PDA

View Full Version : Blinds in windows - what to do??

cruisetime
05-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Of course my cats have distroyed my regular mini blinds - what options are there for cats that they can't destoy???? HELP! debbie

Lacey
05-03-2005, 09:14 AM
I have this problem too. I generally just leave the blinds open about a foot or so, which lets the kitties get to lay in front of the windows without going through the blinds. And then I tie the cord up out of reach.

That seemed to work just fine - at least until I came in from work one day and found the ends of a couple of slats chewed to bits. Other than that, though, no problems. :D

Craftlady
05-03-2005, 09:16 AM
I take apart an old blind and replace the ruined slats on the new one. I just thread them through and they seem to work pretty good. Also, furniture placement is key also to protecting mini blinds.

sirrahbed
05-03-2005, 09:22 AM
I am with Becky and replace broken ones with some from way down low. You just pry of the caps at the bottom and rethread - redo it like before.

Also - keeping them UP helps. Some of my rooms have venetian blinds, but they are getting ruined too. I guess I am not much help!:rolleyes:

Craftlady
05-03-2005, 09:28 AM
I dont pry off the caps, I just thread them through the blinds.

AlleyCat
05-03-2005, 10:09 AM
I find that vertical blinds work better. They don't necessarily have to cost a lot - your local improvement store should have them and they can cut them to the size of your window at no cost. Ours cost about $30 each window, not bad. And they are made of (your choice) textured vinyl or textured fabric so any kitty teeth marks are not visible.

K & L
05-03-2005, 10:11 AM
I keep mine pulled up half way, this seems to work. When I win the lottery I'm putting shutters throughout the whole house. We have them in our bedroom and arcadia door and we love them. The cats just open the shutter with their paw and there's nothing to destroy!

sirrahbed
05-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Lisa! What an idea!! We have half shutters in the kitchen and full in the garage. Are your half up or full?? Painted to match walls??? Curtain valence or any other window treatment??:)

Catsnclay
05-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by K & L
When I win the lottery .....

:D :D :D :D Make sure you remember your friends when you win!! ha, ha, ha :p

QueenScoopalot
05-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Wal-Mart! Cheapo replacements always do the trick. ;) I've got the width memorized, and buy the under $5.00 ones once or twice a year. Between the dogs, and the cats, I'm surprised they last as long as they do. I keep them part way up also. ;)

kittycats_delight
05-03-2005, 12:23 PM
I use roller shades. The ones that you just pull down on. They hold up pretty good as long as you don't have a cat that chews on things if they get in her way (like Vixen). LOL

K & L
05-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Lisa! What an idea!! We have half shutters in the kitchen and full in the garage. Are your half up or full?? Painted to match walls??? Curtain valence or any other window treatment??:)

Here's the bedroom ones:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid123/p672f05d3f3d76272f292c542a20c43ba/f82b6ede.jpg

And the arcadia door area. Unfortunately the ones on the large doors aren't showing, but we just love them!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid123/pb28d8b7aa50991c7c0db78f237e1d946/f82b6ed5.jpg

Craftlady
05-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Skinny prefers the mini blinds in living room to look like this all the time. It's a game, I go over and fix them and 2 seconds later he unfixes. :) This section he messes with is 4 rows of blinds just laid in the string.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Craftlady/Miscellanous/miniblinds.jpg

ashleycat
05-03-2005, 03:36 PM
We have mini blinds that are wooden, ok, not so mini, look like mini but are wider, they work wonders.

catmandu
05-03-2005, 08:46 PM
I keep,them up,so that the Cats can look out,and I have the Vetrtical Blinds,so they can just puch them,to one side,when they want,to look out!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture016.jpg

Hello,From Moose The Magnificent!

cruisetime
05-04-2005, 02:03 PM
If I keep them partially up - which I do so they can look out as soon as I get home - Meka will go over and start looking up at them and then jump!!!!! Look Meowmee!!! I'm hanging on the blinds!!!! She has really bent them up - at least they are old - only they were micro minis and we paid money for them - 12 years ago but that is what you get with cats I guess. I like the vertical idea but I LOVE the wooden shutter blinds! Although expensive when we build our house I think I'll go with those.... Thank you all very much - so nice to know it is not just my cat! I'd take a picture of her hanging on the blinds but they would be all broke if I waited long enough to grab the camera before I got her off - In hindsght it is funny - but boy is my hubby mad!!!! :) :) Debbie