PDA

View Full Version : Home

Laura's Babies
05-05-2005, 10:05 AM
I am home! Rie came got me about a hour ago, thank God we were down in this area. I have a call in to my son's wife and soon as I talk to her, I will start on a plan to get to Virginia.. I don't know where to even get a airline ticket too until I talk to someone up there.. This is horriabl, horriable news and needless to say, I am extreemly upset and stressed. PT prayers work miracles so keep them coming as hard and as many as you can. I will be pacing the floor until I decide what I am going to do....

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Good thoughts and prayers on the way Laura. :(

QueenScoopalot
05-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Of course plenty of prayers will be coming your way Laura! I'm guessing something really scary has happened on your end for you to bail ship, and fly to Virginia. :( (((HUGS))) and let us know what's up if you can, or will. ;) :(

Laura's Babies
05-05-2005, 10:23 AM
See Rie-Ries thread here for those who don't realize Rie is my daughter...

http://67.15.70.205/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78356

furrykidsmother
05-05-2005, 10:28 AM
This is the post of the bad thing that happened.
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?threadid=78356
Good luck and prayers are on their way!

sirrahbed
05-05-2005, 11:21 AM
oh ((((Laura)))):( I am so sorry - but how wonderful that you were close enough to get home. When you call for your airfare - be sure and have the name of the hospital where Eddie is and you will receive what they call "compassionate" airfare - a very good discount on your ticket. I hope you are there by tonight!!

I am praying, Laura. Right now, and will keep thinking of this and asking God for more help. ((((HUGS))))

catmandu
05-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Prayers,are on the way,for Eddie,and we pray,that he can recover,and persevere,through,the therapy,that is going,to be needed,for the healing process.In the name,of Our Just,and Merciful Lord,we beseech you.

Ginger's Mom
05-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Oh Laura, I really am so sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers are going out for Eddie and your entire family. Please keep us informed.

Laura's Babies
05-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Here is a picture of him and his wife when they renewed their vows (25th annivesary) Last June..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/EddieandReginarenewingvows.jpg

He is in the Sentara Norfolk General Hopsital.. I am on the phone with my daughter in law now..

sirrahbed
05-05-2005, 11:38 AM
oh Laura!! He will be glad to have "Mom" there for him!! What a frightening thing to have happen!

But...he is alive and will heal. I know you want to be ewith him as soon as possible. More prayers and (((HUGS)))) to you.

That picture from last June is very nice:) They are and will continue to be a happy and handsome couple.

kimlovescats
05-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Oh Laura, my prayers are with you and your dear son. I am so glad that you were able to come home to be with him. Please keep us updated as often as you can. Sending BIG prayers and BIG HUGS!!!

Hang in there, sweetheart!

Love you,
Kim

Laura's Babies
05-05-2005, 03:31 PM
Sorry I am so late getting back to post but it has been a hectic day.. My daughter in law sounded a lot better than I had expected her to sound. She is staying at the hospital around the clock, they do not want her to leave since if they need to do something, someone has to be there to sign the paper work. This will get pretty grafic so if you have a weak stomack, skip the rest of this post..

They are pouring fluids into him so his body is swelling which is making his vains collasps so they have had to split his arms and sides open. He is being fed through a tube in his nose and she said his lungs too, were burned so they are most likely going to put a tube in his throat. Phenemonia and infection are what we have to fear the most. He has a lot of skin that has to be removed and will need many surgeries and skin grafts. (I offered some of my old loose skin but they don't want skin from live donars)

His blood pressure keeps bottoming out on them so they have to cut back on his pain meds which leaves him in a lot of pain... BUT, when they come in to change his bandages, he trys to help them remove the bandages!

She said it is not difficult looking at him because it is like it is not really him. He looks nothing like he use to and reality has not set in with her yet. NCIS is doing a investigation into what happened since he worked on a Naval Base and they are holding meetings everywhere, trying to find out how this happened.

She said the hospital rents rooms for $25 a day for family and that is how she is staying there around the clock and that I can share the room with her, has 2 twin beds and if Kevlin and Rie go, we can get them a room there too. The food at the cafeteria is good and it is cheap so that will help out a lot. The hospital is 1 1/2 hours from where they live so it is best to stay there. Her Mom and step Dad drove in from Atlanta last night and her Dad is coming soon as he can get a military hop that will get him there. I am booking a flight soon as I find out if I need one for 1 or 2... Keep the prayers coming and I will try to post updates on our family web sight after I get there if I don't have time to post everywhere and do emails all over.

Our family web sight and they are "The Smiths"

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/freeboard.cfm?id=649433

luvofallhorses
05-05-2005, 04:33 PM
that's horrible Laura :( you and your family will be in my prayers

(((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))

catcrazylady
05-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Oh Laura I'm late but please know that you have all the prayers I can possibly send going out for your son. I just know there is another miracle coming to such a wonderful family. God bless you and your family Laura. You will be continually in my thoughts.
Hang in there Laura and know we are here for you if you need us. Let us know what you can when you can and if there is anything at all we can do to help.

God Bless you all!

christa
05-05-2005, 05:09 PM
I am so sorry that this has happened . . .

You & your family are in my prayers!

kimlovescats
05-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Oh Laura, this just brings me to tears!:( :( :(
I have no doubt that his poor wife is still in shock ... what an awful sight for her to see. I feel so for you right now, Laura ... I wish there were something I could do. My love and prayers are with you, dear friend!

HUGS,
Kim

prechrswife
05-05-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this news! You and your children are in my prayers.

QueenScoopalot
05-05-2005, 08:25 PM
I'm in shock by your description of what's happened to your son so far. :( :eek: I hope you got a flight out to Virginia, and will be able to cope with all that's been happening. I'm there for you too if you need to cry, or scream or whatever...you have my number. Please try and keep us posted. (((HUGS))) and many prayers being said for Eddie.

Soapets
05-05-2005, 09:49 PM
I'll be keeping your son and you and other family and friends in my prayers as well. This has got to be so stressful for you right now. I'll check in on your website, and will continue to keep the prayers coming....

Sevens
05-06-2005, 08:18 AM
(((Hugs)))

I will keep your brother in my prayers.

Also, if it can be of any help to you....Sentara Norfolk General is the best hospital in that area. They are what's known as a Level 1 Trauma Center which means they are well equipped to deal with serious stuff like burns and car accidents and shootings and whatnot.

I have a ton of family who lives down there and if any of them were hurt, I'd want them in that hospital.

Good luck and I will keep praying for him as hard as I can.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Oh Laura, I'm so sorry. :( I know burns are nasty nasty things and it sounds down right horrible what your son is going through. :( Him, you and your entire family are in my thoughts and prayers.

mruffruff
05-06-2005, 10:28 AM
God give you all the strength to overcome this tragedy. With a wonderful family beside him, he will have reason to heal.

Laura's Babies
05-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Sevens, thanks for the thumbs up on the hospital. I feel better hearing that. I think it is just awesome that we can rent rooms and get discounts on our meals right there in the hospital. My daughter in law said that everyone has just bent over backwards ready to help and the offers are continuing to pour in for anything any of us may need, even money is being given to help her with her room and meals.

