PDA

View Full Version : Hartz pet products - be careful!!

LuckiLab03
05-02-2005, 04:27 PM
(I saw a bunch of you talking about it in another thread.)

I saw in a message board that people were saying how they got their Hartz packages and a bunch of people responded saying bad things about them.

Be careful.. especially with any tick drops. (cats and the drops are the most common complaint)
Some people mentioned shampoo too in there... saying they gave their dogs seizures, they are vowing never to use their products again and keep writing to Hartz, at least trying to get the flea/tick drops off the shelves.

They even have a site of "Hartz victims."
http://www.hartzvictims.org/

I wouldn't suggest using them just in case. Another person said the dog bones break off in big pieces and can get lodged in their intestines (don't know what kind of bone).

bckrazy
05-02-2005, 04:50 PM
I totally agree :( I would not use the shampoo. . Hartz is just a bad company. They sell over-the-counter dewormer T_T!! plus the flea/tick drops, some of these things just should not be sold in grocery stores. It kindof hints that the products are crap quality, and harmful to pets.

luvofallhorses
05-02-2005, 04:52 PM
:eek: I am going to have to throw that free makeover kit away same with cats.......They got their treats and were fine...but I don't trust them either since I heard this on another message board, thank you SOOO much for the heads up :D

buckner
05-02-2005, 05:12 PM
In the kit I got from them, I received part of a bone, some breath strips, and 3 sample shampoos. Daisy ate the bone really fast and she doesn't much like the breath strips. However, we have our own special medicated shampoos (3 of them, to be exact) that we must use at every bath time.... so I refuse to use the shampoo. My brother was looking at the oatmeal kind and asked "Hmmm, I wonder if this really tastes like oatmeal".. he was totally about to open it up and eat it until both his girlfriend and I told him he was a sick dork. Hehe... might've done better good for him than the dog! :p

Thanks for the heads-up about this though! I'll throw it out just to make sure no one uses it.

Suki Wingy
05-02-2005, 05:44 PM
:eek: :eek: I already used the shampoos on Niño! He didn't show any sign of irritation, though. I'm not sure if I will use the rest, though after this!:eek:

gemini9961
05-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Mine already ate the bone too without any incident, but I will throw the shampoo away ASAP. I haven't used the shampoo yet and I'm glad I haven't. Thanks for the tip.

MariaM
05-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Eeek! What kind of shampoo is in the samples? We have Hartz puppy shampoo, and Hartz flea and tick shampoo for Major. The puppy stuff is purple and the flea and tick is a dark green. Were either of these in the package, or does anyone know if they're bad?

LuckiLab03
05-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Hmm.. I don't know.. but I wouldn't use them just to be on the safe side. Maybe next time you go to the vet ask him/her if they know anything about Hartz products?

Suki Wingy
05-02-2005, 06:27 PM
!!!I just remembered, Niño's shampoo he uses all the time is Hartz! We have never had a problem, but next time I'm at PetSmart, I will buy new shampoo of a different kind.

Nomilynn
05-02-2005, 06:43 PM
The dangerous ingredient is permethrin, which is an insecticide that attacks the central nervous system. Problem is that it cannot distinguish between the CNS of a pest and the CNS of an animal, and can cause nerve damage, seizures, etc etc.

Any product with this ingredient should NOT be used, especially around cats (who seem to be more sensitive) and little kids. Personally, I would never buy a flea and tick product of ANY kind over the counter. Go to the vet - you may pay more initially for the bottle of shampoo or treatment but in the long run you will save money and heartache.

Bigyummydog
05-02-2005, 07:06 PM
:eek: all we got in our make over kit was 3 shampoos and something like a rawhide, which of course was consumed in seconds...he usually doesn't eat rawhide, he mostly plays with it...we did however use the puppy shampoo(tearless), after MAXIMUS did his roll in the YUCK trick, i needed to scrub his face, which normally i don't...he had no reaction to it, but we will trash the other two...it's really too bad, because i really liked that puppy shampoo....and it didn't give ME a rash...:( ...well, we still have the cool zippy bag, his 'to go' stuff fits rather nicely in it......thanx for the heads up......:)...i'm usually so fussy about trying new stuff like that....i don't know what i was thinking...:confused:

LKPike
05-02-2005, 07:53 PM
hmmm its kinda hard for me to believe that a shampoo would give a dog seizures unless the dog was eating it?? :confused: still - we threw the free shampoo samples away as Jillian's "rose and yogurt" scented shampoo is good with her :p There have been news stories about fake tick/flea products - not only from Hartz. That contain chemicals your animal and you yourself should *NEVER* be near, so everyone should make sure what their buying is the real deal.

MariaM
05-02-2005, 11:21 PM
The flea and tick stuff we bought Major had permethrin in it. :confused: :confused: There are two vets here and they both sold the same kind. So we bought it...I told my mom we shouldn't get over the counter, but apparently, what the vet is selling isn't safe either?

elizabethann
05-03-2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the update. I'll have to make sure I don't buy anything with Permethrin in it. That website you gave us was so sad. The photo of the poor cat was heart breaking. Thanks again for informing us.

IRescue452
05-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the warning. We don't use flea and tick shampoo on our dogs and we don't need any flea stuff for our cat, but I do have a package of Hartz flea drops for Autumn. I'll have to find another poduct that works good.

Suki Wingy
05-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
The dangerous ingredient is permethrin, which is an insecticide that attacks the central nervous system. Problem is that it cannot distinguish between the CNS of a pest and the CNS of an animal, and can cause nerve damage, seizures, etc etc.

:eek: :eek: :( NiÑo has seisures and the vet always told us it was a mild case of epilepsy! He never had them before we used the product!!!! :(
Now I am so MAD:mad:
my poor baby! To think that a simple shampoo could potentailly shorten his life! I really hope it was not the shampoo, but now I am very scared.

Vette
05-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Oh my gosh. ive been using Hartz shampoo ever sine i rescued Kirby.. his previous owner used it too.. i liked the smell and the way it made his coat feel so i didnt bother changing shampoos...

i even have a picture of him posing by the shampoo i use.(and its new) as the old shampoo i used to buy was green.

Vette
05-03-2005, 05:27 PM
What perticular shampoo is causing problems?
this is really scary as ive been using Hartz shampoo for as long as ive had Kirby. (4 years now)

his previous owner used the green shampoo(had a picture of a Old English Sheep dog holding a brush in its mouth) and i didnt change shampoos after i got him. but now Hartz came out with this blue stuff and i cant find the green stuff anymore. :confused:

this makes his 3rd bath with the blue stuff