PDA

View Full Version : question about vet visit

caseysmom
05-06-2005, 11:43 AM
I took casey in for some boosters yesterday. I had a new tech and she says "okay put casey up on the table", the table is higher than waist high and casey weighs 45 pound...
:eek:

I am still recovering from picking her up over easter break...does anyone else think this is wierd, I guess its easier to get to her up on the table but it just seems wierd, the tech ended up lifting her.

elizabethann
05-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Since Fenway is only 20lbs, I just pick him up myself. But you know, now that you think of it, it seems like THEY would pick your dog up, not you. But perhaps they're afraid some dog (not necessarily yours) may turn around and bite them in the face or something. I just don't know. I know my sisters dogs have to be muzzled because they HATE the vets. So perhaps it's more of a percaution?

Just a guess.

lizbud
05-06-2005, 11:51 AM
It's because the Tech is new & dosen't know what you are
capable of doing I guess. I haven't lifted either of my pups up
onto the table myself. They both weigh 60+ lbs. I'm a small person & they all know at the Vets that I can't do it myself.

caseysmom
05-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Her last appt they picked her up...I think the appt before that they examined her on the floor. This is her 4th time in there in 6 weeks so the others in the office know casey pretty well.

caseysmom
05-06-2005, 11:53 AM
I think its kind of strange that they want such big dogs up on the table...what if they jump off? at least a small dog is easier to contain if they get spooked.

It seems like they should have a low table or something for the large dogs, I guess all that leaning over is hard on the vets too.

Bigyummydog
05-06-2005, 11:57 AM
MAXIMUS is almost 90 bls. so unless he's having 'work' done, the vet usually gets on the floor to his level....but then he seems to leave a lasting impression, because they do remember him...

caseysmom
05-06-2005, 12:01 PM
Wow maximus is a big boy! I thought he was a pittie??? Aren't pitties usually a lot smaller??

lizbud
05-06-2005, 12:10 PM
My RB dog Buddy, was 106 lbs and his previous Vet never
examined him on a table. He was kept on the floor & handled
by a very good Vet Tech during his exams. :)

Bigyummydog
05-06-2005, 12:11 PM
he was sort of an accident...his mother is a pittie, and his father is a yellow lab...but i think he turned out to be a pretty good goof
:D

Ginger's Mom
05-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Hmm...this is a pretty interesting thread. Having always had medium-sized dogs I just assumed that all dogs were examined on the table. It never occurred to me that the Vet would get down on the floor with the dog. But then again I never really thought about it. A vet that I used to go to had a table that would raise and lower electronically, it was also a scale (it was pretty neat).

PJ's Mom
05-06-2005, 12:18 PM
I lift both of mine on the table. Peej weighs around 34lbs and Bailey is about 48 lbs. :) I think my vet is too old to get on the floor with them. :D Their vet in Arlington was so great with them. He knew the table made them nervous so he always examined them on the floor. :)

caseysmom
05-06-2005, 12:31 PM
The table that raises up and down is a good idea....as long as its not too noisy...casey would get spooked...

Dixieland Dancer
05-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Bigyummydog
he was sort of an accident...his mother is a pittie, and his father is a yellow lab...but i think he turned out to be a pretty good goof
:D

I think he turned out to be a very handsome boy! I love his face! :D

Dixie and Dusty are both lifted by the table that raises when we go to the vets.

Glacier
05-06-2005, 12:58 PM
I've never lifted any of my dogs on to the table for a routine vet visit. My vet gets down on the floor with them. He crawled right under the table a couple weeks ago to check Ozzy out--Ozzy was terrified and trying to hide, so Kim went to him.

The only time I've lifted a dog was Hoodoo's very last vet visit and he was unconcious at the time!

LKPike
05-06-2005, 12:59 PM
I hate when our tech asks us to put Frankie on the table. Hes tall enough for them to examine him on the floor. WHY does he need to be on the table?? :confused: