PDA

View Full Version : Sick Phoebe, our hammie

Logan
01-26-2002, 01:50 PM
Helen and I are worried. Phoebe is our darling little mischevious girl. She's been slowing down a lot, hair is thinning, all signs to me that she is coming to the end of her life :( . She has developed a terrible "palsy like" quiver all over, and hardly opens her eyes. Last night, I was very concerned. I had a houseful of little girls here to celebrate Helen's birthday, and I noticed something was wrong, so I moved her to a quieter place in my bedroom and closed the door. I was terribly worried and we both shed a few tears. Same thing this morning.

She did brighten up a little bit this afternoon while we were holding her and petting her, and is back in her bed, resting comfortably now. She ate a small piece of lettuce, which I felt would help to keep her hydrated since she isn't venturing out of her bed very much. Helen enticed her to eat a yogurt drop this morning, so maybe there is some hope for her.

I can only hope that our little brown girl will go peacefully if she goes. We're hoping she will perk up and be with us for a long time to come. This is just too soon after losing Evelyn over the summer.

Here she is in Helen's pocket. One of my alltime favorites.

http://www.photogra.com/galleries/34799/curr/1563998_20020126_144930_20020126144930.jpg

Please keep Phoebe and Helen in your thoughts.

A worried mom :( ,
Logan

zippy-kat
01-26-2002, 01:59 PM
Oh Logan & Helen, your story about little Phoebe has me in tears. :( I hope by the time you read this, Little Phoebe is doing 100% better!

Know you guys are in my thoughts & prayers!
{hugs}
Tonya

thelmalu99
01-26-2002, 02:03 PM
Logan,
I'm so sorry to hear that your cutie, Phoebe is not doing well. Hamsters are so adorable, and unfortunately, they don't live very long at all. I really hope that Phoebe will perk up and be with you for a long time.

PS-Please give Helen my belated happy birthday wishes.:)

Logan
01-26-2002, 03:36 PM
Thanks you guys. She actually came out of her bed a few minutes ago and drank some water from the bottle, unassisted. That is positive. I don't feel terribly hopeful, but at least she's perked up a little. It helps Helen so much.

Love you all.
Logan

Emiley
01-26-2002, 05:17 PM
I am praying for her! Please tell us if any breaking news happens!

-Emiley

Logan
01-26-2002, 05:31 PM
Thank you, Emiley. So far, so good. She is resting peacefully, although her breathing is very labored. This could just be the beginning. But thank you for your thoughts and prayers. It means the world to me. Really! :) And Helen too.

Love,
Logan

Cinder & Smoke
01-26-2002, 06:52 PM
Dear Helen and Momma Logan ~

We're sorrie poor lil Phoebe the Hammie duzint feel so good :(.

We'll cross our pawz tonight and ask Dad to say a Prayer for her at bed time.

Wishin you all the best...

:( :(

shais_mom
01-26-2002, 07:06 PM
Thinking of You Phoebe Girl!

michelene
01-26-2002, 08:51 PM
Phoebe and Helen are in my prayers tonight, too.

aly
01-26-2002, 11:20 PM
Logan,

My heart sank when I saw the subject of this post. Then the tears came after reading what you wrote. This is the hardest part about having pets in our lives. Try to help Helen focus on all the good times. I know you both are strong and will be able to help Phoebe through her last part of life (no matter how much longer she has). My thoughts and prayers are with you. I pray Phoebe will perk up and maybe have nothing seriously wrong with her.

I still think about Evelyn :(

zippy-kat
01-26-2002, 11:51 PM
http://www.photogra.com/galleries/35108/thumb/4360047_20020126_234358_20020126234358_t.jpg

AN ANIMALS PRAYER

Hear our humble prayer, O God, for our friends the animals, especially for animals who are suffering ... We entreat for them all Thy mercy and pity...

Logan
01-27-2002, 12:17 AM
As if the thought of losing Phoebe wasn't enough.....all of you, being so supportive is wonderful. Phoebe is sleeping tonight, when she should be awake ( Olivia is very awake) But, she is quiet although her breathing continues to be very labored.

Tonight, we took pictures...so late in her life, but necessary. I held and Helen snapped. She may hang on, but I'm not sure....

Thank you for your prayers and good wishes. I don't think it matters what kind of pet they are. It is just that they are one we love. And we LOVE Phoebe. She was our replacement for Rusty, and when he died, I held his little body in a towel until he took a last breath. Phoebe will go with the same dignity...only I hope she will last a while longer for us.

I am thinking, "no more hamsters", and Helen's thinking is very different. We'll see.

gini
01-27-2002, 11:57 AM
Logan, my heart goes out to you and Helen. It is so heartbreaking when you see your beloved pet fail in health.

I send you my prayers.

Gini

Logan
01-27-2002, 01:27 PM
Hi everyone, and good Sunday afternoon to you all. Phoebe is still breathing terribly hard, but she is breathing. We now have a number for a small animal veterinarian that we can try to call tomorrow. Since Helen heard the woman at the pet store give me the number, I will have to follow through. I fear our little girl is just getting older. But we will see if there is a possiblity of anything else being wrong. She did drink a lot of water this morning on her own. That was good.

