PDA

View Full Version : WIN the puppy of your dreams!

lute
05-06-2005, 11:28 AM
i get a weekly newsletter from petplace.com and this was part of the newsletter.

win a puppy (http://www.petplace.com/Articles/artShow.asp?artID=5422)

now i don't know if this is such a good idea, yet it's kinda cool. for those people that wish they had a certain breed, but couldn't quite afford it now can.

Dixieland Dancer
05-06-2005, 01:07 PM
HMMMM... I already got the puppy(s) of my dreams! :D

elizabethann
05-06-2005, 01:08 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing!!!

aly
05-06-2005, 01:34 PM
Ew, I think that is horrible. Just anyone who enters the drawing could win a puppy? Doesn't sound good to me at all.

bckrazy
05-06-2005, 01:43 PM
yeah. . I just dont like the idea that dogs are a commodity/material thing that can be "WON", like a tv or a furniture set :p

also, if people cannot afford to adopt a dog for $100, they cannot afford a dog period. My sister used to be a model for these huge auctions at country clubs, and once they made her walk around holding Labrador puppies that were being auctioned off to hunters. . . she got so sick that she had to quit. The pups just went to whoever was paying the most, no screening or adoption process or anything (basically the same procedures as a pet store). Its all gross to me.

Kfamr
05-06-2005, 01:46 PM
That's absolutely disgusting. :mad: :mad: :( :(

bckrazy
05-06-2005, 01:51 PM
. . this also reminded me of a contest that Animal Planet was holding about 5 years ago (totally OT!!). They were giving one of Lassie's puppies away to the best home they could find, and I sent in about 4 pages of how our home was and how much we would love a Collie pup (this was before we got Gonzo ;)) and we won runner-up and got a bunch of AP stuff. Looking back, it was mostly an advertising scam n_n.

Dixieland Dancer
05-06-2005, 02:49 PM
I really don't see what's so disgusting about it. Petplace.com is a reputable dog site. They are not shipping dogs from puppy mills. The information on their site is from what I can see accurate information on choosing, raising and caring for a dog.

I think there could possibly be someone out there who would cherish and adore a dog but may not be able to afford the initial cost. This gives them hope and a chance! I know my first dog was paid for by my dad because I was still in high school and couldn't afford it. He couldn't really afford it either at the time but did it because he knew what it meant to me. Perhaps I could of taken the burden off him if there was such a contest back then.

From what I see on their website, they know how to care for dogs and will screen entries so that only the sincere ones are eligible.

Again, I personally don't see whats so digusting about this. Perhaps I'm missing something about why others think it is. :confused:

IRescue452
05-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Its not bad. The person has to go through the adoption application of the breeder and/or shelter. They are still being evaluated to see if they are a good home. Perhaps there is somebody like me who would love a pure bred dog, like a komondor, but just can't afford the breeder price and can't find one to rescue.

PJ's Mom
05-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
Again, I personally don't see whats so digusting about this. Perhaps I'm missing something about why others think it is. :confused:

I agree. There's nothing wrong with it. I really, really want a Rottie puppy. I can afford a Rottie. Hubby won't let me have one. He can hardly say no if I win one, though. :D

Kfamr
05-06-2005, 03:16 PM
If it was garunteed to go to someone who actually deserves a dog, who will actually be able to pay for any emergencies, ect.. it'd be completely fine.

But, a contest like this on the internet could go to any Joe Blow who could lie out of their @$$ to get a dog, for who knows what. Text can sometimes seem sincere but you can't always be too sure what's behind it.