My sister just called, Brandon is her grandson and she just went through pretty much the same thing and she had lots of good advice to help me through this. There is nothing like having a sister, is there? I am the one she leans on but this time, I am leaning on her but she says she is sure I will handle it and be alright in dealing with whatever there is to come.

My strength will come from the Lord and I will trust Him to see me this rough time. Through HIM, all things are possiable!

Logan
05-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Oh Laura, now I have read everything. I'm so very sorry that your family, and especially your son, are having to deal with this. He will have a long, hard recovery, but bless his heart, it sounds like he is a fighter and with all of you there cheering for him, he will get through this.

Our prayers and best thoughts are with you all.

Logan

momcat
05-06-2005, 05:52 PM
If it is any comfort to you at all, the prayers have started and will continue each and every day. Eddie will be a prayer concern at my church during our Sunday service this week and well into the future. You and Rie are also in our prayer concern. Trust in God, He's always there and be sure He is always with you. Bless all of you! When you are able, please let us know how things are going.

Laura's Babies
05-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Today was another thrilling day. They let Eddie become more awake than before and I know he heard us and reconized our voices. He would cut his eyes in the direction we spoke from. When I talked to him, I told him that all I wanted was to see those big brown eyes and I swear, he opened his eyes even wider. He batted his eyes at us the whole time we would talk to him and several times he looked like he was trying to talk...but has that tube in so he can't.

They are not going to keep him as deep in a coma as they have been but still on heavy pain medications. Regina asked him to wiggle his toes and he did... she told him to wiggle his other toes and he did.. SO folks, I got to see his brown eyes, groggy and weak, but I am thrilled to death.. He knows we are here!!!

rg_girlca
05-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Oh gosh Laura, you got me in tears again.

How thrilling for you and the family to see Eddie's beautiful brown eyes.

It will be a long road for him, but he IS going to be just fine.
With a fabulous family like you guys, how could he not be.

Prayers still on the way for Eddie and his family.

catnapper
05-12-2005, 04:36 PM
How on earth did I miss this whole saga? I am so sorry for your son and your family. Great news to hear that he wasalert enough to recognise everyone's prescence! I'm sending extra prayers your way!

kittycats_delight
05-12-2005, 05:34 PM
That is great Laura that Eddie knows you are there and recognises you all. I know it's just a little step with lots more little steps to come but with all your support and lots of extra prayers from your PT family it will all happen. He will be good as new and be so happy he has such a wonderful family. You are amazing and strong and he is a lucky lucky man to have such a marvellous mother beside him to help him on his road to recovery. Lots more prayers and angels and good vibes coming for Eddie and the rest of the family.

catmandu
05-12-2005, 05:53 PM
More Prayers,are on thier way,and we pray,that Eddie,wiill be able,to recover,and regain,his health.What a terrible thing,to have happen,to that Gentleman.

NoahsMommy
05-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Oh Laura...lots of hugs and prayers being sent your way, sweetie. (((((HUGS))))))

It must have been so great to be able to see your son's eyes and see him be able to respond.

Hugs, Kelly

QueenScoopalot
05-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Laura, We all know it's going to be tough to get through this, but if any family can, it sounds like yours can, and will. I'm so glad to hear Eddie is more alert, and he knows his family is with him. ;) Still praying for Eddie, and the rest of your family, and will continue to. I can't wait to hear some more happy news from you. (((HUGS)))!

Laura's Babies
05-13-2005, 10:27 AM
Kevlin and Rhonda are on their way and should be in sometime today!

Nothing much is happening with Eddie today. Whoever told Regina that he was scheduled for surgery today told her wrong. Things are still about the same, meaning, no setbacks.

I told Marie today that our prayers now should be for progress to continue going forward with NO setbacks!! Each day is a miracle!

Someone from his work told us yesterday that as a result of this, they are now looking into getting fire retardand clothing for these guys to wear to work. That is a great thing and it may save someone else from ever being burned this bad.

Keep the prayers coming!!

catfamily
05-13-2005, 12:59 PM
More prayers on the way.I will keep it up.

Laura's Babies
05-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Kevlin and Rhonda arrived yesterday around 4 pm. Shortely after he got here, he got a call, his Dad was put in the hospital for a possiable spider bite.. DARN! This family is catching is right and left these days for some reason... believe me, this is highly unusual for us.

Rie caught her airplane back home this morning and I will miss her for sure!

Eddie is off the resperator now and they said next to go will be the feeding tube. Looks like his deep coma is over with dispite what they told us earlier. He is responding to us a lot now but our concern is how much pain he is in and if he is suffering. He has to nod "yes" to the question "are you in pain" before they will give him more and heris PO'ed and stubborn and won't nod for them. He got highly upset when they told Regina she HAD to leave last night. I know his mind is foggy and he is so confused and don't understand what is happening and why he can't talk..

rg_girlca
05-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Oh my gosh Laura, if it doesn't rain, it pours.

How much more can one family endure.:( I pray that Kelvin's Dad will be okay.

This must be so hard on Eddie, not understanding what is going on. Hopefully in a short time he realize what had happened.

All of you are still in my prayers.

Thanks for updating us when you can Laura.

kimlovescats
05-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Prayers still coming for all of your family, Laura. ((((((((HUGS)))))))

Kim

momcat
05-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Positive thoughts and many prayers continue for EVERYONE

Laura's Babies
05-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Ok, the news is GREAT, he gets food tomorrow! He has been awake and very talkitive today even making a sad, frowning face when I told him Kevlin had left this morning. He pulled a joke on Kevlin yesterday even.. His eyes are clearing and as each minute passes, I see more and more of my beautiful brown eyes boy there!!

His supervisor called yesterday to tell us the story of when it happened and the heros, that saved Eddies life. After the explosion, Eddie walked down a hallway ON FIRE saying "Help me, I am on fire!". These men, jumped up and ran to him, throwing him to the floor, pounding out the fire with their hands, burning their hands and ripping his burning clothes off of him and poured water on him to cool him down. The explosion set the building on fire so it had to be evacuated but these men refused to leave him telling the people and fire department that they would not leave the building without him.. These men stayed in that burning building with Eddie until the EMT's came and took him out.. Then they said, they didn't do anything special....:eek: These guys are HEROS to those of us who love Eddie and we sure hope we get to see them very soon!!

catnapper
05-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Wow... what a story. Those men ARE heros. I have goosbumps reading what they did. They are special human beongs and will be rewarded in life beyond their dreams for their act of selflessness and love.

I am so happy to hear about his progress. It must be excruciating to see him in this condition.

rg_girlca
05-15-2005, 05:53 PM
Oh Laura, what wonderful news. I hope Eddie isn't in too much pain. I am so glad that you are able to be with him. He sounds like a very strong person. Already pulling jokes, he sounds like one super duper guy.

I hope that you do get to meet these Heros who saved your sons life. To stay with him regardless of the building being on fire, is without a doubt, Heroism is my books.

