PDA

View Full Version : Look who's home!

Uabassoon
05-04-2005, 08:42 PM
That's right we finally brought him home! He's being such a good boy so far. However I think the painkillers from his sirjury are playing a big part in his good behavior! He seems to be doing well, we've taken him outside twice to see if he had to go potty. We even ran into a kitty when we were outside! He didn't even blink! He looked at the cat then just kept on walking. What a good boy! He still hasn't met the kitties, we are going to wait a few days. But he saw the rats in their cage and didn't seem intersted in them at all!

According to his records he weighs just under 20 lbs, but he needs to put on some weight, he looks underweight. He has an appointment with the vet for a checkup on Saturday. What should we ask? Someone mentioned asking the vet about a heartworm preventative and a flea and tick repelant. Can you all suggest good brands and which ones are bad. Anything else to ask the vet about?

Now for the good things :)

We "think" we might call him Dewey. We aren't totally sure as we want to get to know him a little better before deciding for sure. And.... the pictures!

This was outside the humane society, Alexa was saying hello and good bye because after we picked him up she had to go to work :(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/lickitung/IMG_24721.jpg

He was happy to get into my truck.

Can we go home now!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/lickitung/IMG_24731.jpg

After exploring he took a nap in my lap!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/lickitung/IMG_24791.jpg

Sorry about the evil eyes!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/lickitung/IMG_24891.jpg

Look how skinny he is :(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/lickitung/IMG_24901.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/lickitung/IMG_24911.jpg

I hope you enjoyed "meeting" Dewey!

LKPike
05-04-2005, 08:47 PM
even though hes kinda thin, thats the cutest "mix" I've ever seen lol any guess to what mixed with the dachsund?

Edit - He looks like a Dewey :) I think thats a great name for him!

Kfamr
05-04-2005, 08:50 PM
OMG LAURA!! He is absolutely adorable!!!
Kiara says he syre is a looker. ;)

As for Vet stuff..
I'd ask what weight he 'should' be at. The vet should know approx. how much weight he should gain and what a healthy level for him to be at.

We use Heartguard on our dogs for heartworm, so far so good.

As far as fleas and ticks - we us the natural rememdy.
We bought Tea Tree oil and put it in their shampoo. They get baths weekly... and the tea tree oil works completely fine as long as you have no fleas in the yard or house to begin with. It's a lot less expensive then the chemical stuff, and it's completely natural.

Oh gosh he's so adorable. We need more pictures!

dukedogsmom
05-04-2005, 08:51 PM
He is so cute. You'll get him fattened up in no time. I still can't believe you got a dog! Woo hoo!

Ginger's Mom
05-04-2005, 08:53 PM
He really is sweet. Yeah he does look thin, but now that he has a happy home I am sure that will change. He really is cute. After reading your posts about him and your questions, I cannot help but smile. Lucky little boy he sure is going to have a good home. (I sure hope the kitties don't mind.)

Cookiebaker
05-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Welcome Home, Dewey!! You are so adorable. :D Congratulations on your new pupper! he certainly couldn't have found a better home. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
05-04-2005, 09:15 PM
He is soooo cute!! I love the name Dewey. We use heartguard for our dogs too.

As for the flea and tick treatment we use frontline. It works great! I too use a tree tea oil shampoo. We have a major tick problem here and have to keep them on frontline.

jenfer
05-04-2005, 09:15 PM
He is so cute. And he has long legs too. :) More pictures!! And say hi for me and Gigi. :)

cali
05-04-2005, 10:00 PM
lol I saw the top picture and thought "thats not thin, looks exactly like Happy" lol then I saw the side picture, yup definatly need to gain a few pound, just make sure he does not gain too much he appears to have a very narrow frame and slender legs so I doubt he would be able to properly support to much extra weight lol just judge by his ribs not by his waistline as he appears to have the same typ of build as Happy, so the waist should always be very prominent just make sure the rubs are not lol he is so cute! good luck with him!

ParNone
05-04-2005, 10:12 PM
WhattaCutie! He looks like a miniature Dobie. Congrats Uabassoon!

Par...

aly
05-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Awww, you weren't kidding about his long legs :) :) Its a Doxie on stilts! Hehe, how CUUUUUTE! I think Dewey is an adorable name!

I'd ask the vet to look at his teeth and give you an opinion on his age (just to see if it is consistent with what the Humane Society told you - never hurts to get two opinions). Not that it really matters, but it might be helpful to know.

