PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Virginia!

Laura's Babies
05-08-2005, 05:13 AM
Rie and I made it yesterday. Seeing Eddie that first time just about killed me but his face will not be disfigured. He is burned from his neck down to knees, front and back.. Folks, to see your son, laying there, knowing what is ahead is AWFUL!! He is strong and doing great for the shape he is in. He had surgery yesterday that was suppose to last 2 hours but he did so good, they kept going for 5 hours. He has to have more surgery tomorrow to do his back.. Scrap off the burned skin and put on grafts. He is in a drug induced coma and will be kept like that until all the worst is over here in the beginning stages..

They have FREE computers here for us to use in the caferteria and up where we are staying so I can get on from time to time. There is wireless in the cafeteria also but I have to take time to set up my laptop to work with their system and I need to do that when I am not so distracted.. I have to cut this short for now but I will be checking in from time to time... Maybe not daily but at least I can stay in touch!! Thanks you all for prayers and support and keep the prayers coming...

jenluckenbach
05-08-2005, 05:30 AM
Oh dear Laura! I will be sending you all my prayers, and hugs.

Grace
05-08-2005, 06:31 AM
I'm so glad you got there safely. My prayers are with you all.

King Spartacus
05-08-2005, 06:39 AM
I am so glad you got there safely, and we'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how it goes!

Soft purries from King Spartacus, and a huge big hug from his mamma!

QueenScoopalot
05-08-2005, 07:09 AM
I'm happy you're there now with your son, and family. Although he may not be aware of you being there, I'm sure he's comforted by the feeling of family around him. He sounds like a fighter, and may well surprise every one by getting out of the hospital faster then anyone expects. :eek: ;) Still saying prayers for Eddie. Check in with us when you can Laura, and stay strong. ;) (((HUGS)))

Soapets
05-08-2005, 07:13 AM
Keeping him, and you and the rest of the family in my constant thoughts and prayers..........

smokey the elder
05-08-2005, 07:38 AM
Prayers for your son. I think burn healing tech is much better than it used to be.

catmandu
05-08-2005, 08:13 AM
The Found Cats,Strays,Rehomed Strays and Angels,are tripling thier prayers,for Edward,and pray,that his recoveryis as fast,and painless as possible.Thats a very good sign,that he could take all,that surgery.Get well soon,Edward,and a Happy Mothers Day,to You,Laura.

ChrisH
05-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Oh, Laura, .... many prayers and positive thoughts on the way for your Eddie and you.

{{big hugs}}
Chris

Craftlady
05-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Keeping good thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

kimlovescats
05-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Dear Laura ... I am so glad that you have been reunited with your son. Thank GOD, his face will not be disfigured and his surgery went so well! How wonderful that he is being so strong, and that they put him into a drug-induced coma to spare him anymore trauma at this time. Honey, my thoughts and prayers are with you all the time. So glad you will be able to keep in touch!

Loads of hugs and love,
Kim;)

momcat
05-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Dear Laura and Rie,
I'm so happy to hear that you made it to Virginia and that Eddie was able to tolerate the surgery so well. I won't say I know what you both are going through right now because I've never been where you are. But as a mom myself, I can understand how painful, frightening, and difficult it must be. As moms, we simply cannot bear to see our kids hurting like this. Eddie was our prayer concern this morning during our church service and the prayers will continue. The congregation of Bethany Presbyterian Church here in Trenton prays for Eddie's full and speedy recovery. Laura and Rie, this prayer was also for both of you too. May God hold all of you close to Him, give you the strength and courage to face whatever may lie ahead. Even though Eddie is in a medically induced coma, believe that he knows you're there! Holding each of you in my thoughts, heart, and prayers. It is no secret what God can do, what He's done for others,He'll do for you.............
Wishing you all God's blessings!

rg_girlca
05-08-2005, 01:33 PM
My heart goes out to you and Rie Rie. I can only imagine what it must have been like for you to see your son in that condition. I'm glad to hear the surgery went well and that they have him in a drug-induced coma to avoid the pain the poor fella must be going through.

Prayers and positive thoughts for Eddie, you and your family.

I'm happy to know that you will be able to check in from time to time.

Hang in there Laura and know that we are here for you.

((((((HUGS))))))

Killearn Kitties
05-08-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm so sorry I missed the original story, Laura. I'll go and find it now, but just sending very best wishes to you all first. Sounds as if your son is being well looked after.

Take care of yourself. It will be lovely to hear from you whenever you can check in.

kittycats_delight
05-08-2005, 01:55 PM
http://www.hpwebcreations.com/blinks/images/blinkies/h-yurinprayers.gif

I am so glad to know you made it there safely. Even if your son has not seen you yet due to the coma I know he knows you are with him. He can feel it! Of this I am positve. It's great to know he made it through the sugery so well and my prayers are with you during this time. Extra prayers and good vibes to come for his next surgery day. We think of you always and wish all your family love and support through this trying time.

furrykidsmother
05-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Glad to hear that you made it there safely. Prayers to you and your family.

sirrahbed
05-08-2005, 05:53 PM
oh Laura - my heart keeps wandering up to Virginia to be with you, especially this Mother's Day. I felt so happy today, and yet very weepy that I can't be with my daughter - and once again - I thought of you....

