PDA

View Full Version : What kind of phobia do you have?

Kirsten
05-06-2005, 04:43 PM
1. cancer:
Since almost everyone of my family has already died from cancer (or at least got ill), this is something I really really fear. Having a medical background (I worked for an oncologist) doesn't make it any easier for me. I know too much about it.

2. food poisoning:
Food hygiene is also something I know a lot about. This makes it difficult for me to trust the food I'm getting in a restaurant, or from other people. Also, I avoid eating raw or half-boiled eggs.

3. vomiting:
IMO, the most disgusting thing in the world. Even when I see it on tv, I switch the channel or at least look away and cover my ears. I cannot stand the sight, the sound or the smell. When I witness it, I start trembling, and I'm getting tachycard and nauseaous. I don't know why, it has always been like that, even when I was still a little child. I once jumped out of a driving car when my baby sister started vomiting inside. I just HAD to get out of there. And I felt terribly sick after that.

Now tell me, what's your phobia? :)

Kirsten

caseysmom
05-06-2005, 05:04 PM
I have lost a lot of friends to cancer so I am pretty afraid of that. I am also afraid of heart related stuff. Not too worried about food poisening although my daughter almost died of an episode when she was 9. They couldn't even get an IV in her she was so dehydrated.

I also have a fear of heights.

Kirsten
05-06-2005, 05:07 PM
I'm sorry that you've lost so many friends. That's sad - and scary! :(

I witnessed my aunt dying from stomach cancer last year, and the pictures still haunt me some nights.

I'm a bit afraid of heights also, but I can fight that if necessary. Just gives me a weird feeling in the stomach. LOL

Sounds awful what happened to your daughter!

Kirsten

jenluckenbach
05-06-2005, 05:09 PM
INSECTS! I am totally pertrified by anything that has more than 4 legs :eek:

PJ's Mom
05-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Death and heights. :eek: I can overcome any other fears but not those. :o

kimlovescats
05-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Kirsten, I was almost not going to share my phobia ... but I was shocked when I read yours!!! My one true phobia, is also fear of vomiting. It is called emetophobia. Yep, it's "real" and it is something I still struggle with almost daily. Wow, this is a really soul-bearing thread. :(

Oh, I do also have a very big fear of heights .... I always have hated escalators .... feel like I'm going to fall backwards down them!:eek:

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
05-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Kirsten
3. vomiting:
IMO, the most disgusting thing in the world. Even when I see it on tv, I switch the channel or at least look away and cover my ears. I cannot stand the sight, the sound or the smell. When I witness it, I start trembling, and I'm getting tachycard and nauseaous.

I also share this same fear. Even when someone tells me that they don't feel well I start getting naseous. I don't like the sound, smell, or sight either. Although watching it on TV isn't as bad as if the person next to me is doing it, I still plug my ears and close my eyes. If someone does throw up near me, I start to nearly hyperventilate, and to avoid smelling it, I breathe through my mouth, which doesn't make the situation any better. That's where my one flaw is going to be when I'm a parent;; vomitting! I'll need a strong stomached hubby to take care of the dirty business.

I also have a fear of heights, as some people have already said. At our school, if you are on the third and top floor, you can see straight down to the bottom and it makes me panic every time I look down. Heights are VERY bad for me!

I'm also afraid of spiders, not all spiders, just some. If they move quickly, I'm scared! Daddy-longlegs aren't a problem, but faster and bigger ones are!

As far as death goes, I'm afraid of being sufficated or not being able to breath. I'm also afraid of being chased or burned.

I'm afraid of a lot of things... :(

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
05-06-2005, 06:24 PM
I forgot to add one more thing about my emetophobia-- most of the time, like I said, I get naseous when someone SAYS they don't feel well... I often times KNOW they are going to be sick so that's why I start panicking. Everytime someone has said to me they don't feel well it always ends in vomitting. My panicky-ness has always ended in someone being sick! :(

animal_rescue
05-06-2005, 06:26 PM
I have a fear of blankets over my head and of tornadoes!
edit: I do have another phobia, it's being around a lot of people, I get nervous and scared, it's really hard to deal with during fair when I show my horse, but I go thruogh with it because I love my horse.

