PDA

View Full Version : Help! Plz asap!

slleipnir
01-22-2002, 06:18 PM
My dog ate a turkey carcus, shes find now, but will it splinter in her digestive track?? Plz help if you know i dont want anything to happen to her!! I'm not 100% sure she ate, but it's gone and my dad doesn't remember throwing it away. It was just the bones and stuff. Thanks

slleipnir
01-22-2002, 06:33 PM
I just called my vet, he said that it may or may not do anything (I thought i'd post this incase someone else has the same prob) It could take 10,20, or 30 hrs to do anything. She could become constipated, stop eatting or in pain. He said if this happens, to take her in for an exam and she'd probably need surgery :'[ I hope my baby is ok..i'm like crying now..I know she'll like be ok, but I don't want her to have surgry. We she was home from being spayed she was so afraid of the vets! I don't want her to be in any pain! I wish she'd just be good and stop doing bad things like that! If dogs could talk then she'd know i'm only trying to help her :[ :[ :[ I should be studing for a stupid test tomorrow but right now I don't care. I'll probably fail anyway.

AmberLee
01-22-2002, 06:54 PM
Dear Audry,

You sound very worried. Hope things work out okay for you all. Although there could be problems, it's quite possible nothing will happen. Just keep giving your fur-baby lots of attention in case of change. (And wouldn't it be ironic if your dad did toss the carass absent-mindedly?)

Which dog do you suspect, Josie?

{{{Audry and her fur-baby}}} Many warm wishes to you both.

slleipnir
01-22-2002, 07:05 PM
Thank you Amber. I am very worried about her. I know she'll most definitly be ok, but theres always a chance. I just couldn't forgive myself if something happened to her. She's my life and I love her more then everything i own, and anything in the world. Well family is close too. hehe. I know it was Jo, Ruf is to small and old to jump the high. She does stuff like this sometimes. I HOPE my dad threw it out, but he says he really doesn't remember and it would probably be in the bag he threw the other stuff in when he was cleaning up a bit. It wasn't in any of the bags I could see, but it soo doesn't make sence. The stool was in the way, and theres a bag of the organs still there. It was closer then the bones. Another this is, I can't find a mess anywhere, unless she licked clean all the stuff she picked off.

Karen
01-22-2002, 07:23 PM
Watch her carefully, but I'll tell you one reassuring thing: the St. Bernard we had when I was in high school once ate an ENTIRE chicken that had been thawing on the countertop when I was home by myself with her. I went in to take a shower, and when I came out, my mother had come home. She said "where'd you put the chicken?" and I thought SHE had put it somewhere, because there was the nice, clean platter sitting on the counter. Only upon closer examination to we realize that there were a couple of dog hairs stuck to the platter ...
and guess who didn't eat much of her own dinner that night! (I think the humans ended up having pizza.)

slleipnir
01-22-2002, 07:46 PM
Thanks Karen :] That does help. But I think it's only cooked chicken/turkey thats harmful. When it's cooked, it splinters. It didn't splinter on the way down, so i'm hopeing it won't on the way out. She's not acting like herself kinda now, I don't know if shes tired or what. I look out a feather; she likes to play with it. She didn't seem to really care for it today. I held it to her and brushed it on her nose like I always do, and she just sat up and looked at it.

RachelJ
01-22-2002, 07:52 PM
Audrey, I can't tell you how many times the ppl (you've got me using some of these contractions;) ) on this board have been through a worry like this. There is no way around it, you will worry until you realize she is going to be okay. One thing you can do in the mean time is to watch her when she poops and then check her stools. This will help in two ways. First, it will determine straight off if she is having difficulty defecating and if she did consume a whole turkey carcus, there would be bits of bone showing up in the stool. I don't know how old your dad is but presuming he is heading into middle age, it might help you to know that as one ages, the memory is the first thing that isn't quite what it used to be. Translation....it is very possible dad threw it out and just doesn't recall. Most of these situations turn out okay, but if you note physical changes in her eating or defecating or as the vet says if she seems in pain, then take her in. In the mean time, we'll keep her in our prayers.