Prayers and Hugs for you and your family.

momcat
05-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Oh, Laura! It's so good to hear of Eddie's progress. Maybe it's better that he doesn't remember the explosion at least for now. I was so moved hearing about the men who helped Eddie then refused to leave a dangerous situation until Eddie was safely taken out. They truly are angels among us! Our prayers continue for you, Eddie, and your family. There's no doubt that prayers of thanks are in order for those brave, caring gentlemen that risked so much to ensure Eddie's safety. What goes around, comes around. God will reward them. May God continue to bless all of you and continue to show his infinite mercy. Special prayers for your heros!!!!!

QueenScoopalot
05-15-2005, 06:20 PM
You must be elated Laura! That's such great news that Eddie is joking around after such bad burns to him. You have a strong family that's for sure. :eek: ;) And the men who risked their own lives to pull Eddie out are most certainly heros IMO! :) Thanks for such an uplifting update, and I'm still praying for Eddie and your family. (((HUGS))) Jan

kimlovescats
05-16-2005, 12:32 AM
Laura, that story is amazing, and yes those men are not only heros, but ANGELS as well! I am so thankful to read of Eddie's remarkable progress!

Love and Hugs,
Kim:D

sandragonfly
05-16-2005, 01:29 AM
laura!!! I'm out of hospital and so sorry this happened before I could send you my prayers and daily thoughts! but I've been thinking of you...and him. it hurts to remember. :(

I wanting to give you a big gentle bear hug for what happened to your dear! very, very sorry eddie, you, relatives & friends who love him had to go through this... so difficult & sad. that is so great to see some smiling notes at least today! seems eddie have been responsive, that's good!! and my sympathy goes to everybody...except that spider!! ;)

({(big X's & big O's)})

Laura's Babies
05-16-2005, 03:04 PM
HI GINA!! Glad you are out and hopefully doing better. STAY WELL now!! OK? :D Glad to see you posting again!

Eddie was took out of bed today and sat in a chair for 30 minutes and he ended up staying out of bed 45 to 60 minutes.. HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE!! He is getting very aggitated that we are having a hard time understanding him and someone told Regina it would take a week or more until he has his full voice back. He told her last night that he didn't reconize any of us then turned right around and told the nurse, "This is my daughter Krystal" pointing at Krystal... His mind is still confused and clowdy but his eyes are clearer and clearer and he is looking better and better. Our mouths fell to the floor when we saw him today because he looked so good.. This is so much more than we expected this early into it... WOW!!:eek:

kimlovescats
05-16-2005, 03:34 PM
Laura, I am REJOICING with you!!!!!!!!!:D :D

rg_girlca
05-16-2005, 03:46 PM
OMG Laura, happy tears are flowing down my face as I write this.

How amazing that he has come this far in such a short time.

Hugs & Prayers still for everyone, especially for Eddie. :)

sandragonfly
05-16-2005, 03:50 PM
great news, laura!! I remember I was at the hospital with my grandfather last year and thought he had to do only ten steps but he decided to continue all way down the hallway...more than 60 steps! we got soo happy, so your eddie must have been thinking very positive, what a good signal!

but that doesn't mean my prayers will be stopped.. ((xohugsox))

catcrazylady
05-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Laura I could not be happier for you ALL!! Great news!! What a wonderful update.
Prayers are still coming and I just know that things are going to keep on getting better and better!

Lots of Love and Hugs!!

momcat
05-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Positive thoughts, much love, and many many prayers continue. Hey, Eddie! How are you doing today? Thinking of you.....

Soapets
05-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Keeping the prayers and thoughts coming from Nebraska..........

This is such good news!:) I know it's going to be a long road to travel, but it sounds like he's got a good start. Just keep your spirits up, and take time for yourself as well.....

Rie Rie
05-17-2005, 07:27 AM
Not sure if all of you know, I am Eddie's sister. I was with mom in Va. for a week, but had to come home. I am so thrilled about the progress Eddie is making in such a short time. I am heart broken that I had to leave the day he began to speak, but I feel like he knew I was there the day they began to bring him out of the coma, even if he doesn't rememebr it now. Not sure if I'll get back there this summer, my son has football stuff to do all summer long.
Just continue the prayers...............

Logan
05-17-2005, 08:34 AM
What an amazing update, Laura!!! :) Our prayers continue.

Laura's Babies
05-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Eddie is scheduled to have surgery tomorrow to put sking grafts on his hands, they were hoping they would not need them but it is looking like he does. He is still doing good but now is getting aggitated and upset and is having to be tied down to the bed to keep him from getting up and pulling everything aloose. Last night he pulled everything off (monitors) and pulled out his feeding tube. When I left him last night he told me as soon as he could figure out how to get out of here, he is leaving... It is the pain meds he is on and it is making it hard for him to understand.

Regina talked on the phone last night with one of the men who saved Eddie that day. He said they are all having nightmares every night and having a hard time coping with the visuals of that day. She insisted that they all come up here to see how good he looks and hopefully, replace that horrid visual with a nicer picture.

She asked that I ask you all to pray for peace for these wonderful guys to help them recover mentally and emotionally for what life threw at them suddenly that so horriable that is it effecting them in their sleep.

kimlovescats
05-19-2005, 12:56 PM
I prayed specifically for these brave men, just a few moments ago. I also posted on your family site!;)

Hugs,
Kim

QueenScoopalot
05-19-2005, 01:28 PM
I'm so happy to know Eddie is doing better than expected. Great news that he's sitting up now, and becoming more lucid. Go Eddie! :) I'm still saying prayers for Eddie, and also for his saviors who are dealing with their own mental anguish. It would be nice if the company Eddie and his heros work for pay for counseling for these guys, so they can be helped through it. It's pretty much the same mental pain that people who are at war go through. I'm having a mental block on what the term is called, but these brave men need help too, and shouldn't have to deal with sleepless nights, and nightmares of Eddie's ordeal. :( Thanks for the update Laura, and I'm so sorry Eddie has to be tied down, but it's for his own good...poor guy. :( (((HUGS))) and stay strong. ;)

mina'smomma
05-19-2005, 01:39 PM
Laura,

I'm glad to hear that Eddie is doing better. I will continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers. I will also add in his heroic rescuers that they will start having peaceful dreams.

momcat
05-19-2005, 06:08 PM
As our prayers continue for all of you, it's good to hear of Eddie's progress. His guardian angels have also been in my thoughts and prayers. It's easy to understand the difficulty the heros who saved Eddie's life are experiencing now. QueenScoopalot, were you referring to Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome? Fortunately, the after effects of something like this are recognized and effective help is available. Keep on holding on, Laura. I'm still solidly on your side! Hey, Eddie...how are you feeling today?

catcrazylady
05-20-2005, 06:46 AM
Laura the news on Eddie just keeps getting better and better. I'm so sorry that he has to be tied down but I'm glad to hear that he is strong enough to cause so much trouble!;) You sure do have an amazing and very strong family. I just knew Eddie would be a fighter like his mom.:)

Those poor hero's that saved Eddie.:( They witnessed a horrible thing and I think RieRie is right. They need to come see how good Eddie is doing so they can see something good and realize that they saved his life and he will get through this. Thanks to them!

