PDA

View Full Version : Lhasa at the shelter. .

bckrazy
05-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Me and my Mom went to drop of some donations at the city shelter, and we saw the CUTEst little Lhasa Apso boy! He's only about 3 years old, and he was adorable but he looked so bad. . he has a horrible eye infection and they had to cut off most of his fur from mats. His former owners completely neglected him :(

Anyway, my Aunt used to show Lhasas and she bred 2 litters (this was about 15 years ago!). . her last two boys, MaChi and ChiChi, died about 3 years ago and she's been looking at rescues ever since. She's going down to see him tomorrow, and she says as long as he's friendly she would love to get him! He is such a sweetie, I really hope she does! He was licking us like crazy through the cage and he was really happy despite his condition. I'll keep everyone updated - and post pics if/when she gets him!!! Heres a pic of him at the shelter. .

http://www.shelterdogs.us/images/dogs/1056_1.JPG

caseysmom
05-02-2005, 05:01 PM
Oh what a sweetie...he just needs some TLC. I hope your aunt gets him.

gemini9961
05-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Awwww what a cute lil furry guy. Hope your aunt gets him too.

Ginger's Mom
05-02-2005, 05:50 PM
What a cutie :). How nice of you and your family to get involved. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it works out.

jennifert9
05-02-2005, 07:08 PM
What a sweetie pie! I really hope that your aunt rescues him. He deserves a wonderful life! Keep us in the loop...:D

Bigyummydog
05-02-2005, 07:11 PM
paws and fingers crossed here...:D

bckrazy
05-02-2005, 09:50 PM
:) thanks everyone!! I *really* hope she gets him too, I told her to get there early because I'm sure there are a few people that want him. . he's just becoming available tomorrow.

He would be so spoiled, and that pup deserves it!! She has this amazingly beautiful gorgeous house on a golf course, and she walks every day and knows tons about dogs. Crossing my fingers too. . I will update you guys tomorrow!

Giselle
05-03-2005, 12:32 AM
Awwww, he is so adorable!!! I bet he would love Lucky and vice-versa. Is she going to keep him in show coat, or 'imitation' show coat?:p

Oggyflute
05-03-2005, 02:15 AM
Really hope your Aunt is able to get the little guy.:)

lute
05-03-2005, 10:00 AM
poor thing.:( my fingers are crossed for your aunt and this cutie!

jennifert9
05-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Was your aunt able to get the lhasa?:)

Buddy Blaze Lover
05-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Oggyflute
Really hope your Aunt is able to get the little guy.:)

Ditto! He sure is a cutie!:D

petslover
05-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Did your aunt get the cute pup?

I hope so too!

lute
05-05-2005, 06:07 PM
yeah, what's the news?:confused:

Dixieland Dancer
05-06-2005, 07:54 AM
I hope your Aunt gets him too! It sounds like he would be in Doggie heaven living with her! :D

bckrazy
05-14-2005, 02:56 AM
:o I'm SO sorry I didnt update this thread. . kind of obviously, my Aunt couldnt adopt the poor boy. She got to the shelter about an hour after opening, and some one had adopted him right when they opened. My aunt was very bummed, so am I. . but there are still tons of puppers out there for her ;) thanks for all of your support, I wiiish!! Gonzo would've loved that little guy!

Giselle
05-15-2005, 01:23 AM
Get a Peke! We've never met another Peke besides the ones at the shows. They're a p.i.t.a to groom, fiercely stubborn, way too dignified (;)), and tough to train, but they're so worth it. They're loyal to their deaths and are fabulous watch dogs. Their barks are deep, but they never bark unless there's a *very* good reason (for example, they won't bark a blowing leaf like other Toy dogs). Too bad your aunt couldn't adopt the Lhasa. I'm guessing your shelter doesn't do homechecks? Most shelters are really lacking in evaluating potential adopters. I guess that shelter only requires a brief interview and filling out a contract, huh? :rolleyes:

bckrazy
05-15-2005, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Giselle
Most shelters are really lacking in evaluating potential adopters. I guess that shelter only requires a brief interview and filling out a contract, huh? :rolleyes:

exactly!! Basically, the first person to give them the money and fill out two pages of info gets the dog. And its SO easy for anyone to lie about past dogs, living arrangements, and everything. I do worry that the poor guy will just go to another home that ends up neglecting him, letting him turn into a walking mat of fur, letting the infections come back, etc. :( I know my aunt would never, ever do that to a dog. Her dogs were SO well taken care of, they lived to 16 and 18!

I think she really loves Pekes too ^_~. . I think she has a soft spot for Lhasas, but I'm sure she'd look into a Peke is there was one for adoption! She really doesn't want to go to a breeder, go through puppy hell, and everything, when she knows how many shelter pups need new homes.

Giselle
05-15-2005, 02:59 AM
:( It's such a shame because shelters are supposed to be *helping* dogs by finding new, better homes. Instead, there are so many loopholes in their adoption system that the dogs can just as easily fall into the wrong hands...again. I know some kill shelters that even let the dog go unaltered. I'm just glad that the shelters over in my area are in *much* better condition and the BEBHS even requires a homecheck, I believe.

Hey, if your aunt likes Pekes... Clicky (http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4441996&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=4286ff7839ee0a66-app5&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=)

You know, if this dog were in show coat, he'd actually fit the standard quite well. His topskull is level and flat and I think the ears are placed correctly. His gaze is direct and bold, but not bulgy. Nice wide placed eyes. The mask is there, level topline, nice slightly bowed legs. His only faults (the ones that are really obvious) are his lack of wrinkle (it's too thin and weak) and his height- too tall compared to his length. I would adopt him if we had room. *sighs dreamily*