PDA

View Full Version : tooting (for lack of a more appropriate word)

weeze
01-22-2002, 01:00 PM
My cat Minnie has been "tooting" something awful lately. :eek:
It is so incredibly bad that it stinks up the entire house. I am not sure why. We haven't given her anything unusual to eat but I know it must be something she's eating. I wonder if I should switch her to dry food completely. Right now she gets a bit of both wet and dry foods. Anyone have any suggestions or share this experience?

Weeze

Pam
01-22-2002, 01:53 PM
I haven't had a problem with either of my cats in this area. One of my former dogs had a bit of a gas problem and the vet suggested a change in diet. We switched to Eukanuba at his suggestion and it cleared up. Maybe Minnie just needs a change in diet or even a change in the brand of food you are feeding her right now. My cat both eat IAMS Less Active.

AmberLee
01-22-2002, 01:58 PM
When I first got my boys they had an odor problem due to this -- it turned out to be an intestinal parasite problem. Doesn't sound likely for your girl, unless she got outside somehow???

Good luck.

Former User
01-23-2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by SpencerTheLion
...one of these days, someone is going to put out a mint-flavored pet food...

Oh, yes please!!!!!!!!!!!!! After eating fish, the breath Casper and Kitty has is.... got no words for it....

purrley
01-23-2002, 07:03 AM
:D :D Casper - luckily cats don't lick your face like dogs do.
I'd try a change of diet to try and solve the tooting problem. My cats aren't too bad at this, but on occasion one or the other will "cut the cheese" a good one:D :D . Oh also, I'd keep an Air Freshener on hand.

AmberLee
01-23-2002, 03:29 PM
Good thinking, Chuck/Spence, never thought about fast eating. Used to joke that my fur babies were "little furry pirahnas" the way they'd attack the food bowl and inhale -- used to take bets whether they could finish the serving before the bowl hit the ground.

:rolleyes:

I did love their kitten stage, but there were some traits I'm thrilled they've out grown!

:D

zippy-kat
01-23-2002, 10:39 PM
Our kitties don't have that problem, but our boxer....WHEW!!!! She can CLEAR the room! :o :o :o

fairlady68
02-07-2002, 08:06 PM
Yes, my Julie passes gas from time to time. But then I read that the average human body does it up to 14 times a day so I forgive her! Lord knows I do it enough myself.

But, you are right, those cat atmospheres are pretty pungent.

cr7clark
02-15-2002, 10:04 AM
You may want to try some of the remedies that Drs. Foster and Smith offer on their website at
drsfosterandsmith.com
I haven't tried any of them yet, thank goodness Miss Bo is a lady when it comes to "off-gassing".... but our old orange boy could really let a few that smelled like something had died!!
Drs. Foster and Smith are two vets with a great website and catalog that has hundreds of handy things for cats, dogs and other pets.

wolflady
02-15-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
Our kitties don't have that problem, but our boxer....WHEW!!!! She can CLEAR the room! :o :o :o

LOL LOL Is this a Boxer trait?? I swear, a friend of mine's boxer back in Indiana had the WORST gas ever! LOL LOL

I know that sometimes wet food can cause stinkies. I can't say from experience as I don't feed wet food on a daily basis. My boys really aren't that stinky, and I feed Iams less active as well. The Drs. Foster and Smith Website was mentioned and there are some items there you may want to try to control 'gassy' cats! One of them is called Curtail and you can find it at:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=1&pCatId=3537

There are some other aides for elimination and digestion that can be found at:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/sc_view.cfm?siteid=1&pCatId=1960

Good luck!!!:D

momoffuzzyfaces
02-15-2002, 06:35 PM
When my cat, Luke, came to live with us, I almost named him Odie... short for Odoriferous! :eek:
I couldn't believe one little cat could make such a big bad smell. Once he was indoors and on a steady diet of cat food, he has straightend up. Once in a while, for old times sake I guess, he still lets it rip. Do you have any house plants that may be getting nibbled? Good luck! :D