PDA

View Full Version : Turning rings back to normal?

buckner
05-03-2005, 06:31 PM
I officially feel really stupid. I don't know why I didn't think about it before hand, but it's apparently too late.

Earlier, I was cleaning the nasty "presents" off the walls from the rats with Fantastik. I was being stupid, and didn't take off any of my rings. The Fantastik acted like a bleach on my rings, and the shiny silver looking part on one of my sterling silver rings was stripped off. It's like a dark gray looking colour, and definitely not shiny. It's not very attractive.. it doesn't even look like peuter (sp?).

Because I only wear one on my right hand, I got lucky and not all three are like this.. however, one being like this still sucks. Does anyone know of any ways to get my ring back to looking normal, or am I out of luck? :( All my rings are very special, and I've only had this one for about 2 months. My parents got it out in Las Vegas and they paid extra money to have the guy "carve" my name into the band.. it looks really neat. I really hope there's a way to get it fixed. Any "cleaners" to do this? I know there are liquids you can put your GOLD rings in to get them looking gold and shiny again, but is there anything for silver?

Thanks for any help in advance!

RedHedd
05-03-2005, 06:37 PM
If it's pure silver, any silver polish will do. Just check out the cleaning supplies aisle at your local grocery or hardware stores.

kittycats_delight
05-03-2005, 06:41 PM
that happened to a bracelet I have I used Silvo I think it is called it's like a silver polish but you soak the jewelry for a little while and then wipe it off...it took a lot of soakings and a lot of wipings but it is back to normal. Good Luck

Suki Wingy
05-03-2005, 09:57 PM
oh, all I can say is sorry and I hope you can fix them! I wouldn't know because I hate to wear jewlery, it just annoys me to feel it on my skin, but
good luck getting them fixed!

LorraineO
05-04-2005, 01:10 PM
it sounds like your rings might be silver plated,,, if thats the case,,, I think they are ruined :(

Cataholic
05-04-2005, 01:13 PM
doesn't toothpaste clean something (besides teeth, that is).....

buckner
05-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by LorraineO
it sounds like your rings might be silver plated,,, if thats the case,,, I think they are ruined :( No, they're pure sterling silver. It's just discoloured. I'm trying to scratch off the discolouration and the shiny silver part is slowly but surely coming back in. However, if I sit here and scratch it, it'll take SEVERAL hours, like 10 hours, and I don't have that kind of time. Still trying to find something that'll work on silver.. ugggh.

LorraineO
05-04-2005, 04:30 PM
theres a cleaner called GODDARDS ,,,, its liquid,, you just dip it in and presto!!!! Clean as a whistle!!

Edwina's Secretary
05-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Tarnax....it is a liquid and in the gorcery store.