.jpg