PDA

View Full Version : I need help!

PJ's Mom
01-23-2002, 12:56 PM
Hi all...

I need to find a way to convince hubby to let me have another doggie. :D We've had some conversations about it during the past few months, but unfortunately, they go something like this:

Me: "I found this really cute Cocker at the shelter today!"
Hubby: "No"
Me: "You haven't even seen him yet!"
Me: "Why not?"

*sigh*

See my problem? He never tells me why he doesn't want another dog. Maybe it's because we have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 11 fish? Nah, that can't be it. :D

I've tried begging, crying, asking nicely, sucking up, demanding, and pouting. None of these seem to work well. I even asked for a dog for my birthday and at Christmas. All that got me was a really cute doggie calendar. :rolleyes:

How can I convince this very stubborn man to let me get just one more doggie? :D

aly
01-23-2002, 01:04 PM
Tell him you'll be out the door if you can't have another!! Hehe just kidding. Maybe if you could find the saddest rescue story and show it to him, it'll melt his heart and he'll want to adopt the dog?

I'm trying to think of ideas but it seems like you've tried just about everything :( Good luck!!!

Logan
01-23-2002, 01:05 PM
I am not often grateful that I have no man in my life, but in moments like this, I am! LOL! :D I wish I had some words of wisdom for you PJ's Mom, but I don't. When I was married, I can't remember ever desiring another dog because Chuck, the Yellow Lab, was a handful and had medical problems that were quite costly. But I always wanted two cats, and he said a firm NO to me every time I asked. The one time that I finally had him agreeing, the cat I wanted turned out to be positive for Feline Leukemia, and we couldn't bring him in and risk passing it to Mimi.

Now I have as many as I can handle! 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 hamsters and the 2 hermit crabs. Life is good. But I don't suggest ridding yourself of the husband to get your wish!!
;)

Good luck though, and keep trying. Bribery works..... :o

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-23-2002, 01:05 PM
I know what you mean about wanting another doggy and the big bad mean ole hubby says NO. Sometimes, we need that because they can see things from a different angle. I have been wanting another pup for a while now and Andrew keeps saying no. But he has a point. Drake isn't good with other dogs, I am all alone without help since he is in flight school, and our house isn't big enough for another dog. In addition to that the work load I have and grad school that keeps me busy enough.

Perhaps, your husband has a reason for saying NO. If so, I think he needs to explain his answer. Perhaps he feels like the 2 you already have will not like another dog, maybe he feels you do not have enough space or time to care for yet another animal. Perhaps he feels you can not afford it for the time being. I could go on and on, but I think you get my point.

Next time you ask him if you can have another dog and he says NO. Ask for some reasons. That will help you see things from a differently and may be able to understand and accpet the NO.

PJ's Mom
01-23-2002, 01:24 PM
Gosh, I hate it when people make sense. :D ;)

I thought it might be because of Opus...the (stray) dog we had to have put to sleep a few months ago when he bit my daughter's face. But thinking more about it, I don't think so, because a couple of months later, we adopted Bailey from the shelter. She's turned out great, too! :)

We can afford to have another dog. money isn't the problem, although PJ's vet bill yesterday was $178. (he has an ear infection. :( ) :eek: Maybe that's it! Hmmm....

I think I'll run to the shelter and adopt the dog of my choice, then hide it in the kids bedroom. :D

pepper636
01-23-2002, 01:31 PM
I always lay around depressed. Finally after many days and weeks of this he gives in. I want a puppy now and he doesn't because he feels it's not the time. I agree because I haven't found my heart puppy yet, but when I do, I don't care what he says, that puppy is coming home with me. We're not married though, just living together in my house. I know that makes a difference.

Edwina's Secretary
01-23-2002, 02:17 PM
I find this thread amusing because in my house it was my husband who begged for a cat. Here are some of the things he did...
1. enlisted my mother (who nagged me for him)
2. talked to an imaginary cat --- especially at night
3. went to the hair salon with me and then suggested a walk
across the street to the anti-cruelty society

He is now working on number two kitty. :rolleyes:

PJ's Mom
01-23-2002, 02:39 PM
Talked to an imaginary cat? lol :D

There's one I haven't tried yet. :D

purrley
01-23-2002, 03:12 PM
No man in my life to tell me what to do - but I got a Board of Directors at the condo complex where I live that are mad because I have 4 cats and a dog - oh well tough XX@@@#@@###:)

Barbiro
01-23-2002, 03:49 PM
PJ's Mom - your hubby and my hubby must be related or have the same brain waves. Here's a conversation we also had yesterday morning:

Me: "I saw this really cute chihuahua up for adoption on the net today!"
Me: "You haven't even seen him yet!"
Me: "Why not?"

I pouted; he felt bad; he explained. We really don't have the time nor the space for yet another dog. It does make sense, :( but I still wish I could bring with me every animal I see that needs a home. Reality check = I can't! :( but I can still wish it :)

aly
01-23-2002, 03:53 PM
Oooooh, when I get a husband I KNOW I'm going to be the one begging for more animals. But it would be SO cool to marry a man who would be begging me for more animals! Hehe! I'd just say "Sure!" and we'd run to the shelter.

I wanna be mugsy when I grow up :D

RachelJ
01-23-2002, 06:48 PM
Yup, I've got one of the *No brothers* here as well. No more dogs, no cats, no to being a foster home. But in the final anaylsis I have to admit he is right. There isn't enough time in my day to handle the responsibilities I already have, and Miss Thang would not take it lightly having to divide the time she is alloted with anyone else. She has acquiesced to letting us keep Tucker, but even that took some convincing.

TheAntiPam
01-23-2002, 07:17 PM
Instead of talking to the imaginary cat (or dog) try this:

(as stolen from Chicken Soup for the Soul)

Get a big potato and put a string around it like a leash. Take it everywhere you go. Go outside in the yard with it on the leash. Talk to it. Make a comfy bed for it.

Your husband will soon give in and either a) call the men in the white coats to haul you away, or b) whisk you down to the shelter to find a new REAL pup to bring home.

Then cook and eat the potato, if applicable.

P.S. This also works with a pony and a watermelon.

aly
01-23-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by TheAntiPam

Get a big potato and put a string around it like a leash. Take it everywhere you go. Go outside in the yard with it on the leash. Talk to it. Make a comfy bed for it.

Your husband will soon give in and either a) call the men in the white coats to haul you away, or b) whisk you down to the shelter to find a new REAL pup to bring home.

Then cook and eat the potato, if applicable.

P.S. This also works with a pony and a watermelon.

HAHAHAAHAHAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh thats SOOOOOOOOO funny!!!!!!!!! Hehehehehehehheheeh!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.plauder-smilies.com/rotfl.gif

evelyn1157
01-23-2002, 07:54 PM
hahahahha! that's so funny! :D

*LabLoverKEB*
01-23-2002, 08:48 PM
Ohhh, I want a puppy SOOO bad!!! But, me parents just keep saying, "NO"!:(

Good luck on trying to convince your hubby to get a puppy! :) ;)