PDA

View Full Version : So... I bought a laser pointer... Now what?

elminster20
04-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Yup, as you can probably guess from the title, I finally found a laser pointer for my boys. I've been searching for something that will interest Don, get him moving and playing more, I thought maybe the laser pointer would do it. They watch it, they sometimes amble after it... But I can't seem to get them to chase it, play with it, anything... Any ideas beyond my boys are just.... Lazy?:)

Thanks all!!!!!!!

The things I do for my boys...:)

kittycats_delight
04-29-2005, 09:27 PM
I hate to tell you this but laser pointers can be dangerous to cats. It can damage their eyes and can even cause blindness. And that doesn't just mean if it shines in their eyes apparently even indirect contact with the eyes can cause damage. I'm really sorry.

catmandu
04-29-2005, 10:39 PM
I didnt realize,taht,and the Princess,used to chase,after the Laser Toy,that I got at the dollar store,a long time ago.I hope,that I somehow did not blind my Little Girl,although I lost the toy ,a few years ago.

kaoK'okung
04-29-2005, 10:52 PM
a flashlight is what i used to use for shy, but after i shut it off she would continue to intensely look for that light, so i stopped because i felt guilty when i would shut off and she would run around house lookind for that beam of light...

elminster20
04-29-2005, 11:04 PM
I don't shine the light on them of course, there's a fairly clear warning about that on the packaging. They're chasing it around a little bit now, so every once in awhile I put a treat somewhere on the ground and shine the light on it. They pounce, they get the treat, the game continues. Nothing fast paced, they more.... amble, but they're walking around and staying out of trouble, which works for me:)

QueenScoopalot
04-30-2005, 08:24 AM
My herd goes berserk over the laser toy, especially when I run the beam up the wall, and across the ceiling. I'm very careful to not shine it in their eyes, or across areas that the beam can bounce off of, such as shiny surfaces. Feather wands, and "Cat Dancers" are also a big hit around here. :D

sirrahbed
04-30-2005, 08:43 AM
My vet suggested that we get one for *plush* kitties:rolleyes: - added the warning about don't shine it in their eyes (or anyone's eyes) but otherwise safe and FUN:D

It did take a few tries but now they love it. Try having it amble along a wall or hallway and flick your wrist to make it flutter like a bird or bug. If Bob and Don are like ours, they will soon start tracking the toy. They like for it to really wiggle fast:D

furrykidsmother
04-30-2005, 02:55 PM
Our 4 just love it. You are correct not to shine it directly in their eyes or for that matter anywhere near their eyes, but as long as it stays ahead of them it shouldn't cause a problem. My hubby loves to play with the laser with the 4 kids. Rusty is a bit of a tubby cat so it is good to see him run around after it. The walls (not to far up) and when it hits the door they just love it. Occassionally, they actually "catch" it, but can't seem to understand why they can't grab it! Soooo much fun to watch. In time tyour boys will probably enjoy it. Ours are also easily enthralled by a sunbeam bouncing off one of our watches, same type of thing, they chase, but can't catch it.

Felicia's Mom
04-30-2005, 03:04 PM
My Felicia loves the lazer pointer. Beau sits there like he dosen't even see it.

chocolatepuppy
04-30-2005, 03:21 PM
I was gonna get my kittys one but fear I might accidently shine it in their eyes. Knowing my two they'd probably sit and look at me like I was an idiot! :rolleyes: