PDA

View Full Version : This is on Oprah today---hoarding cats

janelle
05-06-2005, 02:02 PM
http://www.oprah.com/tows/slide/200505/20050506/slide_20050506_201.jhtml

NKBurlington
05-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Oh my! Eighty one cats! That's a bit over board, I'd say.

catmandu
05-06-2005, 02:53 PM
I lie,when People ask,me ,how many Cats,I have,as I think,that if I told people,that I have 15,they would brand me,as a Hoarder,and call the authorities.my sister,in law satrted sending me emails,of hoarders,as she thinks,that I have too many.She needs a Life.This,is the limit,for me,and it makes me sad,as there are Cats,I could help.But all,it would take,is a nosy Parker,to make one call,and there would be Chaos,here!
I only show,the Photos now,to people,that I trust,absolutely.I dislike,when some people,turn,things against me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/e6b64a93.jpg

catmandu
05-06-2005, 02:55 PM
And I cannot stand Oprah,at all,as she trys to hard,to sensationalize everything,on her show.And that pompouus Dr Phil,can,as my Mother used,to say,take a long walk,off a short pier.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/e6b64a93.jpg

Catsnclay
05-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Oh my! I don't know what to think, 81 cats IS quite a lot of kitties running around, but it also looks like they are well cared for. She seems to have the money for them, they are not starving or abused. I agree that she should stop, but I also know people with large amounts of cats (:rolleyes: :rolleyes: nobody here.......:p ) that all live peacefully and the houses are just fine. It is hard to give up any of them just because someone thinks you have too many. I sure hope the authorities in her area do NOT come after her because of this.

As for her boyfriend, if he doesn't like it, well, just show him the door!! :eek: :mad:

catcrazylady
05-06-2005, 07:07 PM
That is a LOT of cats! I agree that the ones you can see look healthy and well cared for. If she knows she is at her limit then she must stop. My only concern about shows like this is that it makes people who have a lot of animals look like nut cases. In many peoples eyes the fact that I have twelve is over the top for them and shows like this only make things worse. I don't care what people think but like Gary said you hate the thought of someone making a phone call and then you get investigated. I know that no one would find anything wrong in my house but who would want to go through that?

QueenScoopalot
05-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Doing rescuing during 'kitten season' can really rack up the numbers very rapidly! But there's a big difference between keeping them all, and neglecting them, or letting them go on to new homes. I've been over that # several times when I've had multiple rescued queens and their offspring. :rolleyes: It can get overwhelming very fast! Good case in point is the rescue who spent a weekend at my place, and then went to foster daddy Larry's home, and a few days later popped out NINE kittens! :eek: Thankfully Larry's come through numerous times and taken many ready to pop girlies from me. The alternative would have been the streets. :( I didn't see the Oprah show, but heard Oprah's going to help find homes for this woman's cats. Probably financing as well....will she come help me out?:confused:

Freckles
05-06-2005, 08:36 PM
I just saw the program. Here (http://www.oregonhumane.org/news/OprahShowandOHS.htm) is a link to the Oregon Humane Society story. I didn't hear it mentioned on the Oprah but the owner DID have all the cats spayed or neutered.:)
Looks like only 12 left from the original 43 taken in Feb.:)

PS: For those who watched the show, my address on the lower left (which I've used for years) shows the correct way to pronounce my state!:)

CalliesMom
05-06-2005, 08:53 PM
I feel that if you can afford to properly care for your animals and keep them in a clean, healthy environment than it doesn't really matter how many animals you have--however, for the cats, I wonder if having that many is good for them. I have three and sometimes that seems like A LOT especially when we have territorial issues. :rolleyes:

My limit in the future will probably be two. I love my kitties more than anything in this world and maybe it is just the personalities of my cats but before I got Callie (#3) Shadow and Whisper got along great. Now they are constantly fighting if left unattended and for their sanities, I have to keep them separate. I feel bad for Shadow having to be stuck in the bedroom all day and night and she is only really out when we're home. I wonder if she would be happier living as a single kitty somewhere but I love her and don't want to give her up. :(

moosmom
05-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Lisa is right. There IS a difference between having alot of cats and caring for them, and having alot of cats and neglecting them. I've also gone over my limit (I've always said I'd never go into the double digits). When Mattie Grace had her babies, it put me in the double digits. But I knew it was only temporary.

I watched the program as well. Hey, sometimes my house "smells" from having just 5 cats, no matter how many times I try to keep up with the litterboxes. I can only imagine what her house smelled like with 30 litterboxes!! But all the cats are fixed and well cared for.

It's people that take in alot of strays/ferals and don't give them the love, care and human contact they need that make the ones who DO look bad.

I was watching TV the other night and a remark was made on some sitcom, "Okay, so I'll get fat and have alot of cats!" I was SO upset by that remark!!

TopCat3
05-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Look under your chair everyone, you each have a kitty to take home with you today. There you are, problem solved. Don't forget to tune in tomorrow folks...:D :D :D

Sorry...couldn't resist it:rolleyes: :(

orangemm
05-07-2005, 03:00 PM
My husband and I always said that if we ever won the lottery we would buy some land and take in homeless cats (a sort of cat farm). I'm sure we'd be inundated with animals, but as long as we had the means to care for them, whose darn business would it be?

What better way to spend your time????

orangemm
05-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Just went and read the link. Do NOT think much of the alleged Dr. Sheldon Rubin for saying that the animals would be better off homeless than in that environment. Isn't he the compassionate soul?

sarifish
05-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by TopCat3
Look under your chair everyone, you each have a kitty to take home with you today. There you are, problem solved. Don't forget to tune in tomorrow folks...:D :D :D

Sorry...couldn't resist it:rolleyes: :(

hehe that was really funny:p she should have had an all animal lover audience and have done that:p :D hehehehe

Fox-Gal
05-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by catmandu
I lie,when People ask,me ,how many Cats,I have,as I think,that if I told people,that I have 15,they would brand me,as a Hoarder,and call the authorities.

My husband wants me to be the same way. He is always getting on to me when people ask how many pets we have. He doesn't want me to be honest, for fear they will think we are hoarders.

But if they all get their needs taking care of and we can afford it, I say let them call me in. Come on over and see all the healthy, happy well loved pets and then tell me I'm a hoarder. I might be, but I'm the best kind of hoarder, no one goes without around here, just ask my vet, and in the end that's what matters. Right?

janelle
05-09-2005, 11:41 AM
The vet said three cats for small homes. Cats like their own territory and need space. People with large homes could have more, not sure of the number.

He said they hide when crowded in and it harms their personality. They will always be a timid, hiding cat.

Not sure how she kept the fighting from happening. She was gone to work all day. I have two and have to tell the alpha cat to cool it at times.

Even the man with the cat's house had one cat lose an eye when she disturbed a sleeping cat so it happens. They are territorial.

Is it better for a cat to live their entire lives hiding under a bed or outside roaming freely?

slick
05-09-2005, 12:15 PM
I'm on holidays this week and just finished watching this. I was disturbed by something that Oprah's vet said.....

If given the choice to bring in a cat into a hoarding situation, or leaving it homeless on the street, the latter is far better.

What do you experts think of this statement??