PDA

View Full Version : Horses

Emiley
01-24-2002, 07:36 PM
I LOVE HORSES! I think horses rock! If you have a horse or like horses talk to me! I have 2 horses and they are wonderful! I love riding! If you have any horse stories please relpy! :rolleyes: ;) :D :) :cool:

zippy-kat
01-24-2002, 09:52 PM
Hi there!

Horses are beautiful animals aren't they? I really want to own one someday. Right now I ride on the University Equestrian Team. Our first competition of the semester is Feb. 1-3!

I saw in your profile your parents have Morgans! I LOVE Morgans!!! Have you seen this site? American Morgan Horse Association (http://www.morganhorse.com/)

I love this guy! Isn't he beautiful?
RJM Pardon My French (http://www.morganhorse.com/SSA/rjmpard.html)

I'd love to hear more about your horses!

jennifert
01-25-2002, 12:36 PM
I love horses also!! I rode saddleseat for about 7 years. My aunt owns a farm locally and Irode for her to represent her farm. I really enjoy just being around horses. They are such beautiful animals! I want to get back into riding but right now it's too expensive for my budget. And if I do, I would like to learn dressage. Some of the things those saddlebreds had to go through were upsetting.
Here's an interesting sideline: When I was 12, I went to a horse show with my aunt. There was this beautiful 12 yr old saddlebred gelding for sale named Midnight Warrior. My parents tried so hard to buy him for me but couldn't make the numbers work. So my aunt bought him instead!!:D I rode him for the next 5 years! He was gorgeous, 17 hhs, pure black!! She kept him at her farm until he passed away at the age of 21. (He and I were the exact same age! And we were best friends!) BUT, this is the neat part, he won the Grand Championship at Madison Square Garden in 1980!! He was on the cover of Horse Illustrated! I have the picture somewhere and if I ever catch up to the technology, I will post the pics.
How do you ride Emily? English Western? What about you Zippy? Tell me more!! We don't hear enough about horses on this board!

carrie
01-26-2002, 12:17 PM
I am a bit of a horse fanatic too.
I don't ride anymore, sadly, because several jumping accidents (I wasn't very good at it!) have left me with back problems that I can't risk with another fall.

My all time horse in a million was an Arab mare called Khardein. She was bred to Sahara Duke and produced a stunning colt, Sahara Khaliffa. He went on to Arab racing and was very successful.

Khardein was loaned out to my boss' cousin when she was around eight and enjoyed drag hunting and showing.

My memories of this mare a very special to me as I was the first to back her and spent many hours each day grooming and just being with her. She loved to rest her head on my shoulder and doze off and was the most beautiful creature in the world. She also loved to frighten the living daylights out of my Dad. He has never been an animal sort of person and would act all brave in front of me. All Khardein had to do was toss her head to have him jumping back ten feet and she loved that!

zippy-kat
01-26-2002, 12:53 PM
Jenn~ I ride mostly English. I have rode stockseat before tho (western).

Carrie ~ do you have any pics of your mare? I'd love to see them! I went to the US/Canadian Arab Nationals last October--so many gorgeous horses! What is drag hunting and showing?

Horses are wonderful creatures aren't they?!

Emiley
01-26-2002, 03:10 PM
I ride English and Western. My mom rides Western. I have been to the morgan web site. As a matter of fact my mom is at a meeting today. I couldn't come because I wouldn't be recieving an award.:( I am looking for a registered Morgan that is childsafe. I broke my arm from a riding acident on my old horse. I would prefer a palomino, but anthing will do. If you see any for sale tell me. Also they must be in the Georgia\Florida area! Thanks.

-Emiley

carrie
01-27-2002, 05:41 AM
Khardein was shown in hand and drag hunting is a great sport. One person, either on foot or on horse back, lays a trail using a sack filled with a strong aniseed scent. This can vary from a couple of miles to seven or eight depending on how fit the horses are. Then a pack of hounds and riders on horseback follow the trail - it is hunting without the prey animal really.

zippy-kat
01-27-2002, 01:11 PM
;) Gotcha!

Sounds like a very animal-friendly sport!

carrie
01-27-2002, 03:27 PM
It sure is!
I met up with Karen today (!!!!!!!) and gave her the only photo I had to hand in a hurry so she will try and post it when she gets home next weekend. It was taken in summer and the horses were sleepy so it's not the most impressive picture in the world. But, well it's all I could find at short notice....watch this space.