PJ's Mom
05-06-2005, 03:23 PM
I understand exactly what you mean, but they seem to have a good screening process. They won't be just handing someone a puppy. You have to go through the breeder or shelter and surely they wouldn't let a puppy go to just anyone. :)

lute
05-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by IRescue452
Its not bad. The person has to go through the adoption application of the breeder and/or shelter. They are still being evaluated to see if they are a good home. Perhaps there is somebody like me who would love a pure bred dog, like a komondor, but just can't afford the breeder price and can't find one to rescue.
i agree!
if i were looking for a puppy(which i'm not) i'd fill it out to gt a great dane or newfoundland because both those breeds, if they come from a good breeder, are pretty durn expensive. even rescues are getting more expensive. there's a dane rescue here that has an adoption fee of $250. i could use that $500 toward that fee.

cali
05-06-2005, 04:26 PM
I dont see anything wronge with it either, all you win is $500 to be put towards getting a puppy or dog from the breeder or rescue of your choice, you still have to go through all the screening prcesses of the breeder or shelter, you just win $500 to help pay for the pup lol some breeders charge a lot of money for a puppy, a lot of people would not be able to pay for anything else after they got the puppy because the initial price is so high, I do not even slightly agree that if you cannot afford the initial price then you cant afford a dog, I mean if you can afford the initial price what are the chaces you will have enugh money to pay for the rest of the stuff? lol I think the extra money is better put toward things the dog needs, rather then spending $500-$1000 on the puppy itself lol

wolfsoul
05-06-2005, 05:48 PM
I don't see anything too bad about it. I hate how it's "winning" a puppy, but it's only putting $500 to the initial cost. I remember back when I was considering getting a shiloh shepherd after my catahoula -- I emailed tons of breeders, and almost every one charged $1200 for one puppy. To heck with that. With $500 taken off of that, that's $700 which is alot more reasonable to me (But I decided to rescue a catahoula after my first catahoula is all grown up, so I (hopefully) will not be needing that $500. That would be one expensive rescue. ;) ).

Vette
05-06-2005, 06:06 PM
I dont think its a good idea to give away 'free' animals period.

http://www.petrescue.com/library/free-pet.htm

puggywuggles41893
05-06-2005, 06:41 PM
How could you "win" a puppy? That's terrible! Puppies aren't something you can win. They should be made into a part of the family! I think that is one of the worst things ever.:( :confused: :eek:

pethop
05-06-2005, 09:00 PM
yea, i think it's just the word "win" sounds really really bad... "give away" too

maybe they should say "we will help you to adopt a puppy for free" ;)

flamepony12
05-06-2005, 09:02 PM
:( This might be okay if they were actually going to look at the person who's winning the puppy, and their house before giving a pup away. :(

Suki Wingy
05-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Hmmm" We'll help you buy the puppy (and notice how they say puppy, not dog) but you get to pay for the vet bills and food and toys and kennel fees and grooming fees etc. etc. ect."

CathyBogart
05-08-2005, 12:15 AM
The breed I want tends to run so expensive than even with $500 help I couldn't afford it. >.< I don't think this contest is so bad, they seem to be going about it in a responsible manner.

Jods
05-08-2005, 02:56 PM
I signed up hehehe naughty me.... I chose a Old English Sheepdog.

dukedogsmom
05-08-2005, 02:59 PM
If I could have one, it would be the Hungarian Kuvasz. They seem to be awesome dogs.

aly
05-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Would they ever do a contest like this to "win" money to adopt a human child? I really don't think so. That is why I have a problem with it. Animals are far too often regarded as property. Also there is no guarantee that the person will be screened correctly. What if they choose a "breeder" who doesn't even screen? What if they buy a puppy mill dog? How are the officials of this contest going to stop that? Blech. Winning $500 towards vet care for CURRENT animals would be much better.

jackie
05-08-2005, 07:01 PM
I think is a neat idea, as someone posted above, the winner would still need to go through the screening and adoption process. And it also mentions that if you want to adopt a pound pup, the leftover cash would go to your vet bills and kibble.

fishjade
05-11-2005, 05:19 AM
My dream dogs is Westie and min-Schnauzer.. But I live in a small town which it is so hard to find puppys.. so I do the serach online and found out the puppy are around $700 to $900 , it is too expensive for a poor students as me . hoho ~~ if i can win the money , it helps a lot :p