PDA

View Full Version : Long Gracie update!

cubby31682
04-29-2005, 08:05 AM
A couple of weeks ago my mothers boyfriend was here for family issuses. He noticed a few scraps on Gracie's back legs. I seen them but thought nothing of them since she fell off the deck a few hours before. Well he pointed out the other leg as well. Both legs had the scraps. Which I didn't realize. So I went inside grabbed the phone and called the vet. They set up an appointment, and told me to come in and get some medication. So I drove down there and got the medication no problem. It was a spray that would make her not want to chew on them. It was very bitter stuff. Well I got to spray her once on each leg with the stuff. As soon as hubby got home I told him what was going on. By that time is was time to spray her again. It took all 3 of us to hold her down. Even then we couldn't get it right on the sores. So we tried again, which that time it turned into a failed attempt. Later on that night we had to try again, we got one leg sprayed again but couldn't get the other one done. Well this went on for 4 days before the vet could see her.

Finally the day came that we had to take her in. We gladly took her in to see what was wrong with her legs. The can't figure out what happened, so they gave us some antiboitics, and told us to put triple antibiotic ointment on the sores. She is still on her pills, and we have to hold her down to put the cream on her too. I have tried to put the cream on her when she is laying next to me on the couch but it's a no go. I've tried to do it while she is laying in the big bed. Nothing not even a drop can get on her with out her freaking out. So we have givin up on the cream and will take her back in to the vets after she is done with her pills.

We also had the Bark Busters come out to help train her. They were here for 3 hours one night. I never knew how smart Gracie is. He explained how to do things and would show us. She would do it right away for him. So I figured once we tried she wouldn't do it again. That was not the case. As soon as we took over to try it, she was perfect. Corey (hubby) and I were the ones messing up the whole time. The only thing that took more than one try was her laying down in the kitchen when someone knocks on the door. That one took us 10 minutes alone to get her to go there without moving. Hubby and I have to work with her for an hour a day to perfect the training. She now knows: heal, come, sit, stay, lay, not to chase the cats, not to bark at nothing, stay in the kitchen while some one is at the door, and to be good during car rides. The Bark Busters will be coming out again on May 18th for more training outside. They also want to teach us how to walk her on a lead without having to say heal over and over again. Now that we have been working with her on all of the training, I don't even say heal anymore. To go out the door so she can go outside, she sits right down now and I don't have to tell her too. She will no longer push her way through us to get what she wants. We are now the leaders in the family, and are the aware ones. Her energy level has gone down due to the training. I called them and asked why that is. They said because we are making her think for one, and she is no longer in charge and have to warn us and be the leader of us anymore. She can calm down and pass the leadership to us and enjoy life as a dog now instead of as a leader.

I am so proud of my girl. I can't believe how good she is. I know she has had a rough 3 weeks but she is a shining star. We have realized that everything she was doing before that would drive us nuts, was all our fault. She was trying to warn and protect us. Now she is just happy laying next to us and getting her belly rubbed. I didn't know that she could be this well behaved. Lol. She is my baby and I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world. I think that's about it for the Gracie update.

Oh I'm sorry I don't have any pictures. I tried to get a few over the last few weeks but every time I tried her fear of the camera would make her run and hide in her cage. :(

cubby31682
04-29-2005, 10:14 AM
bump

robinh
04-29-2005, 10:36 AM
I am so glad to hear that Gracie is doing so well. I think I need to take "me" to a trainer. Sounds like I may be making some of the same mistakes.
:eek:

Keep up the good work - all of you.
:D

Jadapit
04-29-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm sorry about Gracie's legs. I hope they feel better soon. Thats so awesome that she has come so far with the training. I bet you are all a lot happier.:D She sounds like a very special dog.

LorraineO
04-29-2005, 11:08 AM
shes probably freaked about her legs due to her past.... Happy as can be to hear things are going your way!!1 WOOHOOO!!! :)

Glacier
04-29-2005, 11:29 AM
I hope her legs are healed up soon. I'm thrilled to see such a positive update on her! Good girl, Gracie!!!

shutterbug0303
04-29-2005, 02:55 PM
This is just so great to hear! I was wondering how Gracie was doing....I'm glad the private training sessions helped so much. I really want to do that with Sahara but there is no one close....

Anywho, I hope you can get some new photos of the gorgeous dobie girl soon!!!! You are so wonderful for taking her in and working with her!! She really is becoming such a wonderful part of your family!