PDA

View Full Version : Cutaneous Papilloma

Cincy'sMom
01-23-2002, 06:56 PM
This is my first post, but many of you have seen my girls, posted by "Sadie's Dad" Thanks to everyone for the great comments about them.
Cincy once again has us learning about doggie health as today we found out she has "warts" (Cutaneous Papilloma) in her mouth. From what I have read, they go away on their own and a fairly common in puppies. I just wondered if anyone had dealt with this before and how contagious it might be. (The vet told us to keep Sadie and Cincy apart for 1-2 months while they cleared up...we laughed!!!)
Thanks is advance!

lizbud
01-23-2002, 07:55 PM
Hi Cincy'sMom, and Welcome to Pet Talk.

I am curious , did your vet actually say that this
condition was contagious ? Also, when you say that it's
common in puppies, does this condition tend to be breed
specific , or not ? I have a GSD/Husky mix who the vet
said had a papilloma on his gum tissue. In my case the
vet refered to it as a tumor, it was checked out & found
to be non-cancerous. It doesn't seem to interfere with his
eating or his general health, so I don't worry about it,
but would love to hear what your vet told you about
pappillomas .... Thanks for any info you may have .

Cincy'sMom
01-23-2002, 10:04 PM
Actually, the vet office we go to has 5 docs and we called just before closing when we noticed the lumps. Only one doc was left on duty and she said she had never seen anything like this before and with the help of a vet book and a phone call to another doc, made the diagnosis. The info I found on the web did not mention the condition as being contagious, said it was common in puppies and usually goes away in "several weeks" I found this at peteducation.com

Albea
01-24-2002, 12:44 PM
After a couple of weeks when Carina came home, she was 6 months old, she started to show something that looked like warts all around her mouth. The vet said that they were caused by a virus and that they would go away. But when they appeared in her nose and she was very uncomfortable she had to have surgery. I don't exactly remember what the vet's explanation was but he said that by removing that one the others would go away and they did.
You could check http://www.vetinfo.com for more information
Best wishes and big hug for lovely little Cincy.

tatsxxx11
01-24-2002, 06:04 PM
That's a terrific vet info. site that Albea posted. Warts are caused by a virus and can be contagious, depending on the type. I have no personal experience with doggie warts, however. Hope dear Cincy gets well soon. Poor baby. She's had her fair share recently!:( Hugs and kisses to Cincy!!

Cincy'sMom
01-26-2002, 10:24 AM
A short update on Cincy...Thursday night her left eye also became a "cherry eye" (this happened with her right eye in Dec. and it is doing well since being surgically reattached). Because of the virus she currently has, there was some white bumps on her eyelid and the vet made the decision to not reattached this eyelid, but to remove it. That went well, we just need to becareful she doesn't get "dry eye" later with the loss of one of her tear glands.
We asked that while she was under anyway, the bumps in her mouth and her eyelid be biopsied so we know for sure that it isn't something more serious.
I told my husband this precious little thing was meant to be ours so she gets taken care of right. She doesn't seem to know anything is up and she is the happy, bouncy puppy she has always been!

Sudilar
01-26-2002, 01:24 PM
It sure does seem sometimes that the most needy pets do end up in the right home!! Hats off to you for working on Cincy's problems and not sending her off. :)

tatsxxx11
01-26-2002, 06:45 PM
Cincy, your mommy and daddy sure do love you!! Thanks so much for the update. Poor baby has been through a lot. Still an A+ trooper. Kind of reminds me of a Shepherd I know!!;) Good girl Cincy for being so brave. You're on the prayer list till we know you're A-OK!! Love and kisses from Sandra, Cody and Star!

lizbud
01-30-2002, 02:11 PM
Hi Cincy's Mom,

Just noticed that today is your Birthday.
Just wanted to say Congratulations & have
a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!

Cincy'sMom
01-30-2002, 04:30 PM
Cincy went to the vet today and the biopsy came results were good news...it is just the virus, that should go away on it's own. Also, her eye is healing wonderfully (no more antibiotic!!!)

Thanks to everyone for thinking of and praying for out baby :)

AmberLee
01-30-2002, 08:21 PM
;) :D :p That clever Cincy had a great birthday present for her mommy, didn't she?

{{{Cincy's Mom and Cincy}}} -- nice coincidence that this good report came back on your birthday, but it is so good to hear. Thanks for letting us know.

Regards,
AmberLee

Sudilar
01-30-2002, 10:08 PM
Whew!! Thank goodness it's good news!!!

Sounds like you just got the best birthday present ever!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :)

Albea
01-31-2002, 11:37 AM
BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
And thanks for keeping us updated on lovely Cincy's progress towards good helth.
Best wishes to you and many kisses to the little girl.

tatsxxx11
01-31-2002, 05:40 PM
Yippppppppeeee, Cincy!! What a great birthday gift! More Birthday Wishes for Cincy's Mom and kisses and hugs for Cincy!!