PDA

View Full Version : Daily 10 Miles Bad for My Dog?

sandragonfly
05-02-2005, 09:31 PM
hi :) sorry this is boring ...but help!

first of all, nothing is wrong with my crayola....as of right now -- :o

but as a great, great worrier, I'm afraid I'm doing too much for him? :( he loves to run and chase the balls constantly, won't stop until I stop (when it gets dark or rain or to other plans).

beginning of our daily adventure would be bicycling the first five miles, stop for potty (exactly same grasses), and water break then I hop back on the bike for another four miles to a park about a mile away from my home, fetches, of course!! I throw at least 50x and bike back home...

how much should he do before he breaks himself somewhere?? :eek: I now just don't feel right and didn't complain because I thought I was too busy to do this daily just for him but I've been! (except the last two weeks...).

any information? sites/facts about this? thanks!

bckrazy
05-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Exercise is always good for your pup :D especially Goldens, as theyre prone to gain weight, and its hard on their joints if they get too big. I wish I could do all that with Gonzo every day! He would love that!!

Just make sure you check Crayola's pads every day for wear (they should feel rough, not smooth), and don't bike with him when it gets really hot out or the pavement is hot. Water breaks are always good! Try not to let him gulp down a lot of water during exercise, as Goldens are deep-chested and more prone to bloat. As long as you make sure he isn't getting too tired and he's happy, it sounds good ;)

oh. . and if you aren't totally sure already, have your vet check his hips and elbows to make sure they're solid and can handle 10+ miles of running a day.

dragondawg
05-03-2005, 06:11 PM
long distance running probably isn't good for a dog, especially a breed prone to hip problems. Especially with the warmer months coming up heat prostration could become a problem. If you can find a body of water near by, you can't beat a game of fetch in the water for exercise. Absolutely no stress on the joints.

rebeccarichardson
05-06-2005, 04:07 PM
I agree with both bckrazy & dragondawg.

I think it's wise to error on the side of caution and not overdo the exercise, especially with the weather heating up.

It's safer to "add on" mileage gradually then to have to fix an injury caused by over stress after the fact.

'Having injured my dogs cruiate ligament last year from too much....I know what I speak of--although every dog and situation is unique.

sandragonfly
05-13-2005, 06:05 PM
yeah...felt my intution so. thanks guys!!

oh god, rebecca, I want so much to have crayola play in water! he LOVES and that's absolutely >better< than running and running. but no water, pond or even a puddle around here!

I don't think we will run 10 miles a day anymore because it gets evily hot here now.. heat now angers me because it makes crayola so tired and too hot to fetch a ball not more than once. :( I've been giving him iced-rag and ice cubes for him to chew,...it gets so boring!

hey, I'm going to promise him that I will find a new home for all of us just for him! I swear more than anything, he needs to have his life (run, balls and foggy) too, period. :o :(

bckrazy
05-14-2005, 02:23 AM
:) Gina, you should consider moving to Northern Cali!! The weather is a lot cooler up here. . it was like 70 today, soo nice :D I hope Crayola gets acclimated to the heat down in SoCal. I know it gets super hot there.

HollywoodNVegas
06-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Hello....

I would build Crayola up to the 10 miles over a period of time. It will take at least one month. You don't want him to have heat exhaustion. Running with him that much is actually not recommended. I have a Lab who is incredibly athletic. We were advised that jogging constantly and running is not really good for her in the warm months. Dogs do not function like we do, it is much harder for them to breathe properly in these warm months....especially in CALI. Also, water breaks are needed MUCH more than 5 miles each. Every 15 minutes is best.

Sorry if I sound so mean :-) I wish the best for you both - have a great summer :-)

sandragonfly
06-01-2005, 08:49 PM
hi hollyvegas, :)

no, you don't sound mean and appreciate your concerns! I'd be glad having you post if I didn't know anything about heat.

don't worry, for about a month and half now, he never runs or walks more than a few yards. in past last week, california's sun has been really, really roastin us!! two weeks before that, I was in the hospital so he stayed with me. a week before that, I refused taking crayola out because once we go out, he whines and started panting in a few seconds. usually, he listens to me to stay with me all the time but this evil sun really got him RUN to a shade and I have to walk to him to take him and go back inside. :( poor him! soo...two weeks before that, I was in hospital too, he got to stay with me in there most of time...that's when the nasty heat started!

four months before my first hospital stay, it has been raining and cooool to take him out 4-5x a week but now, we've been glued to our beds!! :eek: booooreeeeed. :o

I'm searching HARD to find a new place in cooler place, we can not stand being in this city anymore!!! :( :(

:D thanks again, everyone!

sandragonfly
06-01-2005, 08:56 PM
when he was taken to my coast vet, the vet checked his every single muscles and joints and said he's perfect! :D

thank goodness, and I will be extra careful afterwards! :)