Buddy Blaze Lover
05-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Ticks (ych...I get itchy just thinking of it!), tornadoes, and.......I can't really think of anything else at the moment.:)

Jadapit
05-06-2005, 06:31 PM
I have a fear of chickens. I was attacked by a rooster once. Omg, it scared me so bad and it also hurt. It flew up into my face. To this day I have a hard time facing a chicken.:p

lizbud
05-06-2005, 06:58 PM
I have a fear of heights. Looking straight down from a building
or mountain, would not be possible for me. I get sweaty palms
& a weird tingling sensation in my feet.:eek: Strange for me,cause when I was a child I could always be found climbing the tallest tree around.

No others really, except I can't stand the sight of blood. I don't
fear it, just makes me faint.

davidpizzica
05-06-2005, 07:52 PM
One of my biggest fears is of lightning. I get really nervous even if I hear a truck backfiring! The second phobia is a very weird one. I just cannot STAND going to funeral homes. (I'm starting to get a little shaky just typing this!) I was a real basket case when my parents died and I had to stay there. I would avoid my own funeral if I can!

gemini9961
05-06-2005, 08:08 PM
I can't really say that I have a phobia. I dislike some things such as spiders, but I'll kill them in my house. I might scream when they run, but I'm not scared to death from them. My fiance though, hehe, I have to kill the spiders if I am there, he hates them. :D I don't fear death or dead people, I've seen my fair share of dead people and they don't scare me, neither do funeral homes. My job requires me to deal with death all day so I have gotten over it.

kuhio98
05-06-2005, 08:22 PM
I don't have any phobias either. I would prefer not to have any rodents around me, but it doesn't terrify me. I'm not scared of heights but I did have a problem at Niagra Falls. I had an overwhelming urge to jump over the falls! I had to ask my husband to pull me back from the edge. :eek: Weird!

LKPike
05-06-2005, 08:28 PM
being in a shower while alone in the house. when people knock on my door unexpectdly, no I don't ever answer it. AIDs. Intestinal Worms. hmmm... thats about it? the first two are supposedly from my "...past lives...". :)

I don't fear death at all, I'm actually looking forward to crossing over someday. I do fear leaving in pain, though.

Suki Wingy
05-06-2005, 10:07 PM
I guess I can be a little mean when it comes to other people's fears, because I don't see where the fear of hights comes from, I REALLY hate it when people are afraid of insects, arachnids, snakes, etc. because it is like, "You love cats or dogs to death but not any other animal? How can you feel so compationatly towards people and other animals but not have a care in the world- exept unrational fear- for all of the other animals."
Fear of vomiting? I happen to get a really bad 24 hour flu and I sometimes even can't drink water without throwing up, so I end up doing it like three times a day. :( This happens every one or two months it seems, I was out for 24 hours of my spring break and missed the Field Museum!
anyway, my fears are BIG things on small wires dangling over my head (although not a phobia) and that I will throw away, break, sqush, or loose something that is of importance to me or that I could have needed in the future (this one is a little phobia-like)

Desert Arabian
05-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Spiders and centipedes. I am mortified of them, I hate them so much. If there is a spider in a room of the house, I start to scream and won't go back in that room until it is killed. If they are larger spiders, like the huge wolf spiders that live at the cottage and at camp- they make me cry, scream, and shake- they are DISGUSTING. Centipedes are even worse! One time one ran out from under the sink in the basement, my dad was outside doing yardwork and could hear me screaming.

ICK, ICK, ICK...I shiver just thinking about them. :( :( :(

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
05-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Suki Wingy
I guess I can be a little mean when it comes to other people's fears, because I don't see where the fear of hights comes from, I REALLY hate it when people are afraid of insects, arachnids, snakes, etc. because it is like, "You love cats or dogs to death but not any other animal? How can you feel so compationatly towards people and other animals but not have a care in the world- exept unrational fear- for all of the other animals."

I have to disagree with you here. I have a fear of insects because I have been bitten by them before and they HAVE caused me pain. I don't know a lot of people that DO like bugs, but I know a lot of people here do. If a dog were to ever harm me, I'm sure I might be afraid of dogs also. Fears are associated with bad memories, and you can't hate that about people. It's something I didn't CHOSE to hate. Bad experiences made me dislike some insects.

Suki Wingy
05-06-2005, 10:59 PM
I guess I have been lucky in not having anything really bad happened to me.

