PDA

View Full Version : Languages

gkristian
05-02-2005, 01:07 AM
i was just wondering who could speak more then one language and what it was, but if you can only speak english what language would you like to learn.

Since i was born in Macedonia and lived there for 10 years my first language is macedonian, my second is serbian and my third is english, and at the moment i am learning italian at school

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-02-2005, 03:01 AM
I speak 4 languages. As I live in the Flemish part of Belgium, my first language is Dutch. Then I also speak French. My 3rd language is English. Finally there is German :)
Though English is only my 3rd, I speak it better than French!! (I hate speaking French :rolleyes: )

gkristian
05-02-2005, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Maya & Inka's mommy
(I hate speaking French :rolleyes: )
i hate it as well. i had to learn it in grade 7 & 8.

carole
05-02-2005, 05:17 AM
I only speak English, but know a few Maori words, and use them here from time to time, I also can speak the Aberdonian Dialect (scottish) very badly, well to the scottish ear anyhow, but I think I would love to speak French, it is a beautiful sounding language and accent.

Vette
05-02-2005, 06:21 AM
I only speak english.. but was forced to take french in school and hated it,, because i coudlnt get the hang of it...LOL

GoldenRetrLuver
05-02-2005, 09:16 AM
English is my first language, and I know a *little* French and Spanish. We're required to take two years of the same language during high school, so I'll have to take either French or Spanish again next year, since they're both different languages and we need two years of the same one.

slleipnir
05-02-2005, 09:40 AM
English only. I know a little french and Japanese

LKPike
05-02-2005, 09:42 AM
english & german. would love to learn chinese someday :)

IRescue452
05-02-2005, 09:54 AM
I know English, Spanish, and Japanese fluently. I know a little bit (basic conversation) of French, German, Algonquian, and Korean. I'm trying to learn Chichewa right now so I can undestand what my Malawian boyfriend's family is saying without needing translations.

Jamieejo85
05-02-2005, 12:05 PM
I speak spanish and english

jenfer
05-02-2005, 01:11 PM
1st language: Cantonese
2nd: English
Though I also know some Mandarin and some Japanese

EssTer
05-02-2005, 01:28 PM
I can speak latvian, russian, english...also some german and spanish....I really want to learn norwegian and french :)

Orca
05-02-2005, 03:32 PM
I only speak English, but I think being able to speak another language is awesome. I had to take French and Latin in high school and wasn't a big fan of those.
I would LOVE to be able to speak Elven (or is it Elvish?)! The language sounds so pretty!

Suki Wingy
05-02-2005, 05:33 PM
I only speak english but I am in second level spanish and going to be in third next year. I would like to speak Afrikaan becausr I would like to live in Namibia for a while and many people there speak it.

wolflady
05-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Languages are so fascinating to me. I speak English and Spanish and I'm learning Hindi.
:)

Varga
05-02-2005, 06:07 PM
My first language is Faroese
second; Danish
third; English

I've learned some German at school ( 3 years total) but I was never any good.. Learning language just isn't my thing.. But I can probably understand some of it (it’s not that much different from Danish).. just not speak it..

Other than that I could probably manage a conversation in Swedish, Icelandic and Norwegian since all these Nordic languages are very similar to either Danish or Faroese..

cookieluver7
05-02-2005, 07:08 PM
I speak English (my first language) and Spanish.:)

sandragonfly
05-02-2005, 08:02 PM
AND no one speaks my language....? :eek: :D ;)

my first language was SEE (sign exact english) *:o* until I became five.

second, ASL (american sign language).

more school? more english :D

I know a few signs in japanese, mexican, sweden and east of USA!

last...I can't learn any other languages to speak than we as I wish to because I need to hear first! :(

sammy101
05-02-2005, 08:46 PM
My first language is English
i also can speak German.
and i know a little bit of Spanish and French

rizzy
05-02-2005, 08:57 PM
I can only speak english but I can say words in spanish and german. I'm taking spanish next year as an elective.

Karen
05-02-2005, 09:01 PM
Gina, I know a few words of ASL - not enough for much of a conversation, but ...

English is my first language. I know some French, mais un petit peu. And I know Sesame Street Spanish - I can count to ten, and know a handful of words. Languages fascinate me, so I know a few words - never enough for a conversation, of course - in Polish, Swedish, and can say "Hello" and "Thank You" and "I don't want it" in what I am sure is atrociously accented Mandarin.

sandragonfly
05-02-2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Gina, I know a few words of ASL - not enough for much of a conversation, but ...

"...I know how to say 'my tree wants a cookie'.." and *there* you are now! (that's only words karen knows) :D

I can speak "I love you" & "apple juice". those are my infamous childhood "gina! show your grandparents what you just said to us!!" *six year-old girl giggling..* "MOMMY!" :rolleyes: okay... "..I luvee you!" :o