PDA

View Full Version : Getting out stains in fur

wolf_Q
05-06-2005, 01:03 AM
Nebo has white on his neck and he's always getting gray stains from the tags on his collar. He has a bit of a stain on his chest too from his leather harness. He gets a bath every month and I usually bring him in between baths just to wash his neck. The stains drive me crazy. I use whitening shampoo full strength and let it sit there for 5 minutes and I've tried degreaser shampoo also. I always get most of it out but I can never get rid of the stains completely, there's always a bit of gray left. Anybody know of anything that works really well to get stains out of dog fur?

I'm thinking about buying or making one of those pouches for the tags, I'd think that would help. Anyone know where I can find one of those?

RobiLee
05-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Hmmm, I can't think of anything to help you with the stains though. I do like the idea of the little pouch for the tags. I didn't even know they made such a thing. If you find some let me know.

Best of luck finding something to remove the stain. Give Bebo a big hug from me!

Robin :)

Muddy4paws
05-06-2005, 11:20 AM
Im not sure if it works on dogs of if u can get a dog version but its dry shampoo u just spray it on and rub it and leave it for a while it maybe easiler than bathing him so much seein as hes a big boy! im not sure if they do the dog versions but they make it for cats? :confused:

lv4dogs
05-06-2005, 12:01 PM
I've been searching for a shampoo for the grey stains for about 15 years now!
They do sell plastic ID tags, but the town & rabies are still metal. My humane society sells the plastic tag pouches as well as one of my local pet shops, I tried one version & I wasn't happy with it. Maybe I'll try the other one.

Bigyummydog
05-06-2005, 12:05 PM
sorry i don't know how to get out stains, but, you could get one of those tags that sew on the collar, and try wrapping the metal on the harness with some kind of cloth, you could actually get creative with that........:D tape will make a sticky mess... :p

lizbud
05-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Sounds kind of weird, but I cleaned my dogs tags (for the
upteeth time) before I tried putting clear nail polish on the tags.
Now, any dirt is easy to wipe right off quickly. Smokie & Maggie
are both black dogs so the stain thing is non existant but it sure
keeps the tags shiney. :)

RobiLee
05-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Clear nail polish? Hmmm, does that really work? I think I will give that a try also. Thanks!

Bigyummydog
05-06-2005, 12:24 PM
hey! never thought of that! :D

lizbud
05-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Yeah, it works for me.:D I hung them on twisted paper clips to dry. (weird again:rolleyes: ) It's really helped.

Dixieland Dancer
05-06-2005, 12:39 PM
I train Dixie in hunting. One of the rules is that they are not allowed to have anything dangling from their collar. I guess someone thinks that could be some kind of training device. :confused: So I have a name tag that slides onto the collar and I use very small pop rivets to put their other tags on the collar also. No danglies from their collars and no stains!

Kfamr
05-06-2005, 12:41 PM
I think i'll have to try that clear nail polish thing when we get new tags. They scratch too easily!