The fear of loosing something is from me being traumatized over and over again with the dogs:( :(

carole
05-06-2005, 11:47 PM
My Phobia is a little different to you all, and probably more difficult, because I have to deal with it more on a daily basis,I have social Phobia, this has affected my life dramatically because it is so mis-understood and not really accepted, I strongly believe it is genetically inherited as my mother is the same.

I am not proud of it, but have hidden it as much as I could for so long, it now feels a huge relief to beable to say it, and I am sick of trying to make excuses., and feel bad about myself, when it is something I have no control over.

It has caused me terrible emotional pain all my life, but I am now in a better place, with being open about it all, and not caring about what anyone else thinks anymore, and putting myself first for a change and no longer putting myself through such torment.

slick
05-07-2005, 12:08 AM
The only thing I can truly say is my fear is waking up in the middle of night and my apt. is on fire. I can't say that fire is a fear because when I'm camping I can light fire and feel perfectly comfortable. I think it more that trapped feeling that maybe I cannot escape a burning building.

When the fire alarm goes off in my apt building my heart pounds as I round up Max and Specks and carry them downstairs in the carrier.

That's about it.

bckrazy
05-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Suki Wingy
that I will throw away, break, sqush, or loose something that is of importance to me or that I could have needed in the future (this one is a little phobia-like)

I think thats packratphobia. . :D LOL. . I think my sister and Dad have that!! I love to clean stuff out, my closet, my bag. Clutter is not my friend :p

Im really afraid of the dark, its very cliche but I am! I'm also afraid of big TVs on small stands, it makes me hyperventilate. . a huge TV fell on me when I was 4. Im also afraid of conforming ^.^

Fox-Gal
05-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Mine is fear of not having enough air around me. Like when I'm in a elevator, if it's full of people, it drives me nuts, it's like they are taking what little air that's in there away from me and I need that air, to live. Now if there's just a few people, I'm OK, with that. Same way with blankets over my face, not enough air under there for me.

My other odd one is bridges. I can't go walking under a bridge alone, I will freak. I won't go into why, but there is a huge trauma behind that one.

And snakes..........friends say my whole voice, face everything changes if I get to close to a snake. One friend says I'm like the girl on the Exorcist movie. :rolleyes:

NoahsMommy
05-07-2005, 02:20 AM
I'm very, very, very fearful of spiders. I know its unfounded, what they'd do to me could be fixed, but they just scare the daylights out of me. Once there was one in my car and I panicked. I stopped breathing, started crying and just rolled to a stop on the freeway...I know it was really stupid of me, but I had no control whatsoever. :eek:

I also have dreams where there's somewhere I need to get, but the only way through is through tiny caves, with really, really low walls. While I know I could fit through, I wont do it. I guess that's a fear of tight spaces??

I also have a fear of not being in control.

cloverfdx
05-07-2005, 08:00 AM
Heights and falling are my biggest phobia's :(.

BitsyNaceyDog
05-07-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by carole
My Phobia is a little different to you all, and probably more difficult, because I have to deal with it more on a daily basis,I have social Phobia, this has affected my life dramatically because it is so mis-understood and not really accepted, I strongly believe it is genetically inherited as my mother is the same.

I have the same phobia. I've been on medication for social anxiety for several years (6 or 7, I think) It helps take the edge off but that's about all. I don't have many friends. I prefer to stay at home with my pets, they are my friends. If someone comes to the door I don't answer, in fact I usually end up locking myself in the bathroom or a closet until I know they are gone. My friends know to call me before they come to the door so I know it's them. I always keep the blinds closed if I am home alone.
I don't go anywhere alone except for work. I usually am fine at work because the people I work with are like family and I am very comfortable with them. My boss calls it my "safe place". But I still sometimes have problems there. I usually try to hide it there though, I put on a smile and try to keep going strong.

Originally posted by slick
The only thing I can truly say is my fear is waking up in the middle of night and my apt. is on fire. I can't say that fire is a fear because when I'm camping I can light fire and feel perfectly comfortable. I think it more that trapped feeling that maybe I cannot escape a burning building.

That's my other big fear. I too am fine around a camp fire, but I've had a fear of my home or car burning for as long as I can remember. I lived in upstate New York when I was little and we had a wood burning stove. Every year before my dad started using the stove he would run through a fire drill with us. We'd have to feel our door and see if it was hot, etc. we'd have to open our window, push out the screen, climb out the window, and run to the tree far away from the house. I would have nightmares about actually having to do that as a result of a real fire. I also had nightmares of the car blowing up into flames, as that's how my uncle died at age 21. I don't have the nightmares any more, but it's still a major fear of mine.

