PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul story.

jesse_3
05-01-2005, 04:01 PM
I found this story in Chicken Soup for the pet lovers soul, and I think we should all realize this little boys understanding of death:

One gray morning I took the day off from work, knowing that today was the day it had to be done. Our dog Rocky, had to be put to sleep. Sickness had ravaged his once-strong body, and despite our every effort to heal our beloved boxer, his illness was intensifying.
I remember calling him to the car...how he loved car rides! But he seemed to have a sense that this time was going to be different. I drove for hours looking for any errand or excuse not to go to the vet's office, but I could no longer put off the inevitable. As I wrote the check for Rocky to be "put down," my eyes welled with tears and stained the check so it was almost unreadable.
We had gotten Rocky four years earlier, just before my first son, Robert, was born. We all loved him deeply, especially little Robert.
My heart ached as I drove home. I already missed Rocky. Robert greeted me as I got out of the car. When he asked me where our dog was, I explained that Rocky was in Heaven now. I told him Rocky had been so sick, but now he would be happy and be able to run and play all the time. My little four-year-old paused, then looking at me with his clear blue eyes and and innocent smile on his face, he pointed up to the sky and said,"He's up there, right Dad?" I managed to nod yes, and walked into the house. My wife took one look at my face and started to weep softly to herself. Then she asked me where Robert was, and I went back out to the yard to find him.
In the yard, Robert was running back and forth, tossing a large stick into the air, waiting for it to return to the ground and then picking it up and throwing it even higher and higher each time. When I asked him what he was doing he simply turned around and smiled,"I'm playing with Rocky, Dad..."

rizzy
05-02-2005, 09:37 PM
Oh I haven't heard that story before. Thats a great way to picture it, and a very cute story. Thanks so much for sharing, it's helpful.

cyber-sibes
05-03-2005, 10:36 PM
*sniff sniff*
that was so beautiful!

gemini9961
05-03-2005, 10:46 PM
Eyes are welled up with tears :( Beautiful story, how I hate when people lose a beloved pet.

jesse_3
05-06-2005, 12:31 AM
When I read this story for the first time, I was balling....

Sudilar
05-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Very moving. sniff sniff Thanks for sharing the story.

captain
05-09-2005, 03:22 AM
That is so touching.

That book is brilliant. I have it at home, and cried through most of it ....

jesse_3
05-11-2005, 12:23 AM
That book is brilliant. I have it at home, and cried through most of it ....
I have read the whole book, and I sobbed through a lot of the stories too. They are all so sad and moving, this one just took me a little more than some of the others.

sandragonfly
05-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by jesse_3
I have read the whole book, and I sobbed through a lot of the stories too. They are all so sad and moving, this one just took me a little more than some of the others.

I make three.. soooo touchy book and it sure owns a lot of kleenexes. I remember that Rocky Story, jesse! I cried, of course. in despite of cryings, I hope they'll make Part II :)

jesse_3
05-17-2005, 12:03 AM
I cried, of course. in despite of cryings, I hope they'll make Part II

I agree! I love all of their books! They are wonderful, my favorite ones are all the animal ones though! Only if everyone could love their pets as much as that whole family and everyone on PT does! The world would be so much happier!

NoahsMommy
06-15-2005, 12:34 PM
What a precious story.

Kids sure have an amazing perspective...

sandragonfly
06-15-2005, 06:26 PM
hmm, we should share more of chicken soup stories here! I don't have the book with me right now but as soon as I grab it, you'll see new touchy one here!

just hope for no typos from my tears.. ;)

sandragonfly
06-18-2005, 03:02 PM
a few weeks ago, my friend's dog, Scotty died by a heart attack. it was very sad for us, me too because he was the first and longest dog I've ever known in my life.

and sent one of stories to scotty's owners - from chicken soup, the little poem that goes with the story..

The Rainbow Bridge

Time is
Too slow for those who wait,
Too swift for those who fear,
Too long for those who grieve,
Too short for those who rejoice.
But for those who love,
Time is not.

- Henry van Dyke

There is a bridge connecting heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge is a land of meadows, hills and valleys, all of it covered with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, the pets goes to this lovely land. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. There, the old and frail animals are young again. Those who are maimed are made whole once more. they play all day with each other, content and comfortable.

There is only thing missing. They are not with the special person who loved them on Earth. So each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up! Then, the nose twitches! The ears are up! The eyes are staring! You have been seen, and that one suddenly runs from the group!