We are still praying hard for Eddie's recovery and for strength for his wonderful family. God bless you all Laura!!!

Magoo sends you special nose rubs, headbumpies, and lots of sandpaper kisses!:D

Laura's Babies
05-20-2005, 09:34 AM
The government got these guys counseling right from the start to help them deal with this. The fella Regina talked to told her the biggest help is with them talking to each other and realizing they are all experiencing the same exact things and that they are not crazy for this effecting them so bad. They talk within their group often and that is the best therapy they can get.

Eddie is scheduled for surgery at 11 am but sometimes they run late. He is alert this morning and talking up a storm. They have both his hands tied to the bed to prevent anymore mishaps like they had night before last. (He told his daughter that pulling that feeding tube out was a MISTAKE and he won't do that again!!!) I told him when I left last night that I was going to get a cup of coffee so he would think I was coming back and stay CALM!! He seems to get most upset when there is no one in there and perhaps he gets bored?

catcrazylady
05-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Oh Laura, bless your heart. It must be so hard to see him like this. The news is good and it does keep getting better but I know you all still have to be so worried. I'm sure all the meds that Eddie is on is what makes him do or say confusing things. I'm just so glad they have all these wonder drugs today so he doesn't have to experience all that pain.
Is the surgery for skin grafts? How many places will he have to have grafts done?

I always feel so much better when you update and I'm glad to hear that things are still improving.
We love you and we are still praying hard for Eddie and your family. Let us know how the surgery goes as soon as you can.
{{{HUGS}}} dear friend!

kimlovescats
05-20-2005, 09:59 AM
Prayers coming for the surgery today!;)

Laura's Babies
05-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Opps CCL, yes, the surgery is for skin grafts on his hands. They have the grafts everywhere else already and were waiting to see if they would be needed on his hands. His fingers were somewhat uncovered this morning and I got to see his fingers and they looked fine to my untrained eyes but I haven't seen the palms or tops of the hands. That guy that Regina talked to that helped put the fire on him out asked her how the cut on his hand was and that was the first we had heard of a cut on one of his hands. We are hoping he will be out of surgery soon.

I talked to one of his nurses outside today and she said this hand surgery is not going to set him back a bit, he will still be sitting up and eating and she said that burn victems are not scarred as bad as they use to be and she said his face will come out looking fine. (We already figured that out by how good it looks now)

MULTICATMOM
05-20-2005, 01:06 PM
that is great news, congratulations to all!!

momcat
05-20-2005, 08:09 PM
Hey Eddie! A whole ton of positives are being sent your way--- and also to your family. You're fighting the good fight, a lot of folks are on your side.

How are you doing, Laura? It's so wonderful to keep seeing such promising and positive reports on Eddie's progress. Have you met your heros yet? There are good people in this world! These gentlemen prove that there ARE angels among us. Many prayers continue......

rg_girlca
05-20-2005, 10:27 PM
It's so good to hear such positive news.

I hope all went well with the surgery.

Prayers still on the way for you Eddie and your family.

Laura's Babies
05-21-2005, 08:41 AM
The surgery yesterday went fine. They took skin from his lower legs to put on his hands and replaced some of the donar skin on his arms and body. Monday he will have surgery again and Friday they will start replacing the donar skin with his own. She said in 2 weeks his legs will be healed enough that they can go back and get more skin from his legs to put where they need it. It is amazing how all this is done!! He was back on the ventalator for the surgery but they said that will be gone this morning since he was breathing on his own ahead of it and it is not needed if he continued through the night.

For all of you that asks how I am doing, I am doing GREAT! Getting PLENTY of excersize walking all over this hospital, eating a lot more than I should be and sleeping like a log.. Our spirits are so high that we sing praises every day, all day long. Regina keeps trying to get me to take that 6 flights of stairs with her once a day but I am not THAT brave!!... and we are meeting a lot of WONDERFUL people here that have a family member here or is a paticent here.. I will tell you some of their stories when I get back home and can stay on the computer longer at a time.

MULTICATMOM
05-21-2005, 06:23 PM
THAT IS MORE GREAT NEWS!!:D

THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH EATING!! IN OUR FAMILY WE CALL IT 'STRESS EATING'...:eek: WE TAKE FOOD WITH US TO THE NURSING HOME, GRANDMA LOVES IT, AS DOES THE LADY NEXT DOOR!:D
WHERE CAN WE SEND CARDS & TREATS FOR Y'ALL?

Laura's Babies
05-23-2005, 08:22 AM
I finally got around to asking about a address... Guest Services.....Sentara General Hospital...........600 Gresham Drive.......... Norfolk General Hospital.... and of coarse our names, Laura Sibley or Regina Smith, his name is William Smith/sent c/o Regina Smith

Todays surgery is scheduled for 1:40 pm. They are going to replace the donar skin that needs replacing and get him ready for his own skin Friday. He was pretty much out of it most all day yesterday because they had to move his main line. He did eat a few fresh strawberries someone brought us for him and he said they were "rot your teeth sweet".. Yesterday his blood pressure was up a lot and he had a fever but the nurses were not to concerned. Soon as his BP meds were increased, that came back down.

Rie Rie
05-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Mom left off the zip code.........
THis is the correct address...
Guest Services
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital
600 Gresham Drive
Norfolk, Va. 23507
And of course you have to put theirs names like she said.
You all have been wonderful with all the support and prayers.

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-23-2005, 10:44 AM
OMG, Laura, I am so sorry for missing this post untill now... :( !

What a terrible thing to happen! Wounds from burning are very paiful, and it is also very hard for the relatives.
I am so happy to see that Eddie is already getting better. Of course he will be needing lots more of operations, but one day he will heal ! I will pray for him that this happens asap :)

ps. My parents lost my eldest brother (their first child) when he was only 2. He got burned severily and died after 3 days. Of course, there wasn't great surgery like we have nowadays : it happend almost 50 years ago!

Laura's Babies
05-23-2005, 11:03 AM
darn, I did foprget the zip code!:( Thanks Rie for doing that for me.

M&I Mommie, we have seen several people who have had sever burns since we have been here and it is just amazing how they look now! Some look no more than different color skin, some you can't even tell they were burned. They can do miracles nowdays. To bad your brother wasn't able to be saved, that had to be extreemly hard on your family to loose a child and to loose him like that.

Eddies face was spared the sever burns and it is healing nicely, some healed enough that it is completely healed but there are some bad spots but not many.

momcat
05-23-2005, 04:42 PM
Hi, Eddie! How are you feeling today? Everyone at my church is praying for you. Hang in there, Eddie, this too shall pass.....

Hey to you too, Laura, I'm happy and relieved to hear that you're also taking care of yourself at this difficult and stressful time. Positive thoughts, lots of love, and many prayers continue for all of you.....

Laura's Babies
05-27-2005, 08:50 AM
Eddie has gone in for his own skin grafts today. This will leave him very delicate now, even a soft touch could distroy that graft and give him and infection and a no visitor rule has been put into effect for everyone but the immediate family. The rules for us are really strict now. He will be out of it most of today but before surgery, he was alert and talking. They don't expect but 50 to 60% of the grafts to take as a rule but I am hoping that Eddie will beat those odds and surprise them all!! We do not know right now how often he will have the surgery to put his own skin grafts on but in this last week, he has had surgery.. Friday, Monday, Wednesday and again today (Friday).