My third major fear is a newer one. Ever since the hurricanes last summer I have been terribly afraid of thunder storms. As soon as the sky gets dark I start to go into a panic.

flamepony12
05-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Dieing early- I have always been afraid of one day dieing in a car crash or an accident and never seeing my friends, family or pets again. :(

Stalkers/Murderers etc.- I'm always double-checking at night before I go to sleep. When I was younger, I saw a movie that has made me very consious about this stuff ever since. I'm always a little bit afraid that there's someone just waiting for me to fall asleep. I also always check in the shower when I go to the bathroom. :rolleyes:

Snakes- just a little bit. First, I must say that I love tame snakes, they're very pretty and I'm sure they mean a lot to their owners. I even like to hold some! it's just that a rattlesnake almost bit me and my horse when I was little, and I've been scared of seeing wild snakes, on foot or on horseback, ever again.

I'm also afraid that I might wake up one day and my house will be on fire. I've always been afraid that one or some of my pets might not make it out. :(

*LabLoverKEB*
05-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Eathier death, or hemophobia. (afraid of blood.)

flamepony12
05-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by *LabLoverKEB*
hemophobia. (afraid of blood.)

oh yes, forgot that one.

QueenScoopalot
05-07-2005, 12:17 PM
I have a phobia about being in a lake, or other deep body of water, and not being able to touch bottom. I know this one was brought on by my older brother (who I rarely if ever speak to) who used to hold my head under the water when we were kids. I'd be struggling to get air, but he seemed to have this perverse enjoyment out of seeing how long he could try to drown me.:mad: Nice guy huh? :rolleyes: :mad:

Randi
05-07-2005, 12:50 PM
I don't mind spiders, but cockroaches I really don't like - or anything crunchy like them. Many years ago, I rented a room in a villa with lots of them (the owner got sacks of bread from the baker for the chickens etc.) We all tried everything and finally we got some blue stuff to smear on doorsteps and around edges - that killed them!! However, behind the the fridge were all those eggs. Ewww!!

Vomit I just can't stand!! I'm like you Kirsten, I dissapear! Also, if it's about to happen on TV, I turn my head and cover my ears. If Fister does his little pile of it, I can handle it, but I'd rather be without! I've often wondered why Bar keepers don't have a sack of cat litter in the Bar, if it should happen. I was working on a ship once, and the boss showed us how to clean up the vomit if someone got sick - luckily, I didn't experience that.

Blood I can cope with, if it's not huge amounts.

Heights I'm OK with, but I was better as a child. I also climbed the tallest trees. :D

I was trapped in an elevator once - with a 90 year old lady (ON HER BIRTHDAY!) We were 5 of us, the only one who panicked, was the only man there.

Oh btw, I suppose I have a fear of being stuck in "quicksand". That must be the worst way to go!

Killearn Kitties
05-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Quite a few things I don't like the sound of have been posted on this thread (such as waking up to a burning house, being stuck in quicksand etc), but my only real phobia is of needles. I can't even watch someone getting an injection. I'm not fond of blood or anything vaguely medical! I certainly couldn't hang around if someone was being sick. I've always put this down to the fact that I have never actually been sick (stomach of cast iron!)

There was a woman on the radio this morning talking about the birth or her son, which was by caesarian section. She came round just after the operation started. She was totally immobile and aware that she was not breathing, and thought she was dying. After a while she realised she was getting air somehow, but she was aware almost for the whole operation. She was aware of what the medical team were saying to each other. When it came to sewing her back up, she could hear them say they didn't have enough staples and thought that they weren't going to be able to put her back together! They were almost at the end of the operation before the anaesthetist noticed that the tube which was supposed to be administering anaesthetic had become disconnected and sorted it.

What a horrific experience!

Kirsten
05-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Many things mentioned here scare me also, like death, fire in the house and heights.

But I'm really surprised that I'm not alone with my fear of vomiting!!! I always thought it was just me... :o
And I didn't know there's even a name for it.

Kind of makes me feel better to know there are other people like me! :)

Kirsten

kimlovescats
05-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Kirsten
Many things mentioned here scare me also, like death, fire in the house and heights.

But I'm really surprised that I'm not alone with my fear of vomiting!!! I always thought it was just me... :o
And I didn't know there's even a name for it.

