PDA

View Full Version : The Phantom of the Opera

slleipnir
05-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Has anyone seen this movie? It just came out here today on DVD/VSH, and I went right out and rented it lol. My friends all say I'm a loser, but I've always loved the play (although I never saw it, I just read about it, and my dad bought me the music CD when I was a kid, along with a book of it)

I have to say, I really liked the movie. Anyone else like it? (Or am I a freak like my friends say lol)

Chica
05-03-2005, 09:40 PM
I LOVED THE MOVIE. IT WAS EASY TO FOLLOW THE STORY COMPARED TO THE PLAY. :) I ALSO LOVE THE LOVE STORY BETWEEN THE THREE PEOPLE. THE TWO MEN REALLY LOVED THE SINGER.:) EVEN AFTER SHE DIED THEY BOTH STILL LOVED HER.:D THE MUSIC WAS FANTASTIC.;)

Nomilynn
05-03-2005, 11:33 PM
I loved the play, hated the movie. I actually ended up leaving halfway through and I didn't even pay to get in (I work at the theatre) :o

elizabethann
05-04-2005, 10:03 AM
I saw the play twice and cried through it (I've NEVER cried watching a play before). I also saw the movie and cried through that. I thought they were both excellent.

You're not a loser - you just have excellent taste!

sirrahbed
05-04-2005, 02:02 PM
I have seen the real traveling opera and the music was lovely and the set was amzingly fabulous!!!..... but I had trouble following the story line...so we will rent the DVD to watch the movie- I am looking forward to it:)

LKPike
05-04-2005, 03:29 PM
hmmm I havent seen the play or the movie, but in general I like original plays better than the movie remakes :p

flamepony12
05-04-2005, 09:20 PM
I haven't seen the play, but I love the movie! :) My brother is watching it as I type! :rolleyes: I love how "theatrical" it is.

PS- The guy who plays "The Phantom"/Erik is the same guy who played Dracula in the movie Dracula... for those of you who have seen it. :p (Gerard Butler) And the girl who plays "Christine" (Emmy Rossum), is only 17! :eek:

sammy101
05-04-2005, 09:46 PM
i heard it was bad,but i might see it still:)

elizabethann
05-05-2005, 07:55 AM
I think the guy who plays the Phantom is HOT!!!!

Heeheeheehee.

:D

mina'smomma
05-05-2005, 10:06 AM
I loved the movie so much that My fiance got up at 6:30 a.m. when our Wal-Mart opens and bought the first copy they put on the shelf. Of coarse I didn't get it until after I got home from work.:D I've watched it twice now.

CathyBogart
05-05-2005, 10:44 AM
I went and saw the movie and thought it was excellent. I wish the girl who played Christine had more expression though, she looks kind of daxed and slack-jawed throughout the movie.

I've seen the play twice and LOVE IT. :)

vinjashira
05-07-2005, 11:45 AM
I've seen the actual performance in London several years ago and the film early this year and I must say I love them both. :)

slleipnir
05-07-2005, 12:26 PM
I went out and bought it too. I love it.

Isn't the movie and play very similar?

Also, in the movie, is that their actual voices? I don't see why not, but I never realized that girl could sing lol

flamepony12
05-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
I wish the girl who played Christine had more expression though, she looks kind of daxed and slack-jawed throughout the movie.

I agree :p

mina'smomma- we got the movie the first day it came out, too, just not the first copy on the shelf ;)

Audrey, Everybody uses their own singing voices in the movie, except Minnie Driver. But, Minnie Driver sings the song played in the credits, "Learn to Be Lonely". Minnie Driver played La Carlotta, the one with the poodles. hehe! The strange thing is, Gerard Butler (The Phantom) Talks with a very french accent, yet sings completely normally. :p

Isn't it amazing how high that 17 year old, Emmy Rossum, (who played Christine) can sing?

