PDA

View Full Version : Can you separate cats - take one with you and leave one home???

cruisetime
05-03-2005, 08:40 AM
We are going for a long weekend and normally would leave them home but they are so nervous and jumpy and it will be a very long weekend. Thursday night to Sunday. I tried to take my newest kitty to the store in the neighborhood last night and although he was ok - he didn't like it at all.... So an 1-1/2 hour ride to the other side of town might be a little much we are thinking. My other kitty has gone with us before - before we got Max. I thought maybe If I separate them it would do them good. Max is now hiding from Meka at home so he can sleep - she won't let him alone. They are so jumpy lately - last week or so that even the tiniest thing they are jumping out of their skins.... What do you guys think about me taking MEka and leaving Max the house to himself - which he hasn't ever had.... Debbie

moosmom
05-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Debbie,

I'd worry about Max being lonely. But I guess if you leave enough food and water out for him, keep either a radio or the tv on so it's not TOTALLY quiet, he might be fine.

If it were me, I would leave them both home to keep each other company. That also depends on how they get along with each other. Cats (aside from MY cat MooShoo, who loves riding in the car and meeting people) don't like change, and can get stressed out in situations like that.

That is only my opinion, though.

sirrahbed
05-03-2005, 10:13 AM
I guess either way would be ok Debbie. Two cats in one house can surely find a peaceful spot. But, it might be interesting to see how Max does alone in the house...but what if he likes it so much, he doesn't want Meka back?:eek:

:D :D I am sure it would work either way, Deb.

cruisetime
05-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Sirrahbed

I know he won't want her back!!! hahaha She terrorizes him! They are so jumpy since the last time we left them - last weekend and that was only from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon.

I guess I really want one of my babies with me - I miss them so much and we have been back and forth across town every weekend for over a month. I'd love to get one on one time with Max but I'm not really very sure at all he could handle to trip - 1-1/2 long and he didn't do good going to the store in the neighborhood. I take him and leave him in the carrier - afterall we picked him up from Animal COntrol on that side of town to begin with but I hate to stress him out just because I want him around....

Thanks for the opinion - that is what I needed. Actually Meka would do worse home alone I think. Before - we always took her with us because she missed us so much. But Max I think would do fine. Thanks again, Debbie

catmandu
05-03-2005, 09:48 PM
I think,that that might,be good,for Max,to be alone,a bit,it might make him,miss Meka a bit.And after all cats,are by nature solitary Creatures!Except below
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture091.jpg
of course!

Craftlady
05-03-2005, 09:56 PM
We dont leave our gang of three alone overnight.

catnapper
05-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Cats are more resilient than we give them credit for. I would bring him along. I myself would worry way too much about him being alone. I worry when I go out of town for a day and leave my husband and the kids alone with the cats! I'd be a mess... was there enough water? Was there enough food? What about the cleanliness of the litterbox? What if he ate a bug and got sick? What if he knocked something over and stepped on the broken glass? Yessiree... I'm a worry wart. If I can't be there with them, they better be here with me, or have someone checking in on them a few times a day.

All that said, I can see my husband saying "they'll be FINE" and rolling his eyes at me. Whatever you do, ulitmately its got to be something that works for you, and you are comfortable with.

cruisetime
05-04-2005, 01:03 PM
catnapper,

the bottom cat picture on your signature looks just like Max!!! Except that Max has blood stains on his nose from MEka scratching him up.......

We've left them alone together before and they were fine except they have now gotten so jumpy. Also we are both gone everyday from 7:30am to 5:30pm.. I'd like to see if maybe the "absence makes the heart grow fonder" might apply to both of them if separated. We'll see.

I'll tell you how it works out. At least Max's nose might have time to heal before Meka gets at him again. She better watch it because he is much bigger than her and when he has enough he has enough! We are trimming Meka's claws tonight... :) :) Debbie