PDA

View Full Version : Fister can't pee!

Randi
01-25-2002, 12:31 PM
We were about to nominate our cat Fister (5 years orange tabby) but we will nominate him when he gets well, so he can enjoy his day! It seems that he has problems again. It was only last monday a week he went to the vet, because he could not pee. He had stones, got a chateter put up and got flushed through. He then started a Precription Diet S/D (no Magnesium, Phosfor or Calcium allowed) had Pennicillin for 5 days, and we thought everything was OK. The diet is supposed to dissolve the stones. But today he seem to have the same problem. We spoke to the vet just before he closed for the weekend, he said if he does not pee before tomorrow midday, we will have to take him to the vet hospital :( - and we will of course, if he dosen't get better. This morning, he was very playful and he has been eating his dry food this afternoon and drinking his water :) But we are worried!! The vet suggested we could give him 1/2 painkiller (Romefen) which he gave us for him last week and we did. So I guess, we'll have to watch him very carefully and see. He is impossible to get in a carrier without sedating him and he is getting very suspicious now whenever we try to give him a pill.
Well, I thought I'd tell you all, because I know you care.

This evening we had fish and it was heartbreaking not to be able to give him some - raw fish is his favourite.

AmberLee
01-25-2002, 01:15 PM
It sounds like your little guy really has you worried. I hope he's okay. Do keep us updated. :(

Best wishes.

gini
01-25-2002, 02:33 PM
Aww Fister - please get well soon. I hope you don't have to go to the hospital over the weekend.

tatsxxx11
01-25-2002, 03:57 PM
Dear Fister Kitty. My beloved RB kitty Fritzy had the same difficulties. It took a little while to get everything 100% cleared up, with a few minor "setbacks." For a short while, he even needed to have his bladder creded (squeezed) to remove the urine. But before long, and with a little medic. and a new diet, he was back to his healthy self. I hope dear Fister you don't have to go to the hosp. again. And poor Mommy is so worried. Till we hear that you are 100%, we will be thinking of you and praying with all of our paws crossed. We want you to be your beautiful, bright self when we honor you as Cat of the Day! Love to you dear Fister....

Randi
01-26-2002, 09:54 AM
Thank you SO MUCH for your kind words concerning Fister!!

Yes, he really did have us worried again, but now he seem to have got a bit better. This morning he had a pee - not very much, but still! - and just now, this afternoon he had another :D - Iīm so relieved! We may possibly have to take him to our own vet on monday, but thatīs a lot easier for all parts.

I would have thougt that after the treatment he got 2 weeks ago, he would be fine, but as you say tatsxxx11, they can obviously have minor setbacks. So we will watch him carefully and be very strict about his diet and try to make him drink more!

You will all hopefully see him soon!

kgeorge
01-26-2002, 11:12 AM
Glad your felling better little guy! Can anything be done to prevent this, I have a male cat and I heard that males are more prone to this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Keep getting better:)

Randi
01-27-2002, 07:46 AM
We have been very strict about Fister's Precription diet the last 3 days (low magnesium, phosfor and calcium) and we have put water in front of him whereever he was sitting - luckily he was drinking some and today he is more or less back to normal it seems. Has been to the litterbox 3 times since yesterday afternoon with good results. :) :)

A couple of times I've tried to fill a syringe (get it at the chemist) with water and sprayed it in his mouth - amazingly enough he accepted it. Ok, it's only a little at a time, but worth a try if he won't drink.

Does anyone know if there are much magnesium, calcium or phosfor in liver, white fish or red meat?

lizbud
01-28-2002, 11:45 AM
Randi,
Hi. Just checking in on Fister. How is he doing?
Also, wanted to say that I used the search
engine http://google.com in hopes of learning
more about Fister's condition. I didn't know there
were so many different types of stones...
Bladder stones, kidney stones,gall stones that
can affect a cat's health. I just typed in
"kidney stones cats" and recieved lots of
related info.Have you checked this out yet?
Prayers & Good wishes for Fister. Liz & Buddy.

Randi
01-28-2002, 01:33 PM
Thanks a lot Lizbud!! Fister is really improving, I actually think his is back to his normal self now because he wants to play and go out, but I keep him on a strict diet and try to make him drink as much as possible - I'm sure that helps! I will have a look at Google anyway, you can never learn too much! :) Will nominate one of these days.

tatsxxx11
01-28-2002, 03:39 PM
Phew!! So relieved to hear that Fister is doing so well!! Sounds like you've really got him on the right track!! Hugs and kisses to the recovering patient!!:)

lizbud
02-01-2002, 08:44 PM
Randi,

Hi, Hope Fister's continuing to feel better !!!

I wanted to ask if you could post a larger picture
of Fister? Is that the little guy in your sig area ?
Fister looks so Gorgeous, with the Reddish fur and
Beautiful green eyes...If you are able to post a bigger
picture or a link to a website for him, that would be
great !!! Thanks.