PDA

View Full Version : Office Kittens

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-29-2005, 10:32 AM
About 10 years ago now, my boss was next door in what we use as a storage area. He heard this noise and when he went to investigate, he found a crinkled up piece of plastic with 3 tiny baby kittens on it. Mom was nowhere to be found, but we figured she was near because the babies looked pretty healthy - and sounded pretty healthy too. We could not figure out how she had gotten in because the doors are locked at all times and she had to be coming and going to get food. I was all gaga over the kittens, but left them alone because I didn't want to scare her off. Everyday I would go in and see them and, as happens with kittens, the next thing you know their eyes were opening and they were starting to toddle around. Every morning when I got to work I would go in and visit and it got to the point where they would hear me come in the front door and be meowing their little heads off for me to let them in the back door. I couldn't leave them in the office overnight first of all because mama kitty wouldn't be able to get to them and secondly because we have the alarm with the motion sensors and they would have set that off. Anyway, soon enough they were eating kitten food and "helping" me all day in the office. We never did see mama kitty, and we never did figure out how she was able to come and go. :confused:

There were three kittens, two little gray tabbies and one orange tabby. The orangie was snapped up right away by my boss's sister-in-law for her son so that left me with the two little gray ones - a little boy and a little girl - thus, there names. Little Boy and Little Girl. I know, real original :rolleyes: but I didn't want to get too attached. I had T & P in my small studio apartment and couldn't take on anymore at the time. We eventually found a home for the little boy - a friend of another my boss's sister-in-laws and I was left with the little girl for awhile. I figured it would be hard to place her because she had litter box issues. The litter box was in the bathroom, but she would always do her business in the shower - not too much of a problem for us, but a big potential problem for new owners. Turns out that after the little boy was gone, she started using the box more. I think he was intimidating her when she was in the box, so she went behind the shower curtain so he couldn't see her.

We did find a good home for her too, eventually, and I was sad to see her go because I loved having her in the office with me all day. But it was not a good life for her being closed in the warehouse space all night and only having me and attention 8 hours out of 24, so I knew I had to let her go.

The only one I've been able to keep tabs on is the little orangie because I've seen the sister-in-law at family functions throught he years. She says he has grown into a huge lovable orangie and is living the good life. I sure hope the same is true for the other two. They would be about 10 years old now, but to me they will always be kittens because that's how I knew them.

I only have 4 pictures of them and for some reason I was only able to email myself 2 of them so here those two are, and I'll post the other two when I get home tonight.

Little Boy in Front and Little Girl in back.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid166/pbbb03ef982c83e6da1fec94b1d612293/f44d2fd6.jpg

Little Girl using Little Boy for a pillow.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid166/pa9832e97ee09a08715eb3305576a007a/f44d2fd3.jpg

kittycats_delight
04-29-2005, 10:39 AM
How sweet are they. I really hope they have had a wonderful home life. They look so sweet and lovable.

cubby31682
04-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Awww. They are so cute. It would be hard for me to let them go as well. Atleast you get to hear about one of them. :)

kimlovescats
04-29-2005, 10:46 AM
What a sweet story, and happy ending!

NOW .... would you just go out and get yourself a baby kitten!!!!:rolleyes: It's obvious you aren't going to get over your cravings until you do!!! :eek: ;) :D

Kim

Randi
04-29-2005, 10:56 AM
They are SO cute! :p I bet they were happy to have your company in their childhood - strange you never got to see the mom.

I too hope the tabbies have a wonderful life in a loving home. :)

A sweet story, thanks for sharing.

Felicia's Mom
04-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Adorable kittens and I hope the all have a good life. When I saw the title I thought the cats lived in the office.

slick
04-29-2005, 12:37 PM
AWWWWW, this is just too much sweetness for one thread. How nice of you to rescue them.

I just love that pic of the snugglies on the chair. :)

momcat
04-29-2005, 06:16 PM
What a great story! They are soooo cute. It made me think back a few summers ago. My son was home from college for the summer. When I got home from work one afternoon I heard a small noise around the porch and found that a baby kitten, who couldn't be more than a few weeks old, had fallen into the window well of the basement outside. Hard as I tried, he wouldn't let me pick him up to get him out. My son came out, took one look at this little sweetie, went right back in the house to get him a dish of milk then went to the corner and got some cat food. The mommy was nowhere to be seen and we couldn't just leave him. Mike and I wondered if he was just lost or maybe abandoned by his mommy. We fed him every day hoping mommy would come back for him but no such luck. We named him Sebastian and being animal lovers got attached very quickly. After a few days, when Mike would sit out on the porch, Sebastian would climb out and sit with him. Funny thing though, Sebastian wouldn't come if anyone else was around. He let Mike pet him and at times would curl up in his lap. Well, end of summer and Mike had to go back to Rhode Island and back to college. What Mike didn't know was I had decided to keep Sebastian and when I got back intended to take kitty to the vet and adopt him as our own. We left on a Saturday and I got back on Sunday. When I went to the window well to check on him, Sebastian was gone. I was devastated, I loved the little guy. For several weeks I kept looking for him around the area and was forever looking into the window well but no Sebastian. All I can hope for is that he found himself a good home where he will be loved, cared for, and happy. Still think about him and wish he stayed.

catnapper
04-29-2005, 06:47 PM
What a fabulous story! I'm in love with those little kittens too. You did a great job with your first rescues!

catmandu
04-29-2005, 09:10 PM
I will never forget,the time,when I worked at a Tire Place,and Kevin,the warehouse manager,brought in a box,with 7 Kittens,and a Mother Cat.The Mother Cat,was so thin,and the Kittens were so beautiful.My Friend Norma,adopted the big Tabby Kitten,taht she called Dennis,and Today,he is a Magnificent Big Boy.I am just sorry,that I didnt adopt,that poor Mother Cat,and give her,the home,that she deserved,after taking care,of her babies!Thats great,that you were able,to get those Cats,thier Good Homes,and I will have,to look,for that Photo,of Normas Cats,to post.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos728.jpg