Kind of makes me feel better to know there are other people like me! :)

Kirsten

Yes, I know what you mean ... makes me feel a bit less "freakish" too!:rolleyes: You know what is really sad though, Kirsten? I do fear Cancer like most of us do nowdays ... but the part I fear more than possibly dying from it ... is throwing up from the treatments!:eek: :rolleyes: I have even stated that I would elect not to have treatments and just let myself die rather than having to throw up from them. Now that's bad, huh?:(

Kirsten
05-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Yes, I know what you mean ... makes me feel a bit less "freakish" too!:rolleyes: You know what is really sad though, Kirsten? I do fear Cancer like most of us do nowdays ... but the part I fear more than possibly dying from it ... is throwing up from the treatments!:eek: :rolleyes: I have even stated that I would elect not to have treatments and just let myself die rather than having to throw up from them. Now that's bad, huh?:(

Yep, but I can relate to that very well. Had the same thoughts already, to be honest... :(

Kirsten

carole
05-07-2005, 11:45 PM
I too can relate to the cancer fear, since my mother has Breast Cancer a few years ago, I feel paranoid about it too, of course there is a real reason for me to have this fear, but still it is horrible to have.

I am also a little claustrophobic., have alway's had a fear of heights and the dark.

anna_66
05-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Quite a few things scare me like...the dark, but only if I'm alone, spiders, ewww can't stand them!
But a phobia, no.

The only thing that has truly ever made me sick and feel like running away (maybe a phobia) would be watching someone else in tremendous pain. A couple years ago after my parents had a motorcycle accident I was at the dr with my mom & dad. Dad had to have his staples out. Just the thought of that made me literally want to throw up...good thing I didn't have to be in there with him.
Then I went with mom and they had to remove the dressing from her arm, omg! she didn't scream but let out this little sigh and all of a sudden I had to sit down. I thought I was honestly going to pass out just seeing how much pain she was in.
It truly hurts me to see others in pain:(

GraciesMommy
05-13-2005, 07:45 AM
Drowning...I almost drowned when I was 5 and again at 15 and remember both very very clearly..so I hate when I can not see or touch bottom.
Family members dying..I am 500 miles away from all of my family..and my son was in an accident and in a coma almost 5 years ago and we didn't know if he was going to make it..I had to get to him as fast as I could with the "not knowing" (he is ok today, thank God)

Heights..general fear..and it does paralyze you when you get in certain situations..I can go up..just can't come down. I freaked out 2 years ago on a ferris wheel with my 4 year old granddaughter..and SHE was calming me down..but the WHOLE family heard about it forever..she is almost 6 now and still talks about it

Getting hit by a car..I don't know where this comes from but i think of it at least once a day...irrational fear, I think..

Samantha Puppy
05-13-2005, 07:50 AM
My biggest phobia is of needles. When I am faced with getting one, my heart races, I break into a cold sweat and get chills, I start crying, get nauseous and then pass out. It is more than just a slight aversion, it is a full-on phobia. It oughta make the next 7 months interesting now that I'm pregnant and can't avoid them. *sigh*

My next biggest phobia is death. I do not like the unknown. I do not want to think about what happens to my body when I'm gone. Just about everything about death disgusts me.

I also do not like spiders. I can't look at them in person or on TV. I also hate anything like silverfish or millipedes. And ticks. I hate Hate HATE ticks.

My least "big" phobia is fear of heights because I'm really only phobic about it when I do not feel secure. If I feel secure, I'm okay. But if I had to cross a rickety rope bridge that was 200 ft. up, my knees would be jello and I couldn't do it.

LKPike
05-13-2005, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by anna_66
The only thing that has truly ever made me sick and feel like running away (maybe a phobia) would be watching someone else in tremendous pain.
It truly hurts me to see others in pain:(

thats not a phobia :):) thats called a: Big Heart :):):)

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-13-2005, 07:56 AM
Spiders :eek: !! I also hate bees.....!
I am very scared in small rooms and even more if the ceiling is low...! This morning I had an NMR-test , and I had to dissapear completely into that narrow tube :eek: . It was VERY difficult to stay in there for 15 minutes...

primabella
05-13-2005, 08:27 AM
My biggest fear is probably dieing alone..

