PDA

View Full Version : Dirtnap is sleeping

Scooby4
04-29-2005, 03:26 PM
I finally put Dirtnap to sleep today. I never had a dog put to sleep before. It was VERY fast and he rested comfortably. He passed away as I petted him.
I did give him a bath yesterday so he was clean and somewhat primped. Gave him a last walk around the front yard which he always got to see from the front window. I think he sensed something and seemed to accept it. He had never wanted to take off walking when I had him on the leash before. I usually had to "guide" him or get him started. He took off this time leading me around the yard!
His real name was "Nicky" before I adopted him a few months ago. I changed it so I wouldn't get attached to him. His original owner was in a wheelchair and had to move in with her son's family. They couldn't keep him and was going to put him to sleep. I told him I would adopt him instead. After he arrived I realized he had some severe health issues. He had cataracts, mostly deaf, couldn't eat, arthitis, and had an old age spot on his head. My other dogs didn't even want to play with him.
However, I got attached to him despite everything. I got his ears cleaned out so he could hear better. Wiped his eye that always oozed for him. (He loved that). Got his arthritis to relieve by giving him more exercise. Was able to help with his teeth so he could eat better. He was getting quite playful and we had our own game of "Booty-Booty Tail-Tail". We'd chase eachoter around a wall in the house.
I am going to miss Dirtnap. However, I know it was the best for him. I told him that he would get to play with angels now. I think he liked that. God Bless you Dirtnap and take care!!! Love Ya my "Smiley Boy"!:(

PJ's Mom
04-29-2005, 03:33 PM
What a great story. It sounds like you gave Dirtnap a wonderful, loving home.

Play hard, Dirtnap. You deserve it.

LorraineO
04-29-2005, 05:24 PM
His last days sounded wonderful, thanks to you.... do you have pics of the sweetheart we can see?
Rest East Dirtnap

Scooby4
04-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Sorry no pics of my baby boy. My best friend borrowed my camera for the birth of her child and lost my cable to download pics to my computer. I feel like a bad momma for not having pics!
I didn't want to mention this in the other rooms but I am also giving up Benji my Border Collie. She was also adopted by me shortly after Dirtnap came into our lives. My father and step-mother found her and kept her. They couldn't keep her anymore since they moved and had to keep her locked in a kennel. I have a big fenced in backyard. However, Benji is a farm dog and not a city dog.
Unfornately, I lost my job a few days ago. I can't afford to keep all 4 dogs and a cat. A friend of mine has agreed to take in Benji. So I will be down to 2 dogs and my cat. It was a HARD decision to do this and I am completely heartbroken. However, I know it is for the best. Knowing that I did get Dirtnap to a point in his life where he was the happiest is the best thing I could have hoped for.
Thank you for your concern and wishes. Dirtnap is an angel now and I am sure he is up there playing with everyone else's angels as well!!!

luvofallhorses
05-02-2005, 10:12 PM
I am so sorry for your loss:( and NO you are not a bad mom for not having pictures((((((((hugs)))))))))

Sudilar
05-08-2005, 10:45 PM
RIP Dirtnap. Play hard at RB now.

ramanth
05-09-2005, 10:11 AM
So sorry for your loss. :(

jesse_3
05-11-2005, 12:19 AM
Do not worry, you are not a bad mommy for not having pictures of Dirtnap. R.I.P. Dirtnap, I'm sure my little Jewel can show you around and be your buddy!
I'm am so sorry for your losses, just remember, atleast he was more comfortable at the end of his life and it would have been unfair to keep him much longer. You did a graceful thing for him, you gave him eternal life.:)

CagneyDog
05-11-2005, 06:26 PM
RIP Dirtnap. Play hard at the RB.