Thank God that his face was not harmed - and for the pain they are able to keep him from with medication. Today - I kept looking at my own strong son - and my mind wandered up there to be with you again. I cannot begin to imagine the agony you must feel.

But, his life is spared...and he will get better!! I hope you know how much so many of us love you here. (((Hugs))) to you, Laura!

Love and Prayers to you, Marie, Eddie, and family.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Oh Laura, I can't imagine what you and your family are going through. Sounds like the good news is your son takes after his mother and is a strong person who will overcome this hurdle that was so cruelly thrown at him.

{{{hugs}}} to you, Rie, his wife and the rest of your family.

Laura's Babies
05-09-2005, 11:21 AM
I was not able to get on the computer yesterday for updates and I left all my "puter"information(passwords ect)in the room,thinking they were in my purse so I am not able to update the family web sight until, hopefully later today..

One of Eddies lungs collasped this morning so todays surgery has been delayed until they have given it time to reinflate. They said this happens in 1 out of 10 that are on the resperators. There was a blister on his lungs caused by either him smoking or chemicals that were in the explosion that busted and those chemicals caused the collasped lung.. This computer I am on is AWFUL so I am going to cut this short and hope I can get backon later on the one upstairs.. The keyboard spacer works on this one about half the time you hit it.. Sorry!!

rg_girlca
05-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Prayers and positive thoughts on the way that your son overcomes this hurtle.

Please Laura, don't apologize for not being on the computer, that is the least of your worries.

We ALL understand and that you will update us whenever you can.

((((((HUGS))))))

Edwina's Secretary
05-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Thinking of your Eddie and you during this difficult time...

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Oh my, I missed the original thread, so I tried to find it! Here it is, in case others want to read it too!
http://67.15.70.205/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78356
and
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78430

Laura, I am so sorry to hear what happened to your son! This must have been such a shock to see your son now. Burning wounds look really awful...:eek: . I am happy that he is getting surgery now. Nowadays they can so much for this, so he will get all better, promise! It will take him a long time, but he will be okay again!! I know, cause a cousin burned his leg really bad years ago. Now, you can hardly see it!

Hang in there, Laura, we are all praying for Eddie!!:)

Soapets
05-09-2005, 01:33 PM
My ChristCare prayer group at my church added him, and you, to our prayers during our meeting yesterday......... We will continue to keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers.

Randi
05-09-2005, 01:40 PM
I have only just seen this too. I'm SO very sorry to hear about the severe burns your son got. :(

Many years ago, I got 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my body, and was in hospital for 5 weeks. I had skin transplanted from my thigh to my arm. It was a long and hard recovery, but in the end I healed up. I really hope your son will too!!

I'll be sending lots of positive and healing thoughts to him - and hugs to you!

MULTICATMOM
05-09-2005, 03:35 PM
I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW!!

catfamily
05-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Poor Eddie.He's going through so much.I hope his lungs clear 100%.All this is so horrible for him to go through.Poor guy.Prayers on the way and some for you to help you through this too.

kimlovescats
05-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Sorry to hear about Eddie's lung, hope and pray this can be corrected soon. At least it is a "normal" complication!:(

Hugs and Prayers,
Kim

momcat
05-09-2005, 04:56 PM
The prayers continue.....

Laura's Babies
05-09-2005, 07:40 PM
He is in surgery now. They didn't take him back there until about 5 to 6 pm and we don't know how long this will take. I came back up to the place we are staying to take a bath and get a moment alone to regroup...

I have made some decisions though. I WILL go back to work June 22 as scheduled.. They told me that now is the easy time on us, it is later that it will get rough so go on back then. (THEY told me to go back to work!) On my off time, I will come here instead of going home to help out however I can...

Estimated times for things, coma, possiably as long a 3 to 4 months.. That is right in ICU where he is now, then to the regular ward for 5 to 6 months.. Then month of rehab and stuff and there is no idea of the condition he will end up in as far as ever being able to work again, rather his eye sight or hearing has been effected and so on.

I still have not been able to get into the family web sight to update there but I am working on a plan for that and hope I can get that done by the week end..

Logan
05-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Laura, your family is in for some long, hard months. I'm glad your schedule will allow you to be there to help out. Please know that your son is in our prayers. Thank you so much for keeping us updated.

