PDA

View Full Version : My dog hunts like a cat

Denyce
05-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Most dogs I have known over the years don't seem to care much about flies. But Sequoia apparently really doesn't like them. On Sat evening one flew into the house when she came in from a walk. She spent the rest of the evening till it was time for her to go to bed...about an hour or so hunting the fly. She would stalk it around...patiently watching it flying around her head...and then suddenly spring into the air snapping like crazy. At one point it landed on the wall....she ever so slowly almost crouching stalked over to the wall...one slow step at a time....luckily the fly moved before she could slam her nose into the wall. She never did catch it that night. Trouble the kitten got it the next day. *L* But she sure was entertained.

Denyce

Lescoop77
05-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Pandy does the same thing!! It's hilarious. She will stare and watch the fly then try to eat it in mid air!! She also sits on top of the couch and stares out the window like a cat. She's 45 lbs!!!! LOL

gemini9961
05-02-2005, 05:50 PM
My Maggie hunts all kinds of bugs too. She tries to catch them as well. She really likes to chase squirrels though. The squirrels are almost bigger than her. :)

Glacier
05-02-2005, 08:49 PM
LOL! Muskwa does that too. He's a better hunter than some of my cats!

Does Sequoia do the "kangroo hop" in tall grass when she's hunting?

Denyce
05-02-2005, 09:21 PM
*L* Yes...but she usually does more of a fox hop...where she leaps in the air but then lands on her front paws and starts digging like mad. I just thought this was very amusing with the fly. Most dogs I have been around just lie there till the fly is within snapping range and then they snap. I have never seen a dog stalk a fly. *shaking my head and laughing* I am looking forward to this spring and all the chippies coming out of hibernation. We have purchased a couple of 75 foot zip lines...or trolley lines as some people call them to put up behind the house in the woods. That should allow her some chippie hunting time without a human only a few feet away from her.

Denyce