Frontline seems to be the best flea/tick prevention. I wish I could use a natural remedy like Kay, but the flea and tick problem is so bad here in Texas that my dogs would probably pick up fleas the second they went off Frontline. I'm not sure how bad the problem is in Arizona though. If he's going to be basically indoors except on walks, your vet might suggest Sentinel. That takes care of fleas AND is heartworm prevention (as well as hookworm and roundworm). I used to use Sentinel on my dogs, but since we go to the dog parks a lot, my vet suggested we switch to a combination of Frontline and Interceptor (for heartworm).

Just stay away from over-the-counter flea and heartworm stuff. It's all either really bad or doesn't work.... or both.

anna_66
05-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Well isn't he a cutie pie...I see why he just had to come home with you!
Looks like he does need a little fattening up, but I'm sure you'll have that done in no time;)
Welcome Home Dewey!!!

kimlovescats
05-04-2005, 10:52 PM
How cute, Laura! What kind of doggie is he? I swear he looks like a long-legged Dachshund!!!:eek: :D CONGRATULATIONS!;)

Tollers-n-Dobes
05-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Congrats! He's adorable:D I absolutely love his face! Wonder where he got those long legs from....

Bigyummydog
05-04-2005, 10:56 PM
welcome home DEWEY ! :D :D he is adorable...:p

Vette
05-04-2005, 11:16 PM
I can see why you feel for him. :D
what a doll!

bckrazy
05-04-2005, 11:20 PM
:D OMG!! he's SO precious! his little face is just adorable, he looks tired and relieved! Dewey is a perfect name for him. . he's so lucky to have found you both! he does look thin, but he'll put on weight in no time with all the spoiling he will be getting ^_~! I'm sooo happy for your family, he seems like the perfect dog for you.

Heartguard is good too. . we use Receptor, and Frontline. I've never seen a single flea or tick on Gonzo in his life. I'm sure the natural remedy would work well too, he probably won't be spending a lot of time in tall grass and outside?

gemini9961
05-04-2005, 11:47 PM
He's great, he looks like a Dewey. Welcome home Dewey!!

NoahsMommy
05-04-2005, 11:48 PM
Welcome home, little guy!!! :)

He's soooo precious, Laura! I love him!!!!

Can't wait to see how he likes the cats and his new home.

Hugs, Kelly :)

lute
05-05-2005, 12:06 AM
WELCOME DEWEY!!!:D

he is super cute!:D

Uabassoon
05-05-2005, 01:14 AM
Thank for the advice and all the wonderful comments. I'll try to get some better pictures soon, I had a hard time because he was so squirmy and I really didn't want to bother him too much right now.

Uabassoon
05-05-2005, 01:16 AM
For those who asked he is a Dachshund mix, we have no idea what he is mixed with! The people at the shelter really didn't have a clue either!

tikeyas_mom
05-05-2005, 01:20 AM
congrats !!!
he is so cute!!!
he will be very happy with you!!
what a doll!!

is he a dobie/doxie mix??

whatever he is, he is special...
i love his big ears lol
i also love the name Dewey.

Uabassoon
05-05-2005, 02:16 AM
Alexa just took this picture and I wanted to share it because I think it's cute.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/grybai/IM002539.jpg

luckies4me
05-05-2005, 02:42 AM
What a cutie!!! :D I love his look.

Oggyflute
05-05-2005, 03:40 AM
He's a real cutie mate, and he's going to be just fine. All he needed was a loving home and you've certainly given him that.:)

I like the name Dewey.:)

cloverfdx
05-05-2005, 08:11 AM
OMG Dewey is adorable :D. Congratulations once again, heres to many happy years together.

robinh
05-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Oooooohhhh! He's adorable! Welcome Home Dewey! You picked good - life there will be a blast. Long and happy life to all of you.
:D

Jods
05-05-2005, 08:18 AM
Welcome home!!! He looks like a quiet dog, could be because of his meds though. What a cutie!!

lizbud
05-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Home at last.:D He is a cutie for sure. I hope he checks out
fine at the Vets. I love the long legs & that sweet face.:) Welcome
home Dewey. (I kinda liked Spike for a name) :)

p.s. Edited to say I use Hartgard & Advantage for my pups. The
Kitties use Advantage also. It works great for us.

caseysmom
05-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Oh my gosh he is a doll! Congratulations and we'll be enjoying you on the dog side!

LoudLou
05-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Congratulations Dewey!

Congratulations Alexa & Laura!

What a bee-yoo-tee-full new addition to the family!

Albea
05-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Welcome to PT, Dewey! You are a sweetheart and with the loving care your mommy will give you, I'm sure you'll gain weight in no time.
I have used monthly Heartgard for heartworm and Frontline against fleas and ticks for years, they both have worked well. The vet will want to do a heartworm test before giving you the medication just to make sure it will be safe.

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Laura, congrats on your new addition! Dewey sure is a sweet looking pup! I love the doxie face and long legs! More pictures, please?