You take him or her in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again and again, and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet.

Then, together, you cross the Rainbow Bridge, never again to be spearated.

- Author Unknown

aww..hard to wait!

jesse_3
06-21-2005, 10:47 PM
I remeber reading that after my little Jewel died Gina..Your idea of sharing more stories from that book is wonderful. Any other stories should be shared too...

K9soul
06-22-2005, 08:51 PM
That is beautiful. I too have read that book and I keep it around to read the stories again from time to time. There are actually two books. One is Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul and one is Chicken Soup for the Cat and Dog Lover's Soul. Both are wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing that here.

sandragonfly
06-22-2005, 09:52 PM
(chicken soup-pet lover, page 215)

Mom saying goodnight to his young son while tucking him in bed: Don't worry, Michael. I'm sure Farley will be just fine.

Son: Can I say some prayers for him?

Mom: That would be a nice idea. (and walks out of the bedroom...)

Son: Can I go directly to God? --Or do I ask for someone in the Pet Department?

:) :) :) :) :)

Jennsen
06-23-2005, 10:32 PM
I'm trying to hide my tears from everyone sitting around me right now, but it's not working because they are rivers!
I'm going out to find the book tomarrow! Thank you for sharing that!

Jenn

jesse_3
06-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Your welcome Jenn, I'm glad you are going out to buy that book. It is wonderful, it will make you laugh and cry. Some of the stories in there are unbelievable.

Gina, thank you for sharing that "Little Comic" I loved it. We need some more of that in this part, it might help people feel better about their pet's losses. Here is one from Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul (pg. 79):

Dog standing at the window talking to police officer in the Bureau of Missing Persons saying: "He's about five feet six, has big brown eyes and curly blonde hair, and answers to the name of Master"

K9soul, I have not read the Chicken Soup for the Cat and Dog Lovers Soul, I'm going to very soon though.

Everyone, I did not think that there would be this many replies to this story, please, if you have found any stories that show helpful thing on managing death or to lighten up this part of PT, please share. Thank you all for reading, I'm glad that you have all taken it to heart.

sandragonfly
06-26-2005, 12:22 AM
I don't have the book with me but I know that "missing person" page! it was very cute and would be so true if dogs could talk..

chicken of the soup for cat & dog lover: :eek: how could I completely forget that one!! :eek: I collect chicken soups but loaned that one to a friend and she never returned it to me so I still thought I had all. :rolleyes: thanks k9soul!

jesse_3: an idea? I have a scanner and maybe I should scan those two pictured pages (we, you & I mentioned) for everyone to see..

I really think this chicken soup for pet lovers is a good book, some stories would make you feel like you're up there in rainbow bridge, knowing your dear passed ones are safe and comfort with warmths and full of goldens. :)

jesse_3
06-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Gina, you are right, some stories do make you feel like your up there on RB...It is a very comforting feeling knowing that they are safe, happy, warm, and always full.

Hey, scanning the pics would be a great idea! Sadly I don't have a scanner:( If you could scan some of them that would be great!!

I can't seem to find my Chicken Soup for the Cat & Dog Lovers Soul, it is lost in our moving mess. Either I'll buy another one, or, I'll turn this whole house upside down to find it!

Here's another (pg. 237 in Pet Lovers Soul):

{Little Girl holding her cat} If I was Noah, I'd have taken a whole BUNCH of cats instead of just two."

sandragonfly
07-01-2005, 02:38 PM
three cute pages we mentioned before -- following down in each..

page 215..
http://tinypic.com/6jq5fr.jpg

sandragonfly
07-01-2005, 02:39 PM
page 79..
http://tinypic.com/6jq6w8.jpg

sandragonfly
07-01-2005, 02:40 PM
page 237..
http://tinypic.com/6jq738.jpg

sandragonfly
07-01-2005, 02:42 PM
and I thought this was a cute one too -- I had that quote under my signature for a while not a while ago. too cute.

I'll be back later! the stories/pictures are always lovely. :)

page ..uh-oh.
http://tinypic.com/6jq7f7.jpg

jesse_3
07-06-2005, 03:04 PM
I almost posted that one on here! Everyone else, come on, we need a little more happiness on this page. BELIEVE me! I know how horrible it is to loose a pet you loved, but, hey, now they are all once again happy and healthy:) I hope that we can all share wonderful memories of our RB pups, and rejoice in them.