All this seems to be moving so fast that it is hard to keep up with sometimes. Keep they prayes coming!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the uppydate, Laura! So good to hear that Eddie is coming along as well as can be expected. I think he's already surprising the docs so hopefully, like you say, he'll surprise them again and not reject as much skin as they are anticipating.

Thoughts and prayers haven't stopped. :)

christa
05-27-2005, 09:43 AM
Still praying for your son, Laura . . . as well as YOU and your family!

Hang in there! Sounds like he's doing really good! :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies
. To bad your brother wasn't able to be saved, that had to be extreemly hard on your family to loose a child and to loose him like that.

It all happened on december 22nd. Little Chris died on Christmas Eve, during the midnight mass... :( . This made it even harder:(

momcat
05-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Hello again, Laura! Thank you so much for the update on Eddie. He sounds like a really strong guy who is showing wonder ful progress. I hope you'll say hi to him from me when the time is right. You, Eddie, Regina, and Rie Rie are in my thoughts every day and please know that the prayers aren't going to stop anytime soon. Groucho asked me to send you plenty of snuggles and kitty kisses from him. With positive thoughts,love and many prayers.....

jazzcat
05-27-2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the update Laura. More prayers on the way.

MULTICATMOM
05-27-2005, 10:13 PM
DON'T WORRY LAURE, WHEN I HAD BRAIN SURGERY, I TRIED TO YNK ALL MY TUBES:rolleyes: THEY RESTRAINED ME TOO!! IT'S ALL THE MED THEY PUT IN HIS IV, MAKES YOU GOOFY;) LUCKILY IT MAKES YOU FORGET ALOT OF THE PAIN!! I'D A FEEDING TUBE FOR 6 WEEKS, MY FRIST BITE WAS A STALE STICKY CHEESE PUFF & IT STILL TASTED GREAT:D SOUNDS LIKE THEY'RE LETTING EDDIE EAT THOUGH IF HE HAD STRAWBERRIES:cool: THAT'S A VERY GOOD SIGN!! DID REGINA GET YOU ON THOSE STAIRS YET??:eek: :eek:
MANY PRAYERS & POSITIVE THOUGHTS CONTINUE TO FLOW FOR ALL INVOLVED!:) MAY WE BE BLESSED WITH MORE POSITIVE UPDATES THAT REPORT THE WONDERFUL LOVE & MERCY OF CHRIST IN EDDIES PHENOMINAL RECOVERY!!

QueenScoopalot
05-27-2005, 10:46 PM
I'm still saying multiple prayers for Eddie Laura! Hope the grafts take better than they anticipate! ;) He sounds like he's from stong stock! And that's a compliment from the heart. ;) Kirby sends his love! ;)

catcrazylady
05-28-2005, 06:32 AM
Laura all of your news sounds so encouraging. I know Eddie is going to continue to surprise everyone and do better than expected! Prayers are still coming for Eddie and the whole family.
Magoo sends more kissies and nose rubs to you!:D :D :D

Laura's Babies
05-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Eddie got his skin grafts Friday and they took more skin from his lower legs and put it on his neck. This is an extreemly critical time now and for the last 2 days, we have hardly been able to see him, resorting to peeks of him through his ICU window. He is extreemly prone to infections and ANYTHING could disturb and distroy his new skin grafts so he is being kept at -3 sedation status, meaning he is completely out of it now. The skin from his leg went on his neck and some of the grafts they grew somewhere else was put on his chest and arms, these are the ones they say will only have a 50 to 60% sucess rate. They have his arms extened up in the air and one of his legs up and he is just suspended like that for a least a week and will be kept asleep.

This is the hardest for Regina and I, both almost left in tears yesterday after only being able to look at him through the window briefly. If this is what we have to do, then we WILL do it to keep him as safe as we can from anything we might carry into him. I would imagine that as soon as this part is well enough, they will do another and another so we are wondering just how long it will be until we get Eddie back and see those brown eyes and his smile..
We were not warned or prepared for this part so it is hitting us pretty hard right now...

BUT... we have decided that we will NOT let this get us down! We will use this time to get away from the hospital more and do things for ourselves. Virginia Beach is only 10 miles away and since I have never been, we are going to go one day and eat on the boardwalk there and do other things as the days present themselves weatherwise and boardom wise.

Extra prayers are needed for Eddie right now to help ward off infections and keep the grafts safe and healthy!!

kimlovescats
05-29-2005, 09:44 AM
I'm sure Eddie is fine ..... but I can certainly understand that you and Regina feel like this is a set-back for the two of you. Don't worry, Eddie is still "in there" ... just resting while his body heals!

The Virginia Beach and other outings sound like a wonderful plan ... will be a good stress release for you both! ENJOY!

Hugs,
Kim
;)

furrykidsmother
05-29-2005, 10:58 AM
Still praying for your son, you and your family! Hope that Eddie gets better everyday. Try and find some time for yourselves. You can't be all worn out, you need to have strength for Eddie!

momcat
05-29-2005, 12:30 PM
Hi Laura, Eddie, Reginia, and RieRie!

Prayers were offered by the congregation of Bethany Church this morning for Eddie's continued recovery as well as for each of you to have the strength to get through each day. I can't begin to imagine how difficult it must be for all of you not to be able to be with him right now. Believe that he knows you're there even though direct contact isn't possible right now. Positive thoughts, love, and many more prayers for all. Virginia Beach is really nice, try to enjoy a bit of downtime.....

QueenScoopalot
05-29-2005, 01:09 PM
It sounds like a great idea for you and Regina to have a 'girls day out' and let Eddie get the rest, and healing he needs for now. I'm sure it's very hard not to be able to be by his side right now, but it's important that he's kept isolated so those grafts take. ;) Have a terrific day at the beach, and I'm still sending healing prayers for your son. ;)

MULTICATMOM
05-29-2005, 01:10 PM
EVEN THOUGH YOU BRAIN KNOWS YOU CAN'T GO IN, I'M SURE THAT WEARS ON YOUR NERVES!!:rolleyes: I'M SO GLAD THEY'RE KEEPING EDDIE UNCONSCIENCE!! YOU KNOW HOW ITCHY JUST SUNBURNS ARE:eek:
I HOPE Y'ALL TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS OPPORTUNITY TO GET SOME R & R! VIRGINIA BEACH SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT DAY!!:D MAYBE FIND A PETSMART, GET A 'FUR FIX'!!;)

catfamily
05-29-2005, 03:33 PM
This is so horrible but so nice that doctors can fix him up.I really hope he feels good physically and mentally in a few months.It will take a while before his spirits get lifted I think again.More prayers coming.

sandragonfly
05-30-2005, 10:34 PM
hey there,...still thinking of you! everyday..I really did.