I'm also terrified of heights and the dark. My teacher also said that you dream about your deepest fears, and most of my worst nightmares have involved people breaking into the house, so I guess I'm also terrified of robbers. My list goes on.. I can be such a baby. :o

anna_66
05-13-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by primabella
My teacher also said that you dream about your deepest fears
Well if that's the case then I'm going to be killed:eek: I always dream about being killed in my dreams:o

Originally posted by LKPike
thats not a phobia:):) thats called a: Big Heart :) :) :)
Oh how sweet of you:D

CatMama78
05-13-2005, 10:51 AM
Flying (I'll do it, but I have panic attacks during if there is ANY turbulence)

and Social phobias

I see others with Social Phobia. I've not been treated for it, but I know I have it. I get EXTREMELY stressed out when I have to interact with others socially. I start to panick, want to back out, just dread it. This even happens with family members. Once I'm there, I'm usually ok (after a couple of drinks), but it's the anticipation that kills me.

I'm also afraid of death and the act of dying. Mainly being shot or a car accident. I have dreams about it often. Unlike a lot of you, I'm not so sure what's there after we go. What if we just disappear?

King Spartacus
05-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Mamma is scared of a lot of things... but only has two major phobias...

1: Spiders. She'll start crying... If alone in the house, go into hysterics, cry her head off, but always stare at the spider... once she sat in a chair crying for 5 hours, waiting for daddy to come home and get rid of the spider (she couldn't move, as if she did, she "knew" the spider would hide, and then "attack" her at a later time)... she'll also get dizzy and start heaving for her breath...

2: The dentist. A MUCH worse phobia than the spider one.... no no, don't get me wrong, the "fear" factor is the same... but teeth will go bad if you don't go to the dentist!!! Mamma went last year... after 8 years without dental treatment! She tried out 5 dentists... ran out of the office of 4 of them (once she had to meekishly go back to pay... as she wasn't even able to do that before she stormed out!). She'll get physically ill (not good for the ones who has a phobia of vomit!), even get dizzy, just with the thought of the dentist. Mamma spent £1400 on dental treatment, she cried every single time she went to the dentist... but as she says: It was worth all the blood, sweat and tears! She's now got perfect teeth again! (After 1 rootcanal filling, 2 pullings of wisdom teeth, 3 fillings, 1 pulling and one bridge... a fake tooth were they pulled the other one)... God bless mammas dentist... he sure went through hell with her!!!

She also has several smaller phobias, but she's capable of dealing with them... queeziness, sweat palms, slight faintness, etc when it comes to having her head under water, heights, umbrellas (yes... mamma NEVER uses an umbrella), small rooms, too many people, fear of loosing her shoes while walking (ok... so mamma is strange!), etc...

Inna
05-13-2005, 12:12 PM
I think I don´t have very bad fobias... Except frogs!:o I dunno why I don´t like ´em, but I think it has to be their slime... It´s just, a bit discusting... I can´t hold them because I don´t like that they try to jump away:p I know they can´t do anything to me but... Maybe I´ll get used to them one day, like I did with spiders... But in spiders I don´t like that they move so quickly!:D Oh and dentist! Have bad memories....

cocker_luva
05-13-2005, 03:49 PM
im afraid of being lost, the dark, things i cant see, being alone, etc.

so basically if i was kidnapped in the middle of the night, blindfolded, and put in a isolation chamber, id probably die of panic.

(doesnt help that i have anxiety/panic disorder/obsessive compulsive disorder, all linked, either!)

sandragonfly
05-13-2005, 04:22 PM
...not sure. I love, love challenging the challenges. except a minute I knew I'm going to die?

Toby's my baby
05-13-2005, 07:20 PM
I am begining to feel more and more Claustrophobic.

I think i should be afraid of cancer, since a lot of my family has it, or has died from it. But I know this could be controvercial, but I think that God made you the way you were supposed to be, and if you were meant to have cancer... then I guess you were meant to have cancer... I am terribly sorry if this has affended people, its just the way I see it.

slleipnir
05-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Death (in general, not just myself) and spiders

PJ's Mom
05-13-2005, 11:55 PM
I have a question to those of you who are afraid of death.

Last week, my mom's brother died. I didn't know him very well so I didn't feel much of a sense of loss. But when she started talking to me about the viewing and how he was creamated, I started freaking out and had to ask her to stop. It was hard for me to breathe and I didn't want to hear anymore about it. Of course that wasn't good because she had just lost her brother and wanted to talk about it, but I couldn't do it.

