PDA

View Full Version : Got any Kids? Not FurryKidz

Accord
04-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Hey I have a 2 yr old, and Im struggling on potty training. I can tell she's ready but I dont know what advice works best. Just have her follow me to the potty? both of us at the same time??? What works? I want to stop buying diapers so bad! Thank god I only have one kid. HELP!

wolfsoul
04-30-2005, 01:02 PM
I say, let her run around naked sometimes. Girls HATE the feeling of pee running down their legs, which is why they are so much easier to potty-train than boys. :p I'd also ask her when she has to go potty every ten minutes. Does she have her own little potty? You should sit her down on her own potty when she is watching TV, and praise her when she goes.

shutterbug0303
04-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Accord - funny enough, potty training for kids is just like for puppies. They must "try" and go VERY frequently!! Like every 15 mins to 1/2 hour. Ask her if she needs to go and then tell her to "try". Sit for a few minutes. If no results, try again in another 15 mins to 1/2 hour. Each time she does go on the potty, make a HUGE deal out of it and give her a special "treat". Soon, she'll get the hang of it. But expect accidents for the first few months. Always sleep in diapers, but while awake, try regular underwear or the training diapers. Patience and consistency is the key. Oh, and I like Wolfsoul's idea. Little girls don't like that feeling for sure, so give it a shot :D A little nakedness will feel good anyway! lol :D

Oh, and having her own potty is a great help!! You can put it in front of the TV so it won't be so boring for her. And definitely let her come with you to the bathroom. She'll get the hang of it quickly

Accord
04-30-2005, 02:15 PM
Ok Ill try that... Yes shes got her "princess" potty trainy thing. It makes noises too

Bubblehead1123
05-01-2005, 12:54 PM
My sister has three boys... a 4 years old a 3 year old and the youngest is about to turn 2(shes been buying diapers for 4 years :eek: ).... believe it or not I have alot of experience with babys... shes is still trying to potty train the 3 year old... waht she does is she always asks him if he has to go and when he wakes up from naps and stuff and when he goes to bed she puts him on the toilet... she said "you always have to be watching him."

Suki Wingy
05-01-2005, 02:51 PM
my two year old sister gets to wear special Dora the Explorer underwear if the uses the potty.

crsvstang
05-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Well I haven't really started to potty train my youngest yet. I started my oldest when she was around 2 years old. I just asked her if she had go potty and put her on her potty. I would set with her for few minutes and sometimes she would go and others she would not. I think letting her go bathroom with me helped out alot also. When ever she did go "potty" I told her what a good girl she was. Finally she got the idea and told me when she had to go.

luckies4me
05-01-2005, 05:48 PM
I was going to post a thread similar to this a few weeks ago. My son Dylan, age 3, just went poopoo on the potty for the first time last week! :D I don't think you can rush a child when it comes to potty training. I let my son decide when he felt he was ready. Pushing them too much can make things worse and take much longer to potty train them. My son goes to the bathroom reguarly at daycare, it's just a challenge at home. And we started "teaching" him once he was a year and a half. Constant trips to the bathroom with mommy. I think what took him so long to finally pee is Dan was always too emberassed to have Dylan in the bathroom with him. He doesn't pee standing up yet, he cradles the seat. ;)

Also it's good to teach them now that they need to wash their hands after going to the bathroom.

luckies4me
05-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Also a good rule of thumb is they are NOT ready to be potty trained until they stay dry at night. If they are still peeing during the night it's a little early for them to get the hang of things, but of course you can always practice a little.

Accord
05-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Wow, lots of experinces, and worth the tries... I have gotton ALOT of books... Maybe some of them you guys may have heard... Wanna know what they are? Read below:
Vicki Lansky's Practical Parenting-Toliet Training
Nathan H. Azrin PHD and Rich M Foxx PHD: Toliet Tranning in less then a day (sounds weird huh?)
Linda Sonna, PHD: The Everything Potty Traning Book

Hopefully that would help... Read some stuff and learn from you guys too

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
If they are still peeing during the night it's a little early for them to get the hang of things,

I do agree with everything the others posted. But not with what Cass said (sorry, Cass, not meaning to offend you :) ). Both my kids were using there potty all day from age 3, but they needed diapers at night till they were 7 :eek: . Both had a medical problem: my son slept to deeply, and my daugher needed surgery. So,please don't wait to start the training untill they stay dry at nights; there might be a fysical problem if that goes on to long... . Of course they have to want it themselves, that is so true!

buckner
05-02-2005, 03:55 PM
I'm sorry I have no real advice on this situation, but I wish you the best of luck!

I don't know how my brother was potty-trained, but I know that I was never potty-trained. One day, while I was in the nursery at my daycare, Miss Caroline (my "teacher") just put a new diaper on me and I quickly tore it off and put it on backwards. She proceeded to fix it, and I promptly tore it off again. We went through several rounds of clothing me and unclothing me. She finally decided it wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have a diaper on after all. Mind you, I was only about 1.5 years old, if even, I believe. When my parents arrived at the daycare to pick me up, Miss Caroline informed them that I was having troubles keeping my diaper on. When we got home, they tried putting my diaper back on and I said something alone the lines of "I don't want a diaper!". I had decided for myself that I didn't want to wear those nasty and itchy things any longer. I potty-trained myself. Since I was the queen on the house, they respected my wishes and that was that.

My suggestion is just let her do it on her time. Heck, I wasn't even at the normal potty-training age, and I KNEW I didn't want a diaper any longer. Just like how I knew I didn't want a bottle or a binky.

Suki Wingy
05-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Maya & Inka's mommy
I do agree with everything the others posted. But not with what Cass said (sorry, Cass, not meaning to offend you :) ). Both my kids were using there potty all day from age 3, but they needed diapers at night till they were 7 :eek: . Both had a medical problem: my son slept to deeply, and my daugher needed surgery. So,please don't wait to start the training untill they stay dry at nights; there might be a fysical problem if that goes on to long... . Of course they have to want it themselves, that is so true!
Same with my seven year old sister who is still getting over it. She had an infection and just now at seven is using a buzzer system to hopefully wake her up when she starts to go.

Accord
05-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Suki, How does this buzzer system work? Tell me about it. Sounds new and interesting

kimlovescats
05-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Try setting her on a potty chair and turning on the running water ... she should get a little chill, and then well maybe a little tinkle too!!!:eek: :D

Accord
05-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Kimmy, Ill try that

Suki Wingy
05-07-2005, 07:25 PM
I'm not really sure how it works, but it is only when that becomes a big problem, like when they're had an infection and they are a lot older ,like 7.

Corinna
05-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Well my kids have been potty trained for a while. Boys all most always take longer. My daughter was ready a 16months took 1 day. Just took her in to her potty every 15 mintues and making her drink more than normal so she had to go. Then made HUGE deal about it and gave her M&M's (faviorite candy) Also we chose pretty big girl undies togeather .Made her feel like it was her choice and she was in charge of her own potty habits.
My son took a while he was 3 before pee training happened . He still has a bowl problem (medical condaiton Next treatment is a colstomy, trying a couple more things first)

Accord
05-15-2005, 02:37 PM
I have been encouraging tazsie to the potty, she is doing pretty good, but she hasn't really made it happen, she would pull her training diaper down and sit. When we have a movie going, the potty is in the living room. So everyday she sits on it and watches the movie, she doesn't wear diapers at times when I feel I dont want to change her... but to get her to experience weirdness of drippin wet pee down her legs. She is doing really good.