lol, elizabethann!! Gerard Butler looks different when he doesn't have a mask on, or lumpy red makeup... hehe ;) -see attachement- But, you can definitely recognize the face.

slleipnir
05-07-2005, 02:20 PM
That's neat. :D

Yeah, I looked for photos of them all -normally- after I saw it XD

elizabethann
05-09-2005, 07:41 AM
I went to buy the movie at Border's this weekend and it was sold old.

finn's mom
05-09-2005, 07:51 AM
I love the play. I liked the movie a lot. But, Emmy was the only one I felt looked like she was lip syncing. Overall, though, I really enjoyed the movie. My mother loved it, though, so, I'm sure she'll get it. :) I saw it at the theater with her, and, will watch it again as many times as she wants.

sirrahbed
05-13-2005, 07:42 PM
OH!!! I just finished watching it and loved it - must get the Soundtrack!!

I wrote earlier that I had gone to the real traveling opera - and even though that set was fabulous and the singers pros (and tickets a fortune I think at $60 each) ....THIS time - I liked the movie best!!

Like Finn's mom said though - it really did seem like the actress who played Christine was lip syncing and not very well:rolleyes:

I did not recognize Minnie Driver:D :p :D

slleipnir
05-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Can anyone tell me about the play? is it the same as the movie? I have a CD from a play I guess?? It had Rebecca Caine and Colm Willkinson as Christine and the Phantom. I'm absolutely in love with Colm Willkinson's voice. I think he fits the role perfectly. I can upload one of the songs if anyone wants to hear (any prefs? :rolleyes: )

flamepony12
05-13-2005, 09:30 PM
I'd like to hear a clip of one of the songs, if it's not too much work.. :)

sirrahbed
05-14-2005, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by slleipnir
Can anyone tell me about the play? is it the same as the movie? I have a CD from a play I guess?? It had Rebecca Caine and Colm Willkinson as Christine and the Phantom. I'm absolutely in love with Colm Willkinson's voice. I think he fits the role perfectly. I can upload one of the songs if anyone wants to hear (any prefs? :rolleyes: )

Well, it is not really a play - it is an opera. An opera within an opera :) The CD you have would be an opera and the movie has many of the songs but also drama, acting, talking, etc. The movie is more like a play I guess. It also has a soundtrack. It also sounds like you have the original production CD if Colm Wilkinson was singing Phantom (he created that role and also the original lead in Les Miserables.)
He's wonderful isn't he? :D

Cincy'sMom
05-14-2005, 09:54 AM
I havento yet seenthemovie, but I saw the opera twice...once in Columbus (ohio) and once in Toronto, with Paul Stanley (KISS) playing the phantom. Both were good, but the show in Toronto was amazing!! We werte in the 3rd row, and wow!!!

sirrahbed
05-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
I havento yet seenthemovie, but I saw the opera twice...once in Columbus (ohio) and once in Toronto, with Paul Stanley (KISS) playing the phantom. Both were good, but the show in Toronto was amazing!! We werte in the 3rd row, and wow!!!

Cool! How did the sets compare between the USA and Canadian tour?? Were they the same or different? I have only seen the 2004 USA here in Dayton and the set - OMEGOSH!!! - I went on a tour of the new fine arts center that had just opened - and where Phantom showed for about 3 weeks or so - and got the explanation about how the set takes up 40 semis to haul!! We got to peek in at it in the empty theater but no pictures allowed - also special insurance taken out and they actually had to redesign the stage area just for the tour. Incredible!! When the chandelier scene happens - W:eek:W!!

So - can you compare the two tours?? I would love to know.:)

slleipnir
05-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Point of No Return...hope this will work :rolleyes:

http://tainted-sky.net/music/Track16.mp3

slleipnir
05-20-2005, 10:24 AM
did the link work?

elizabethann
05-20-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm so excited! I bought the CD last week and today I'm going to buy the DVD at Borders. I can't wait to watch it over and over again.

Heeheehee.