I know how hard these days was...you know, doing something else would be better than sitting, staring athe window..., and time goes faster then there goes better eddie, before you know it! ;) :) oh, don't you worry, he's in god's hands!! he better be! this has been too long...

thinking of, praying for, hugging you all!!
gina & her babies

ps, we say take care!!

Barbara
05-31-2005, 04:45 AM
A year ago or so I read a long report in a magazine about how they deal with severe burns these days- which gave me the conviction that they can do miracles these days!

But of course the infection risk is very high.

Try to give your mind some nice beach impressions and to stay calm. Eddie is in the best hands and they know what they are doing.

He'll smile to you with those brown eyes!:)

Sorry, some tears here:(

Laura's Babies
06-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Tomorrow is an exciting day for us. They will find out how much of his grafts have taken. They have a covering on his skin like bridal vail and they will remove that and see how much is attached and growing to him. My mothers heart has such high hopes! This, to me, is a BIG important step in his progress and if more took than they say, we will be ahead of the game. Say special prayers for him tonight, today and in the morning that God has hepled guide the doctors hand in placing this on him and applied His healing touch so that we have great results tomorrow at his "unvailing"!!

momcat
06-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Hi, Laura, Regina, and RieRie!

The prayers that have not stopped continue and will continue. My sincerest wishes that the grafts have taken better than expected!!!!! Hi, Eddie, how are you feeling today? Your courage and strength are an inspiration! Keep fighting. I'm on your side!

QueenScoopalot
06-02-2005, 07:21 PM
I haven't stopped saying prayers for you and your family, and couragious Eddie either. ;) I hope 100% of those grafts take, and that Eddie keeps getting better every day. :) :) (((HUGS))) to you Laura, and do keep us posted. ;)

catcrazylady
06-03-2005, 06:16 AM
Laura you all are always in my prayers. I hope Eddie surprises all the doctors and all of his skin grafts have taken! Hang in there and keep us posted.
{{{{HUGS}}} to Eddie and the whole sweet family!

mina'smomma
06-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Tomorrow is an exciting day for us. They will find out how much of his grafts have taken. They have a covering on his skin like bridal vail and they will remove that and see how much is attached and growing to him. My mothers heart has such high hopes! This, to me, is a BIG important step in his progress and if more took than they say, we will be ahead of the game. Say special prayers for him tonight, today and in the morning that God has hepled guide the doctors hand in placing this on him and applied His healing touch so that we have great results tomorrow at his "unvailing"!!

How is your son doing? I'm keeping him and his resucers in my prayers. Sorry if I seem nosy, but did the grafts take. I sure hope so.

catnapper
06-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Any news on the grafts today? I've been reading while holding my breath waiting to see how everything took... many prayers flying your way this morning.

Laura's Babies
06-03-2005, 11:31 AM
JUMPS for JOY! 100%!!! got THAT?? 100% of the skin took on his torso. A 100% sucess! I am walking on air, dancing and singing praises!! THANK YOU JESUS!!

They want to wait until his upper arms dry out a little more before they give us a percentage rate on those but it is looking good there too. His neck took, his grafts on his hands took and we can move FOWARDS.......

PT Prayers WORK their miracles again!!!!

mina'smomma
06-03-2005, 12:11 PM
AWESOME!!!!!! DOING THE HAPPY DANCE RIGHT NOW. ~boss is wondering what I was shouting about~ Oh goodness Laura I'm so happy for you and yours. Well keep praying for even more good things to happen.

BIG HUGS TO EVERYONE FROM THE PARISH FAMILY.

Freckles
06-03-2005, 01:32 PM
That is great news!:D

lv4dogs
06-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Oh Laura, I am so sorry. Your family & you are in our prayers.

lbaker
06-03-2005, 02:41 PM
100% SO FAR!!! EXCELLENT!! Oh such needles and pins while waiting to hear. Let's just hope that's an indication of his inner strength and perserverance and things just keep on getting better. Soft warm smiles for Eddie and prayers for the whole family.

QueenScoopalot
06-03-2005, 02:51 PM
JUMPS for JOY! 100%!!! got THAT?? 100% of the sking took on his torso. A 100% sucess! I am walking on air, dancing and singing praises!! THANK YOU JESUS!!

They want to wait until his upper arms dry out a little more before they give us a percentage rate on those but it is looking good there too. His neck took, his grafts on his hands took and we can move FOWARDS.......

PT Prayers WORK their miracles again!!!!
Am I psychic? :confused: I posted this above yesterday Laura...~JUMPING FOR JOY~ along with you...and astounded that I wished for 100% and it came true!! :eek: Here's what I posted....
I haven't stopped saying prayers for you and your family, and couragious Eddie either. I hope 100% of those grafts take, and that Eddie keeps getting better every day. (((HUGS))) to you Laura, and do keep us posted.
(What shall my next prediction be?)
:confused: :D ;) :) :eek:

Laura's Babies
06-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Jan, maybe you have the connection with the Man Upstairs that He let you know same as He did me! I have had a peaceful feeling about this from the start, right from when I got the word on the boat that he would be fine and break the records. My common sense kept warning me not to get my hopes up to high but I have, like I said, had, a peaceful feeling about this from the start and I too knew, it would be a 100% take on the Epicel.

I finally went in the room and got a real good look at him. The resperator is out now (took that out today) and he is awake from the coma and those big brown eyes are wide open. I just kept telling him how utterly BEAUTIFUL he is and he did that sheepsih "awe shucks" grin of his. His face is healed and just beautiful beyond words. His hands are WONDERFUL looking and he is already trying to wiggle them. I just can not describe what a wondorus, beautiful day this is!!! THANK YOU JESUS!!!

QueenScoopalot
06-03-2005, 06:24 PM
I'm so happy for you all Laura! :) :) :) I must have some sort of connection with that MAN Upstairs, as He always seems to lead me to cats and kittens in dire need of rescuing. ;) Keep telling us nothing but good news from here on out....:D

rg_girlca
06-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Gosh, what fantastic news. I am sitting here with tears running down my face as your post Laura, just screams out happiness.
I can feel your excitement and can visualize your perpetual smile.

I am so happy for you, Eddie and your whole family.

Prayers on the way that Eddie continues to heal, both outside and inside.

catcrazylady
06-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Oh Laura this last report has the tears flowing!!! If that is not a miracle I don't know what is! I'm sure 100% is almost unheard of but for some reason I'm not surprised with your family.:) With your faith and all the prayers for Eddie I don't see how it could be anything but good.
This has just made my night!!! I will be thanking God all night long for all the great things he does for the wonderful PT family!
Bless you Eddie!!!
Laura I would give anything to grab you and hug the tar right out of you!!!;) :D :D

Laura's Babies
06-06-2005, 09:35 AM
We got a peek at his back yesterday and I was totally blown away by what I saw! His back has healed beautifully!! The nurse said that he will only need the skin transfpalnt (Epicel) on his love handles, that the rest has heals wonderfully! (We were thinking he would need his whole back done.) I also noticed last night that his fingernails are continuing to grow and the new growth is healthy and pink..

