PDA

View Full Version : Oh,geez...

sammy101
05-08-2005, 05:11 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Man Carves Runaway Bride on Piece of Toast

NEWTON, N.J. - A man has made the case of runaway Georgia bride Jennifer Wilbanks the toast of eBay. Perry Lonzello, 48, says he carved a rudimentary drawing of Wilbanks on a piece of toasted Wonder Bread and posted it on eBay on a whim.

"I just carved it on there real quick and put it on there as a joke," Lonzello told the Daily Record of Parsippany for Friday's newspapers.

As of about 5 p.m. Friday, Lonzello's eBay posting had 134,300 visits and 111 bids made on the toast, with a top bid of $15,400. Bidding closes Sunday.

The toast is still a long way from equaling the grilled cheese sandwich with an image of the Virgin Mary that sold for $28,000 on eBay in 2004.

Lonzello said he plans to donate money from the auction to charity.

Calls to phone listings for Lonzello rang unanswered Friday.

An eBay spokesman said the high bidding on the toast but another example of the auction site reflecting popular culture.

"It's just another example of eBay acting as a mirror of what's on people's minds, particularly what's on the news if it's funny or unusual," said eBay spokesman Hani Durzy.

With so many bids on the toast, Durzy advised that it might be wise for Lonzello to set up a system where he preapproves bidders to make sure they are legitimate, something Lonzello hadn't yet done.

Sometimes people make bids on such items without realizing that it is a legally binding sales contract, Durzy said.

Wilbanks' three-day disappearance last week, shortly before her scheduled 600-guest wedding, sparked a nationwide search, with family and friends afraid she was the victim of foul play.

It turned out that Wilbanks had run away on her own, fleeing by bus to Las Vegas and eventually to Albuquerque, N.M.

___

Information from: Daily Record, http://www.dailyrecord.com

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050507/ap_on_fe_st/runaway_bride_toast

moosmom
05-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Sounds like he's got WAAAAAAY to much time on his hands. Who the heck is going to want a stale (it will be by the time it's sold) piece of toast with something scratched on it??? DUH!!

jackie
05-09-2005, 04:36 AM
He is donating the money to charity.

A good man in my books! :D

Vette
05-09-2005, 05:21 AM
And i thought i had too much free time

LKPike
05-09-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by jackie
He is donating the money to charity.

uuuuh huh. And whos gonna do the follow-up to see that he keeps his word?? hmmm??? :p

Bigyummydog
05-09-2005, 01:43 PM
ewww! moldy toast........:p

jackie
05-09-2005, 03:11 PM
uuuuh huh. And whos gonna do the follow-up to see that he keeps his word?? hmmm???

I read the same thing as you. I don't need to be cynical about everything. :)

CathyBogart
05-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Uuuh...the things people will buy....

wolfsoul
05-10-2005, 03:09 PM
That amuses me, and at the same time I'm glad people are dumb enough to bid on junk like that. Gives me hope for the future when I'm poor and need cash. :p ;)

cali
05-10-2005, 03:14 PM
all righty then lol while people starve in 3rd world contrys we spend $15,400 on a single peice of toast :eek: well, my hope for humanity is lost :D