PDA

View Full Version : Swimming

C.C.'s Mom
01-24-2002, 08:45 AM
Now that the snow melted and the water is free of ice again, Cookie and some dogs are of course THRILLED! Especially Cookie makes them all laugh because she's Top Diver, which means she collects garbage from the bottom of the river and brings it to us. She also likes to retrieve sticks that I throw in it, retrieve the other dogs (very funny) and splash water all over us when she comes out of the stinky water. It's so much fun to be a Golden Retriever! Every day brings something new for her.

Does your dog like to swim too?

jennifert
01-24-2002, 02:24 PM
That's so cute...Goldens are such happy dogs!!! My roommate has a golden and every time we go to the dog park, which is next to the lake, he just stares through the fence at the water! When I first brought Duncan home, we took the dogs to her parent's camp to go swimming. I just assumed that all dogs were born knowing how to swim...BOY was I wrong!!! Jack went leaping off the dock into the water and Duncan went right after him! Then he started sinking!! His big front feet were just splashing the water and he wasn't moving his backlegs at all!!!! I had to pull him out with the help of a few strong men!!! Poor thing!! He would not stay out of the water though if Jack went in but he started wading in rather than leaping off the dock!! A few times, he would go out too far and he would catch a ride on Jacks' back to shore! I'm happy to say though that after a few days practice, he is now an excellent swimmer! He can even climb ladders out of the water!! BUT he won't jump off the dock! Well, that's not true...we tried to go out in the boat w/o them and they both jumped off and started swimming to the boat. We had to turn around and come home!! It was so sweet though!:) Too cold to swim here now but in the spring we'll be back out there. It's the quickest way I 've learned to tire out a dog and a tired dog is a happy dog!!:D

evelyn1157
02-06-2002, 10:20 PM
i thought all dogs were born knowing how to swim too. i wonder if zoey knows how. too bad there's no place here where i can take her swimming:(

jennifert
02-07-2002, 11:18 AM
Zoey is a shih-tzu right? I had one that could swim but hated it! And a friend of mine had a shih-tzu puppy that walked off the deckinto their swimming pool and immediately sunk directly to the bottom! She had to jump in and save the poor little girl!!
So if you take her, be careful!!

C.C.'s Mom
02-08-2002, 02:39 AM
Same happened to my friends dog who has a curly coat. He soakes up so much water that he can't swim (he looks like a sheep) and thus we have to be very careful with him.

evelyn1157
02-09-2002, 09:09 PM
yup zoey is a shih tzu.but i don't have to worry about her sinking coz there isn't any beaches or swimming pool where i can take her to :(

cinnabunny19
02-10-2002, 07:26 PM
Breezy LOVES to swim! :D its her favorite thing, next to playing in the snow! Whenever we say "breezers, lets go for a boat ride?" she will run to the door and wag her tail. And once we are on our way to the boat, she will run into the lake every chance she gets! :rolleyes: She is such a goofball :p On really hot days, she will go into the lake, and just lay down in the shallow water and wade. She seems to like to try and catch weeds in the lake and chew on them:eek: :rolleyes: She really likes to chase fish too! its very cute!

cinnabunny19
02-10-2002, 07:28 PM
I think that is so adorable! Your dog sounds like such a cutie! Goldens are always so much fun! :)

Hbrika
02-26-2002, 09:59 AM
On Gully's first trip to the river she ran in and started swimming on her own.

She was so graceful with her big duck feet (She is a yellow lab) doing turns and rolls.

I threw a stick into the water and she ran back with this big tree.

I have no idea what happened there :)

They get really tired and happy.

Just as a note once they get tired they may not want to go back in for awhile, this is normal and don't worry about it.

C.C.'s Mom
02-27-2002, 04:39 AM
It's true, they are so tired after a good swim. Cookie sleeps for about 6 hours after she's been swimming.
She's the clown of the lake once again, simply swimming back and forth, diving, bringing sticks and garbage to me.

It's so nice to see all our dogs in the water in the morning, about 20 large dogs jumping and swimming, having fun as much as they can.