The nurse he had yesterday said he ate a little breakfast, lunch and supper and he wolfed down some ice cream last night. He can have anything he wants to eat, it is just catching him awake to feed him. They are still keeping him knocked out to keep him from moving to much since he thinks he can get up and do what he wants.... His muscle tone is about gone and he is going to have to work on building all that back up and learn how to walk all over again. It has been a month now since he has walked...

He looks more and more beautiful, every day! I am just one hell of a happy Mom!!

QueenScoopalot
06-06-2005, 12:55 PM
That's such WONDERFUL news Laura!!!! Shall "Swami Jan" make her next prediction? Eddie will leave the hospital in less than a month...by July he'll be out of there. Sounds like by the way things are going, it may even be sooner. :D I'm so glad things are coming along for Eddie. :) ;)

Laura's Babies
06-06-2005, 01:47 PM
OK, I wrote that in my book Jan! That would set a world record if he did get out that soon.. When he leaves ICU he has to go to stepdown and we have no clue how long he will be there.... THEN, to rehab to get him back on his feet... but He already HAS set records already so................:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Oh my goodness, Laura, what wonderful wonderful news!
<happy tears> :)

Logan
06-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Laura, I can't tell you how happy I am to read this news!!! What a miracle boy you raised! :) :)

Hugs to all of you.

Logan

momcat
06-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Hi Laura!

Eddie and all of you who care for him and about him are STILL very much in my prayers and thoughts. And none of you will be off that list anytime soon. What's the latest word on Eddie's recovery? Is there anything he needs? How about the rest of you? If there's anything at all and I can get it, it's yours!

How are you doing today, Eddie? I sure hope you're feeling much better today yet not as good as you're going to feel tomorrow. You remain in my thoughts and prayers. Bless you.....

rg_girlca
06-08-2005, 06:06 PM
This is such wonderful news Laura. I am so happy for everyone.

Prayers still on the way for your beloved son, Eddie.

((((((HUGS)))))) for you and your family.

Logan
06-08-2005, 07:14 PM
I hope the past couple of days have continued to be good ones, Laura. :)

QueenScoopalot
06-14-2005, 07:18 AM
Laura, How's Eddie doing this week? Hope he's still making great strides recovering. ;) Hope you're holding up well too. :)

Laura's Babies
06-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Did you read my mind QSL?? Or did I mention somewhere that I was coming home on the 15th? I left Norfolk this morning and Rie picked me up in New Orleans this afternoon and I am HOME!!

I hated leaving..... Let me get to a update. Eddie has been really out of it and we thought he was being kept sedated. I told Regina day before yesterday that I wanted us to talk to a doctor before I left... I did not like what I was seeing, he seemed out of it all the time, weak, getting thinner and thinner and non responsive and all the nurses would tell us is that he was doing "Great!"... I could clearly see he was not "Great!"...

He had been having difficulties breathing after they took the breathing tube out and they put in a trake and at first, he was coughing up a enormous amount of gunk... then he stopped coughing and you could hear it choaking him and him fighting to breathe. So, they hooked the resperator up to the trake and I was not comfortable leaving without knowing what was going on. why is all this mucus there, what are they doing for it and why he is still so out of it...

His lungs were damaged in the fire and that is the reason for all the mucus. They put him on a scheduled cleaning out of his airways to keep that clear and since they started doing that, he is breathing so much easier and he is breathing ahead of the resperator so they were going to try to wean him back off of it again...

As for the sedation.. He has not had any... The reason he has been so out of it and unresponsive is his kidneys. The pain medicines he is on has side effects... There are only 2 pain meds for his amount of pain.. One the liver can't handle, the other the kidneys can't (long term).. He is putting out the right amount of urine, but the things in it at off. They have had to make some adjustments to his feedings and one of the things is in the amount of calories he is getting, they had to cut that back and give him a new mix of more of this and less of that. The build up of this stuff in his body effects the brain and that is why he has been so out of it and unresponsive.

He has been on this new mix for 24 hours now and this morning about 6am we went to see him before I went to the airport and there was a remarkable improvement in how he was. (Darn, Now I REALLY didn't want to leave!!!) His eyes followed us around the room and he even tried to wrinkle up his forehead when I told him I was leaving.

He is schedules for surgery tomorrow. They want to go take a look at the rest of him and get one whole side of him ready for his skin replacement Monday.

The doctor assured me that they are monitoring everything hourly and any adjustments needed in his care is adjusted accordingly.

I feel better after talking to his doctor and seeing how he looked this morning or I wouldn't have left and come home. Even with the assurances I got, it was so very hard to leave. Regina's Mom in Atlanta is coming up Sunday so she will not be left alone for long.

OH!! I have GOT to tell you all!! Since I was leaving, Eddies boss set up a meeting with they guys that have been named "Eddies Angels"!! I got to meet, thank, and hug each and every one of the guys that were there and acted so quicky to save Eddies life that day!! You want to know what is so great about them all? They are just ordinary "Joe's".. Just working men like Eddie, your husbands, sons or fathers.. When the meeting was about to wrap up, I announced that I had one rather large request... I wanted to hug EACH and EVERY one of them!! One guy immediately told me "There was no way I was letting you out of here without hugging you rather you wanted it or not!". Regina and their oldest daughter got hugs from them all too and they got hugs from them. (I think Jesse passed on the hugs and just shook hands)

We still need prayers for Eddie, he has a long difficult road ahead and prayers for Eddies Angels too. Some of them are still having a difficult time dealing with what life threw in their path that day. I will tell you what they said in another post in the general section once I have settled in here at home.

sirrahbed
06-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Welcome HOME Laura!!!!

momcat
06-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Welcome home, Laura! Thanks so much for the update on Eddie. It sounds scary and discouraging now but he is getting better even though it may not seem that way. The Doctor's comments sounded positive. Prayers continue to be prayed for Eddie, you, Regina and Rie Rie. For now let the rest of us take over the worrying and praying while you get reaquainted with your little fuzzy buddies. Thinking of you.....

sandragonfly
06-15-2005, 08:01 PM
yikes..gotta go now!

but oughta tell you I read and in case I won't be back tonight --wanted to welcome you home!!

welcome home!!

it's always good to hear your words and see you happy! (getting happy, to be exact) :) been always thinking of you..

hugs!!
..gina :D

Laura's Babies
06-15-2005, 08:39 PM
Regina called me this evening with yet another update. His surgery tomorrow is to put the Epicel on his shoulders, arms and legs. The Epicel is his own skin, grown in a lab somewhere from a few cells they took from one of his unburned areas... they took a piece, sent it off and somehow they grow it.. We were orginally told that the surgery tomorrow was to get him ready for the Epicel and they were to do that Monday...

catnapper
06-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Aw gee Laura, What a great update. I was almost in tears over you meeting his angels. I'm so pleased to hear the strides he's made and to see that you were comfortable enough to come home. Its been a long, tough month for everyone.

Prayers will still come to him, your family, and his angels.

oh, PS:
I don't think anything other than an "ordinary Joe" would have done what they did. Ordinary Joes are the salt of the earth, wonderful people. The ones who think they are above "ordinary" are the ones who would have run for their own lives and left Eddie behind. For that, there's nothing "oirdinary" about them - in fact they are pretty remarkable.

rg_girlca
06-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Well said Kim about the ordinary "Joes". I couldn't agree more with what you said.

