PDA

View Full Version : Is this just a phase?

christa
05-03-2005, 07:20 AM
Brodie has been showing some unusual behaviors lately.

Yesterday, I went to lift him down off of the computer desk because he was getting into everything . . . just lifted him down normally . . . picked him up under his arms . . . nothing unusual.

He FREAKED OUT! He did that thing . . . stiffened up, his arms & legs flying everywhere . . . fur was even flying!!!

So I threw him down . . . I WAS BLEEDING BAD!

He got me in 3 different places on my right hand and my hand was bleeding pretty bad. I wanted to take him upstairs to put him in his room so he could settle down and so I could clean myself up . . . went to lift him onto the stairs and he did it again!!!

He does this all the time . . . never this bad . . . but it seems like whenever we go to put him down when we're holding him, he freaks out a little . . . claws out, stiffened up . . . even when he jumps up from being on my lap . . . when he decides he wants to get down, look out!

So is this a phase? Some kind of teenager kittey stage he's going through?

I hope it's just a phase . . . I'm almost scared to pick him up!

:eek:

edit: I forgot to add . . . I wondered if he was hurting and maybe that was why he was freaking out when I was lifting him . . . I felt around on his ribs & belly and he didn't flinch. Also, hubby came home and picked him up just to make sure . . .

:confused:

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Don't rush into anything; just wait and see. But if this weird behaviour continues, there might be something hurting, like a sore paw or so! A while ago, Inka hurt a claw; that day she was absolutely cranky and she got agressive everytime somebody got near her (even Maya!).

catnapper
05-03-2005, 08:07 AM
I was going to suggest that perhaps he hurt himself. Abby acted the same way at about 5 or 6 months old. I don't know what she did, but I can tell you she acted like a little monster when I picked her up. Is he a little less active than usual? Is he sleeping more and generally wants to be left alone? He probably just pulled a muscle - perhaps in his houlder area or something. Keep an eye on him to make sure he's eating and using the litterbox as normal.

christa
05-03-2005, 08:10 AM
I guess it's just so wierd because he is the SWEETEST kitten in the world! He never ever intentionally hurts me! He is a little lover boy that just wants to be with me constantly!

Even though he's been acting like this, he is still acting sweet! It's just when he jumps up real fast or freaks when we go to put him down . . . just seems strange.

It almost reminds me of a cat that's been spooked by something . . . you know how jumpy they can be afterwards . . . I just don't know what in the world could have spooked him so bad!

christa
05-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
I was going to suggest that perhaps he hurt himself. Abby acted the same way at about 5 or 6 months old. I don't know what she did, but I can tell you she acted like a little monster when I picked her up. Is he a little less active than usual? Is he sleeping more and generally wants to be left alone? He probably just pulled a muscle - perhaps in his houlder area or something. Keep an eye on him to make sure he's eating and using the litterbox as normal.

I wondered if maybe he had a pulled muscle . . . because he's a wildcat! He and Josie play pretty rough and he LOVES to climb! He may have fell or he may have been hurt when they were playing.

He's still pretty active . . . WILD is more like it!

sirrahbed
05-03-2005, 10:29 AM
:eek: Oh Christa!! I hate that "afraid of your own kitty" feeling!!

How is Brodie doing today? Dylan freaks a bit when we put him down and so have to do it very carefully and still holding him firmly. Maybe he feels he is being dropped or something?? Or, mayeb put him down on a bed or something higher and see if that helps??:rolleyes:

christa
05-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
:eek: Oh Christa!! I hate that "afraid of your own kitty" feeling!!

How is Brodie doing today? Dylan freaks a bit when we put him down and so have to do it very carefully and still holding him firmly. Maybe he feels he is being dropped or something?? Or, mayeb put him down on a bed or something higher and see if that helps??:rolleyes:

Brodie is acting normal today . . . but I have been keeping my distance from him. I haven't picked him up since the incident. Waiting for my gashes to close up first! :rolleyes:

I can't imagine that he would be scared of something like being dropped . . . we've never dropped him before.

Hmm . . . I just don't know.

Hubby seems to think he remembers Josie acting the same way at the same age . . . but I don't remember that. Must have blocked it out, LOL.

catmandu
05-03-2005, 09:44 PM
sometimes I think,that Kittens,will panic,as we are that much bigger,than them,even we,are as gentle,as we can be.I have,to be careful,and I cannot pick up Scrappy 2,at all.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture091.jpg