Thanks for thinking of us. I'll keep you posted.
You are great friends.

Logan :)

tatsxxx11
01-27-2002, 03:00 PM
Bless you precious little Phoebe girl. Logan, I hope that she continues to rally until tomorrow when you can speak to a vet. This is so heartbreaking. Not matter how small, all our furbabies are special. Our prayers are with you dear Phoebe. Your Mom and sister Helen love you so much. Love, Sandra and the Furkids

AdoreMyDogs
01-27-2002, 03:30 PM
Oh bless you little Phoebe, sweet Helen, and dear Logan :( I will say a prayer for one of the tinest members of PT :( I so remember the pain that I went through with my childhood hammies' death. It's NEVER east, whether it's a dog, a cat, a bird, a fish or a hammie :(

I hope miss Phoebe is free from pain and is planning on staying on this earth longer. Maybe it's just a bad cold and it will pass...I hope it passes, but if not, then know that we will be there for you and Helen every step of the way.

God bless you and your family :(

On a lighter note, please wish Helen a happy belated birthday for me.

tatsxxx11
01-28-2002, 03:40 PM
How is Phoebe doing today Logan???:confused:

Logan
01-28-2002, 03:52 PM
Strangely enough, she's hanging in there, Sandra. Thanks for asking. I will admit that on Friday night, I thought she was a goner. But even this morning, Helen and I saw her reaching out of her bed and grabbing a sunflower seed. She is very inactive though, and doesn't open her little eyes all the way. Very little movement, and when she does, she ends up parking herself whereever she ended up. That is unusual because they normally sleep in the exact same spot.

She is getting lots of love and attention. Helen is holding her a lot in a towel, and stroking her. If these are her final days, at least they are filled with love. What else can we do? :( The vet and the pet store folks all agree that she is showing her age. She has no other signs of illness.

I'll keep you all posted. Keep up those good thoughts. As long as she isn't in pain, I'd like to have our Phoebe around for a long time.

Logan

C.C.'s Mom
01-29-2002, 09:25 AM
I just came across this post. I'm so sorry to hear about Phoebe. We'll all be thinking about you.

lizbud
01-29-2002, 02:08 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Phoebe has been ill. I didn't see
this post till today... Bless her little Hammie heart.!!! Hope
Phoebe makes a quick recovery, and is able to stay with
you guys for a long time yet.
That picture of Sweet Phoebe in Helen's pocket is Adorable.
It's definately POTD material !!! Prayers for Phoebe.... Liz.

Logan
01-29-2002, 02:23 PM
Thank you , Liz and CC's mom. I'm afraid that it is only a matter of time for our Phoebe :( . She is holding on, but that is about it. If it gets too bad, I will take her to vet, but I hope she can go on her own.

We appreciate all of your good thoughts.

Logan

sammi
01-29-2002, 09:26 PM
So sorry that your pet you love so much named Phoebe is so ill. But like you said I believe Logan that her last days will be filled with love. I feel your pain tonight for you and Helen.

AmberLee
01-29-2002, 09:44 PM
{{{Phoebe, Helen, Logan}}},

:( Holding you all in our thoughts and prayers.

Logan
01-30-2002, 11:05 AM
Helen and I want to say another big "thanks" to all of you for your prayers and concerns. I actually considered taking her in to be relieved of her misery today, but she is still hanging on, and sleeping, and occasionally, wandering out of her little bed to get a bite to eat and drink. We're watching her closely, and crossing our fingers that she isn't suffering. I will say, she looks so much better than she did Friday night, but still is not her normal active self.

Logan

Randi
01-30-2002, 11:46 AM
We just want to say that little Phoebe is in our minds, she is a tough little one! We know you're doing what you can to comfort her. Glad to hear she had a bite and a drink!

We'll keep our fingers and paws crossed for her!

tatsxxx11
01-30-2002, 02:36 PM
We love you little Phoebe...Logan, I know that you are making her as comfortable as possible. This is so heartbreaking. You and Helen and Phoebe are in our thoughts and prayers always. Love, Sandra

slleipnir
01-30-2002, 10:00 PM
Hope things get better..shes a cutie..get well soon little hammie

slleipnir
01-30-2002, 10:00 PM
ah..ok i feel stupid..i didnt read that later part..i'm sorry!!!!!!!!!!

tatsxxx11
01-31-2002, 06:21 PM
How's Phoebe doing Logan????:confused:

Logan
01-31-2002, 11:27 PM
Not good, Sandra, but for some reason, she's still holding on. I can't believe it. :( It is a pitiful sight. I emailed you earlier with a complete update on Phoebe and Roger (our bright spot :) )

Phred
02-01-2002, 10:12 AM
Logan reported that Dear Phoebe the Hammie passed on to the Rainbow Bridge Thursday night / Friday morning. :(

Visit Logan's post at:
Phoebe is at the Rainbow Bridge. (http://64.246.0.213/talk/showthread.php?s=&postid=85233#post85233)

Rest in Peace, Phoebe.
Our thoughts are with Logan and Helen.

:(