slleipnir
01-22-2002, 07:56 PM
Thank you Racheal :] I think she'll be ok too. Theres always a possiblity. If you knew me well in RL you'd know how I worry about even the stupid things i shouldn't. My dad always tells me it doesn't do any good but still. Yeah, he's getting there lol. I shouldn't be talking about his memory going, cause i'm probably worst! :o

joycenalex
01-22-2002, 07:59 PM
two years ago alex the wonder dog partially ate an old wooden spoon that had been used to stir beef stew; he "borrowed" it to lick the meat juice off and got carried away and got several good crunches and pieces in him before i caught him 'redpawed'.
i was frantic. the er vet gave me the same advice i bet your vet did, watch her carefully, make sure she's having normal bowel movements, bring her in asap if in pain or non productive vomiting or staining to have a bowel movement. the sleepiness may just be from an extra big meal...(i wonder, do dogs get sleepy from turkey the way we do?) best wishes joyce and alex the wonder dog, king of counter-surfers

Gepansy
01-22-2002, 08:37 PM
I hope everything is ok....
Let us know soon.
Warm wishes to you and your furbaby,
Alyssa
;)

AmberLee
01-22-2002, 09:08 PM
I don't know if Audry's reassured, but I've treasured the messages you've all posted. Much luck to Josie, the sleepy wonder-dog and her worried mom!

kobieeli
01-22-2002, 10:29 PM
I'm keeping good thoughts for your furkid--I'm sure she'll be okay. I know exactly how you're feeling, 'cause about 6 months ago the dogs got into the garbage and completely ate up about 12 chicken drumstick bones (the cooked, dangerous kind of course). I can't tell you how sick with worry I was for a day and a half, but K & E ended up just fine! Every burp or strange noise they made, I'd be practically in tears I'd be so panicked; I watched every potty they did too. I can laugh about it now, but I was a wreck when it was going on! And all that worry for nothing!

Keep us posted :)

purrley
01-23-2002, 07:34 AM
I swear these doggies will eat ANYTHING!!!! My Chi likes to eat the lint and bits of carpet, then she gets sick with a frothy drool. She'll eat the cat's puke too (yuk!!!!). Thank goodness she doesn't eat her own poo, at least not yet. She eats the cat's poo though if given a chance. She's got her nose down sniffing all the time, just like a live vacuum cleaner.

slleipnir
01-23-2002, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm sure she'll be ok now. Shes fine today. The vet said it might take like..20-30 hrs before it starts, but she seems ok. She ate my bros chicken wing bones b4 and was fine. He always leaves his crap on the floor!! It's annoying cause he knows it could hurt her. He's older then me by 4 yrs and i'd sware you'd think i'm old by description. Anyway, not important.

tatsxxx11
01-23-2002, 04:10 PM
Oh Audrey! I just caught up with this post. Poor sweet Josie. And you! Star did that once. She grabbed a whole chicken carcass out of the trash compactor in a FLASH when I turned my back. There was NO WAY I could get it away from her before she quite a bit of it!!:eek: Like your vet advised, it was just a matter of watching and waiting. Not easy I know!!:( Please give Jo a hug from us. Paws and fingers crossed that all goes well the next or so! Love, Sandra

AmberLee
01-23-2002, 05:53 PM
Just checking in to verify that Josie is feeling her prime again.

The panics associated with being parent to a fur-baby! :rolleyes: :eek: So glad to hear she is perking up.

Albea
01-24-2002, 12:13 PM
Naughty little Josie!
It's good to know that you are perky and not showing signs of your latest escapade. Just don't scare your mommy again by eating bad things. ;)

jennifert
01-24-2002, 01:50 PM
Audrey, How is Josie and the turkey carcass? (That reminds me of that cartoon "Josie and the Pussycats"! :D You probably don't remember that but you might know the movie?
Anyway, how is she? How are you? How did you do on your tests?

slleipnir
01-24-2002, 02:17 PM
Jen, Thanks :D Hehe, Jo is fine, looks like there won't be any signs of something bad happening. I haven't took my exams..YET..My 1st 2 are tomorrow :( English, and Bio. Urg! I'll be the happiest person when there all oveeeeer! Jo needs to go to the HS for a run! I haven't had time latly :[ She looks like she needs a good run :[ Speaking of test, I should probably go study. -sigh-