Does anyone else react that way to the subject of death or dying or did I just give away way too much info? :o

slleipnir
05-14-2005, 12:01 AM
I do too. My mom was telling me about her friends mother dying. I never knew the lady at all. She told me how her friend was upset etc, and I started to cry myself. I have no idea why...I really don't like the subject of death..at all. I cry more than I probably should for people who die (that I don't even know...)

Sus
05-15-2005, 12:52 PM
then again! Maybe I'm phobic about ticks. I go completely into hysterics when I see one. I get this strange iron taste in my mouth and a strong urge to flee! I actually did that once - on a scientific excursion with a group of other students - and I just couldn't care less what everybody thought about me when i barged out and away from the forrest patch we were examining! The number of ticks being infected with Borrelia is on the rise in Denmark, so there is amble reason for me to avoid them! Borrelia can be very damaging to ones health.

Another thing that makes me panic is if I see an animal which is seriously hurt. My face goes numb and cold and I've been known to faint a couple of times.

Other than that, there are a lot of things that makes me uncomfortable: Flying, backing downhill in a car, steep bridges, narrow spaces, crowds, big spiders and large birds!

And I'm always concerned about my weight - I watch it like a hawk! - and the risk of developing arteriosclerosis, which is a family trait. I hate myself, if I don't get enough exercise on a daily basis, and I always try to eat food which is low in fat. But I don't think that qualifies as a phobia - I would call it an obsession!

Great thread!

Love,
Sus and the Bellacat

Jods
05-15-2005, 05:49 PM
# 1 death/hospitals: I hate everything about it!

I had to go to a hospital with my grandma the other day and I felt terrible cuz she wanted me to go in with her while they did tests to see how her heart was and I refused to go in. I feel so rotten, but I just didn't want to hear how bad it was (she had quadruple bypass years ago) I'd rather not know then know. wierd huh??
I have to go back tomorrow cuz she's having a procedure done and I don't wanna....
:(

#2 This one's kinda hard to explain not getting needles, but before the needle and after the needle. I'm not scared of the needle itself cuz I know it doesn't hurt, but I always feel ill thinking they are putting something that doesn't belong in my body in my body! I hate it. I even pass out almost just from the thought. Same goes for medications.

Ciar29
05-16-2005, 02:37 AM
My phobia's are bugs like spiders, scorpians cause Ive been stung by a scorpian before . But I mainly don't like any kind of bugs I have panic attacks if a bug lands on me. I also have the fear of falling it may sound strange but thats me I am strange lol.

Ciar29

cmayer31
05-16-2005, 11:54 PM
I have a phobia of certain social situations. More of an uncontrollable premeditated worrywart.

luvofallhorses
05-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by carole

I am not proud of it, but have hidden it as much as I could for so long, it now feels a huge relief to beable to say it, and I am sick of trying to make excuses., and feel bad about myself, when it is something I have no control over.

It has caused me terrible emotional pain all my life, but I am now in a better place, with being open about it all, and not caring about what anyone else thinks anymore, and putting myself first for a change and no longer putting myself through such torment.

Carole, you are NOT alone. ((((hugs))))) I have social phobia, too it stinks doesn't it? :( It's hard to make friends in this town, that's why I might be moving out of it ;)

My other phobias. I have arachnophobia, I am SO scared to death of spiders. (No offense to you that own trantualas) and creepy crawlers. I don't know I just get nautious when I see them.

I am not scared of heights, but I am very understandable when people are. For 4-H camp oh about 4 years ago, our group went to Silverwood Theme Park in Couer d' Lane, Idaho and this rollercoaster Tremors that my friends and I went on it got stuck at the top :eek: My friend Brianna next to me she was freaking out and I was just calm. I said that they could take her down first and I was fine. Guess what?!?! I went back on and on again. Brave huh ;)

That's all I can think of.

Anita Cholaine
05-18-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm really afraid of elevators! I allways try to avoid them, but when I have to get in them, I get nervous untill I go out. The worst is that I always have nightmares about elevators wich fall down and I'm in there!

Bigyummydog
05-18-2005, 05:57 PM
i don't think i have any phobias...and not much of anything scares me....maybe i'm heartless..........i do worry about my dog at times .....oh! maybe this is one...it freaks me out when the phone rings in the middle of the night....could be one of my sisters or my brother, with bad news...why else call so late.......?