Edit: Just saw the one of you and Dewey. Haven't seen your pictures in a long time. You look great, BTW!

wolflady
05-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Yay! Welcome home Dewey! I just LOVE Dachshund mixes! ;) Of course, I'm biased...:p My Priya thinks he's one hot tamale! :D

I love his coloring and his coat looks so shiny! I feed Priya Royal Canin Mini and her black coat is very lusterous.

As far as the vet visit, questions to ask and meds, etc...the advice given so far is good.

Priya is pretty much an indoor dog, but I have her on Advantage. My vet said I didn't need to put her on heartworm, because it's not prevalent here unless I go to the mountains...which I haven't done yet...but Interceptor and Heartguard are both good heartworm preventatives.

Frontline and Advantage both treat fleas, but if you want tick treatment as well, go with Advantix - it's more expensive, but treats fleas, ticks and mosquitos!

Good luck with your new doggie family member and let us know how he adjusts to his kitty siblings! :)

**hugs**

Hi Dewey! Welcome home! Woof!
*Priya
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/mariussmom/PriyaPet.jpg

luvofallhorses
05-05-2005, 05:38 PM
OMG :eek: he's adorable congratulations and welcome to PT Dewey :D

RobiLee
05-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Ohhh, he is such a cutie! That pic of you two together is adorable. I am so happy for you guys and I know Dewey has found a great home. I'm so glad you will be joining us on the dog side :D . I just can't wait to see more pics of you new boy!

Robin :)

Chica
05-05-2005, 06:14 PM
WELCOME DEWEY!! YOU ARE THE CUTEST BOY!:) WE ARE HAPPY FOR YOU.:D

Kfamr
05-05-2005, 06:43 PM
I love that picture of you and Dewey. Gosh, you're gorgeous.

Tiah
05-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Aww he's so adorable!!
He looks to me like maybe a doxie/rat terrier or so mix? Who knows!

Cincy'sMom
05-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Welcome home, Dewey!! What a handsome boy you are!!

K9karen
05-06-2005, 12:17 AM
Sounds to me like you should call him...Dewey! ;) ;) He's adorable and handsome! He'll be so happy and comfortable, he'll fatten up in no time! The feeling of bringing home an adopted dog for the first time is so memorable and joyous! They know it's forever too! Lots of hugs and Congratulations to everyone!

bckrazy
05-06-2005, 12:27 AM
aww :D Dewey loves his mommy!

wolf_Q
05-06-2005, 12:32 AM
AWWWWW what a CUTE little guy! I love his face and those black and tan markings are irresistable. I think the name Dewey is really cute. Congrats on the new addition!! :D

Dixieland Dancer
05-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Congratulations on finding a GREAT forever home, Dewey! All your friends on Pet Talk can't wait to get to know you through your mom's posts! :D

Christiansmommy
05-06-2005, 08:27 AM
He is adorable!! You must be having so much fun!! :)

I also used Frontline on Dale and we used Interceptor for the heart worm pills, b/c it also kills whipworm. If he has a yard of his own then Heartguard would probably be fine, but if he is going to be at a lot of dog parks, and places where there are other dog's fecal matter ( sorry) :rolleyes: ;), then i would use interceptor, b/c he could get whipworm from stepping in poop, or (eating) it, soory again ;) Dale had whipworm before we put him on Interceptor (Heartguard doesnt't have a preventative in it for whipworm) and it was no fun for me or for poor Dale...

BTW~ Interceptor is more of a hard vitamin (Dale wouldn't chew it, so I had to show it down his throat every month, but Heartguard is chewy, so he ate that right up)...anyway, i am sure your vet will lean you towards which one you should use...

Anyway, lots of luck with him, he is a doll!!

Robyn

Uabassoon
05-06-2005, 10:15 PM
I'm own of town right now so it's just Alexa caring for Dewey until Monday. She says he is doing well. No accidents in the house at all! She said he already killed his stuffy and he loves his kong and playing fetch. He's doing well with the crate, he doesn't really like going in it. She says he'll go to the other end of the room when she tells him to go in. But once he's in for the night she said he'll whine for just a few minutes then go to bed. He's such a good boy!

ChrisH
05-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Aw, what an adorable boy and such a good one too. :D

rizzy
05-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Congradulations on the new addition! Dewey is a perfect name for him, he is such a cutie!:D I cant wait to hear more about him!:)

NoahsMommy
05-07-2005, 02:36 PM
He sounds like he's a very good boy!! I'm so glad he's working out so well.

Can't wait for more pictures!! :)

Jadapit
05-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Congrats, to you two on the new addition!:D Dewey is a real cutie. It sounds like he is going to be a really good dog.