It's also important to know when your dog is getting tired. A friend got a stick for his dog and she jump into the water to get it. She didn't have enough strength to swim back and he had to go into the very cold water to rescue his dog.

puppylove11
03-06-2002, 06:35 PM
hey everyone, only my 2nd time posting, but I like it a lot. anyway, my dog sandy, a yellow lab,(you can read about her in dog breeds----what's your dog's name---pg.7, from puppylove11, she's so sweet, i encourage you to read about her) anyway, she loves swimming, we dont have a pool at our house but she's always wandering to other houses and going swimming. She thinks this one house we ALWAYS go to, she thinks it's a resort, it's got a pool, tennis court, and lounges(she loves laying on those), she is a swimmer, I think every lab is, theyre all so sweet, sandy loves swimming, anybody else's dog like swimming as much as sandy?:cool: :D :cool:

puppylove11
03-12-2002, 11:17 PM
Hi everyone, does anyone know how you get pics of your pet onto the message or where it says your name, thanks ;) :cool: :D :p

puppylove11
04-07-2002, 10:46 AM
Hey everyone, PLEASE reply to my message, Ive been waiting almost a MONTH!!!! :eek: reply w/ ANYTHING

Randi
04-07-2002, 11:19 AM
puppylove11!

Try and look for the threads called Putting pics in or something similar, there are a few of them. Do a Search!

Good luck! ;)

labloverforever
04-07-2002, 11:37 AM
randi!!!!!!!!
hi, but as you can see she already got a pic on there, I think she just wanted someone to reply about sandy, right puppylove or no???

*LabLoverKEB*
04-07-2002, 02:56 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk, LabLoverForever! I'm sure you'll love it here!:) ;)

I'm a Lab Lover, too! I have a Black Lab, anmed Sadie!

Again, welcome!
Sarah & Sadie

sammi
04-07-2002, 07:10 PM
Hi! I have a yellow lab mix (Buddy) who is about 2 yrs. old and a male. I love labs! They are usually good natured.
Buddy has a kiddie pool he uses in the summer and seems to like that. He has only been to the lake once and he had fun thats for sure! It is very wet and muddy here and Buddy is about 4 different colors today!
My last 2 dogs were labs also a yellow mix girl and a black mix male who have both since died of illness.
I hope you like it here and I will check out your picture of your pup.:cool:

tatsxxx11
04-23-2002, 05:00 PM
Hi LabLoverForever! Sorry I missed you!! I have a yellow Lab named Star. She's 3 and loves to swim!! Tell us more about Sandy! Post some pics. if you can:)

Cincy'sMom
04-23-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
Hi LabLoverForever! Sorry I missed you!! I have a yellow Lab named Star. She's 3 and loves to swim!! Tell us more about Sandy! Post some pics. if you can:)

I missed it too!!! I have to black lab mixes and they love the water! Welcome to Pet talk!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid18/p125eba2487cc78eb437b5ba622c47fe1/fdcb6375.jpg

lovemymaltese
04-25-2002, 10:48 AM
My maltese hates to get wet period. This winter in Georgia we had one day of light snow. Tango would not even go outside to use the restroom. I finally had to carry him out and place him on the ground. He stood there with one paw up, it was too funny. He can swim though, that's a pretty funny site too!:)

labloverforever
05-18-2002, 07:04 PM
well, I dont know anything about sandy, she's puppylove's, puppylove11, tell us about sandy, thanx:)

puppylove11
05-18-2002, 07:14 PM
Hi all, puppylove11 here, and Like u asked, Ill tell you about my special puppy sandy, I already told u a little bit but here goes, she's 5 and is always happy, she can make u smile when no one else can, thats what is so special about her. she loves getting her tummy rubbed. here are some pics on her, let me know if u have any questions, thanks:D

puppylove11
05-18-2002, 07:16 PM
another 1 for u guys

puppylove11
05-18-2002, 07:16 PM
last 1, for now of course

puppylove11
05-18-2002, 07:19 PM
thats so weird those are all the same pic. but thats okay, heres another

puppylove11
05-18-2002, 07:20 PM
sorry those are all the same pic, heres another

puppylove11
05-18-2002, 07:22 PM
that one I just put isnt sandy but I think its a cute yellow lab but heres another one of sandy

puppylove11
05-18-2002, 07:23 PM
hope u guys like em all, thank you for looking through them, and sry for my comp. difficulties, but isnt she cute, I'll send more later, bye

tatsxxx11
05-18-2002, 08:58 PM
Sandy is so precious!!!! You sure do you love your baby, and I can see why! Sounds like you are a super duper Labbie Mom! Hope to see more pics of your special girl! My Lab Star says hi to Sandy! (My name too!:))

sammi
05-20-2002, 07:41 PM
Sandy is a sweetheart!!!!!

puppylove11
05-20-2002, 08:19 PM
thanks everybody!! all your dogs are SO cute too!!!!;)

ChewmonkeyBC
05-27-2002, 04:37 PM
Hey,
My Border Collie Chewy loves to swim too...when we whent to the lake there where kids there dining in and all the tim ethe kids would dive in Chewy would go in after them to "save them"...it was soo cute...well i g2g t2e1l:)