PDA

View Full Version : Help - enducing vomiting?

catnapper
04-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Yuck... Pouncer was my hero this morning. He captured and ate a big black bug. And has been vomiting it back up all morning. He's STILL trying to vomit, and its now only coming up as foam. Ok, that part is starting to scare me. He's also doing EVERYTHING he can to get his paws on photos (QSA's explanation of how it must feel good to them makes sinse now) he even started licking the ones I have pinned to the tackboard - and he's NEVER done that before. He WILL NOT let me hold him right now.

Can I give him anythign to help bring up what isn't cmoing up? I've never had to enduce vomiting on a cat before, but the foam only part is really starting to scare me, because I heard its not good.

Lacey
04-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Yipe! Poor Pouncer! No clue how to induce vomitting in a cat. Though I think I remember hearing somewhere that swallowing a little hydrogen peroxide will do it.

kittycats_delight
04-29-2005, 10:06 AM
I really don't know what to tell you about inducing vomitting. I have never had to do it either. I know my dog used to make himself sick by eating mice. I know strange dog. He used to actually mouse hunt in the garden and it always made him sick and vomit. He used to vomit several times and he also used to vomit foam. The first time we seen these we called the vet as we were scared as well but the vet said it was nothing to worry about. He say simply put "the dog had expelled the item they was making him vomit but the feeling was still there so there was nothing left to vomit." Kinda like us when we get sick and vomit but there is nothing in our stomachs. All we get is the icky yellow stuff. Same concept atleast that is what our vet told us. But if you are really worried call your vet and get their opinion. It's always your best bet.

kimlovescats
04-29-2005, 10:07 AM
Hydrogen Peroxide is what does it ... but I think I would ask my vet before giving it to him!!!! Good luck!

edit: You might be best just getting a handful of good 'ole grass from the yard!;)

catnapper
04-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks! I do remember being told Peroxide induces vomiting now - I was using it for Allen's chin and they said not to because he could vomit after I cleaned him.

I will hunt down the harness and take Pouncer outside this afternoon- gotta run to a meeting right now. Lordy knows what I'll find on my return. He must have eaten some food while I was in the shower because when I got out, there's a trail of vomited food down the hallway and steps :rolleyes:

Poor fella. :(

Felicia's Mom
04-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Cats sometimes vomit after eating grass. (lawn)

jazzcat
04-29-2005, 11:38 AM
They said what I was going to say - grass. I grow it for Jazz because she loves it but if I forget and leave it down too long Ripley will get into it and then vomit - always!

If you give Pouncer grass from your yard makes sure it hasn't been chemically treated recently (weed and feed).

jenluckenbach
04-29-2005, 01:42 PM
I was told to give a tablespoon of peroxide to induce vomitting. BUT cats resist vomitting and it will sometimes not work. I was also told that it needs to be within an hour of when they swallow whatever it is that you want to bring up.

catnapper
04-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks everyone! I called the vet, and for once they didn't insist I bring him in. They said to remove all food and water and keep and eye on him. so far, so good. At least on the Poucner front. Harry on the other hand is VERY upset that there is no food. He's been SCREAMING his handsome head off for the past hour. :rolleyes:

jenluckenbach
04-29-2005, 02:08 PM
Harry might STARVE! :eek: He'd better come to visit me. ;)

catmandu
04-29-2005, 02:16 PM
The Found cAts,do that ,with the Hair Balls,qwhen they do sort,of a Dry Heave Cough! When Pouncers tummy,has had enough,the Bug,will come out!I could pst my Photo,if that would help.It always makes people ill.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture048.jpg