Logan

QueenScoopalot
05-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Dearest Laura, We're all still saying prayers that Eddie will get through this with relative comfort, and that you can be strong through it all. Burn victims have come a long way in the fact that their own skin can be grown for grafting now, something that wasn't available too long ago. I'm sure the constant bandage changing must be awful, but GOD's looking out for Eddie and your entire family. ;) And PTers are praying for his recovery, and no more setbacks. ;) Thanks for the update, and hang in there my dear friend. ((HUGS)) Jan

christa
05-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Still thinking of you, Laura . . . and praying for your son . . . sounds like it's going to be a rough road ahead.

Hang in there, Laura! :)

Laura's Babies
05-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Updates on this websight

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=649433&CategoryID=424441&startcat=1&ThreadID=2049977

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-10-2005, 09:34 AM
I think the doctors are right, Laura. Right now he is in the best hands possible and there's not much you can do but be there. However, he and is family are going to need your help further down the road as he's recovering and re-learning how to do things and everyone will be learning how to live again since their lives have changed so dramatically.

Still thinking about you and your family and praying his recovery continues to go so well.

kimlovescats
05-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Still praying, Laura ... and I posted on the family site!

Love,
Kim;)

momcat
05-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Dear Laura,
I just read your latest update on Eddie, one day at a time. One of my co-workers was seriously burned in a house fire a year ago and she was in a medically induced coma. We were told the doctors did it to keep her from moving around so that the healing process could start. It's a blessing that Eddie doesn't feel the pain now. A lot lies ahead for all of you and at times will probably be unbearable. It's so hard to find the words to express how terrible I feel about this tragedy and I wish I knew how to make all of this go away. Perhaps many others, like myself, feel totally helpless; what to say, what to do for all of you. Laura, take care of yourself. Even though you may be completely overwhelmed, get your rest, be sure to eat and if you need to vent or scream or cry, come to us. Your PT family is here for you. My thoughts and prayers remain with you! God bless.....

Laura's Babies
05-11-2005, 04:09 PM
We had a very happy dance day.. They let Eddie come up from the coma some today..a "medication vacation" and he opened his eyes some. I did not see the BIG BROWNS I have been wanting to see but I saw brown! He is in surgery right now.

His wife regina asked that I request committments for LONG TERM prayers. She is so afraid that in a month or two, people will forget and he will need those prayers just as bad then as he does now so for all of you who wishes you could do more... that is what you can do. Keep him on all those lists for one to two years and on your own list.

rg_girlca
05-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Oh Laura, I can't help but cry whenever I am reading this thread.
My heart goes out to you and all your family.

You tell Regina that we will NOT forget Eddie and will continue to pray for him.

catfamily
05-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Long term prayers for Eddie from here to there.

momcat
05-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Hi, Laura!
Eddie is a prayer concern at my church to stay. I assure you, he will not be taken off of Bethany's concern list at any time for any reason. Once he's healed, completely recovered, and back to being your Eddie again, prayers of thanks will continue to be offered. You, Rie, and Regina are on that list too. And, like Eddie, will remain for as long as it takes. Eddie WILL NOT be forgotten. Please know I'm with you for as long as this may take. Lots of prayers, thoughts, and love coming straight at all of you. Update us as you can.....

DJFyrewolf36
05-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Eddie will be in my prayers for as long as he needs them and so will the ENTIRE family! I believe strongly in prayer as I know I was saved by it many times.

God bless you and your family in this difficult time

Soapets
05-11-2005, 09:23 PM
LONG-TERM prayers from Nebraska, too.....he, and you, will NOT be forgotten!

Logan
05-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Laura, Eddie has been added to our prayer group as well and will remain there for as long as is necessary. Your entire family is in our thoughts and prayers.

Logan

kimlovescats
05-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies
We had a very happy dance day.. They let Eddie come up from the coma some today..a "medication vacation" and he opened his eyes some. I did not see the BIG BROWNS I have been wanting to see but I saw brown! He is in surgery right now.

His wife regina asked that I request committments for LONG TERM prayers. She is so afraid that in a month or two, people will forget and he will need those prayers just as bad then as he does now so for all of you who wishes you could do more... that is what you can do. Keep him on all those lists for one to two years and on your own list.

You tell Regina we've got the prayers covered! Great news that you saw Eddies' peepers!!!;) Hang in there, sweetheart!

(((HUGS)))
Kim

trayi52
05-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Laura, sorry I missed this. You have my longterm prayers also. I will keep praying that Eddie will regain his health soon.

I hope you are taking care of yourself also. I know you are going through a lot too. Please know that I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Willie

Barbara
05-12-2005, 06:31 AM
Laura, so sorry I missed this up to now. Some time ago I read a long article about surgery they do in cases like that and I was amazed at what they can do now!

You and your family will have to be strong for a long time. Sending my best thoughts to Eddie and all of you.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Laura, I'm so glad to hear things are going as well as can be expected with no major setbacks. more {{{hugs}}} to you and Regina and continued thoughts and prayers on their way!