Welcome home Laura. It must have been such a rollercoaster ride for you and your family.
I happy to hear that Eddie continues to do reasonably well.
Prayers haven't stopped for him or your family.

Prayers also going out to Eddies Hero's.
Hopefully soon, they will stop having nightmares from this terrible accident.

Corinna
06-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Welcome home and thanks for the updates. What is it with the men in your family . Brandan and Eddie wanting to get up so soon after all that truma to there bodies. (ps how is Brandan doing? my mom and her swim group are praying for both eddie and Brandon. they would like updates)

Laura's Babies
06-16-2005, 08:47 AM
Corinna, I have continued to keep up with Brandon. GET THIS!! Brandon GRADUATED on June 12!!! Can you believe that? From what happened to him in March, he was able to graduate in JUNE!

He still has a lot of doctor visits on a regular basis that he has to keep and the last time I asked, his jaw was still wired together but he is very apperciative of the life he has and is enjoying it. I understand his accident brought him and his Mother even closer and he loves her all the more and constantly lets her know how much he apperciates what she has been through. I have a picture of him that came in his graduation invatation and I will get that scanned and posted for everyone sometime in the next few days.

I am waiting today for word about Eddies surgery today! He goes in at 10am (if they are on time) for the Epicel. To me these are the most important surgeries and mean one less surgery he will have to have. Fingers, toes and all paws crossed for great results like with his torso!!!

QueenScoopalot
06-16-2005, 09:04 AM
Welcome home Laura...hope you have your babies back with you as I know you've missed them something fierce! :( I'm glad that Eddie is doing well, and am praying for Eddie, and Eddie's Angels that things will keep progressing in a positive way. That must have been an emotional meeting for you and The Angels. Glad you got to give each of them a hug and thank them in person. Hopefully Eddie will be walking out of the hospital soon, and be able to thank them all as well. :) When are you going back to work again? If you are going out again soon, I hope there's someway you'll be able to have updates daily on Eddie's progress. ;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-16-2005, 09:50 AM
I agree with Kim - "oridinary Joes" can't be beat! :D How wonderful that you were able to mee them, I can't imagine how emotional it was for you and Regina to meet these guys. I would have been a blubbering idiot and wouldn't have been able to carry on a decent conversation the whole time! ;)

Glad you're home, and aren't you leaving on the boat on the 22nd? Just enough time to get things organized on the home front and then you're off again - what a whirlwind!

So glad to hear Eddie continues to improve. I have no experience with bad burn cases like this, but with anything this severe there are bound to be ups and downs along the way. He has surpassed the doctor's expectations every step of the way so far, so hang tough and he'll be in rehab in no time.

{{{hugs}}} to you. :)

Logan
06-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Laura, every report seems to get better and better. Our prayers continue. :)

Logan

Laura's Babies
06-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Copied from the family web sight on Eddies page, posted today by his wife Regina. She says:

Eddie has just returned from surgery and is settled back into his room. They applied the epicel to both arms from shoulder to wrist and, with what they had left over, part of the front of his right thigh. The rest of the areas that still need the epicel were covered with the dermagraft (I think that's the term). So begins another week of peeping in the window. His heart rate was lower than I've ever seen it hanging at around the mid 50's and I did see it drop into the upper 40's and was alarmed, one of the resp techs told me once that they don't panic until it's 50 or lower but his nurse told me that it was at that level consistently through the surgical proceedure and they continued with it so I guess that the doc's and resp techs didn't panic. His blood pressure was a tad low but didn't appear to be dangerously so. He appears (from the doorway) to be resting comfortably, no alarming bells and whistles going off so I dashed up here to do the update.

Speaking of resting comfortably he's getting a new bed. The one he is currently using has a sand storm type effect going on in the lower part of the mattress (it's an inflated thing) but isn't the one he's supposed to be using, the one originally ordered for him isn't the one that the company sent so a company rep came out today to check it out and the right bed will be arriving soon, something called a Clinitron, reputedly the most comfortable mattress in the world - I'm all for that! It's the bed he has but more, I think the sand storm thing is full coverage so that all of him is kept moving more as a preventative to bedsores and similar complications. Can't wait to see what the new fancier model will do!

Let's keep praying for God to give Eddie strength and awesome recuperative abilities and perhaps a rebuild on his reserves. And always thanks for the blessing that we have Eddie today and the progress that's he's made to date. Glory to God, appreciation for Eddie and thanks for those awesome prayer circles and the careproviders and docs that put so much of themselves into the job.

Signing off for now,

Regina

MY NOTE: That bed Eddie is using right now is a $30,000 to $40,000 bed and that thing is awesome. It keeps inflating and deflating, shifting his body around to move the pressure points so keep him from getting sores. It also VIBRATES which knocks him out as soon as it starts and he immediately wakes up when it stops. I asked him one time if I could crawl up in there with him when it was vibrating and he laughed at me. I am really in awe of him getting a BETTER (?) one?

Freckles
06-18-2005, 08:17 PM
Laura, thank you for no pop-ups on your family home page. Now it's so much easier to check for the latest updates!:)

MULTICATMOM
06-18-2005, 10:53 PM
HEY, I'M BACK... IT SOUNDS GOOD. WHAT'S EPICEL?:confused: ARE YOU STILL IN VA?

CONTINUED PRAYERS FOR THE ENTIRE FAMILY!!
IT'S AWESOME THAT BRANDON GOT TO WALK WITH HIS CLASS:D :D WHAT A GREAT MEMORY TO HAVE!!

Laura's Babies
06-19-2005, 12:23 AM
MCM, THEY TOOK A SAMPLE OF HIS SKIN CELLS AND SENT IT OFF TO GROW HIM HIS OWN SKIN...IT TAKES 2 TO 6 WEEKS TO GROW IT IN A LAB (IN MARYLAND I THINK THEY SAID). THEY CAN NOT USE LIVE DONAR SKIN ONLY SKIN FROM THE DECEASED OR HIS BODY WOULD REJECT IT. CADAVER SKIN HAS EVERYTHING REMOVED FROM IT AND IT IS ONLY USED AS A COVERING UNTIL THE EPICEL IS READY. (THANK GOD FOR PEOPLE WHO DONATE AND MAY GOD BELSS THEIR SOULS)!!!

I AM HOME NOW, GOT BACK WEDNESDAY BUT AM LEAVING FOR WORK THIS NEXT WEDNESDAY. I WILL GO BACK TO NORFOLK WHEN I GET OFF BUT I MAY GET TO COME HOME BEFORE I GO... THAT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW EDDIE IS DOING AND IF REGINA NEEDS ME ASAP OR WHAT. I AM LIVING OUT OF SUITCASES NOW DAYS.. I CAME HOME TO GET MY WORK STUFF TOGETHER, TAKE CARE OF A FEW THINGS AND GET NEW GLASSES BEFORE I TAKE OFF. I NEED TO SEE A DENTIST BUT JUST DON'T HAVE TIME....