PDA

View Full Version : Question about Frontline

stacwase
04-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Three days ago, I put Frontline Plus on Max. Yesterday, I found two engorged ticks. Are the ticks supposed to fall off after the Frontline application, or does it just prevent more ticks from attaching?

I'm wondering if I need to apply more. It says to only do it once every 30 days, so I'm hesitant to reapply it. However, it was left over from last year and I'm wondering if it's not working because it was old.

Any knowledge you can share?

Bigyummydog
04-28-2005, 06:50 PM
good question....i've always wondered how that stuff works....we use k9 advantix....

MariaM
04-28-2005, 06:55 PM
I don't know, but I wouldn't put another one on him. Maybe some others will have better advice.

KYS
04-28-2005, 08:44 PM
I think the tick has to bite and than die?
I would not use another frontline either.
Their should be a contact number on the box
so you might want to call the manufacturer or
your vet.

I think I would not wait for them to die and remove
then carefully with a tick remover or tweezers
making sure you get the head out.

Good luck, ticks are nasty. :(

stacwase
04-28-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the advice, KYS. We did remove the ticks as soon as we saw them. I was just wondering why they were there, two days after I had already applied the Frontline. They were still alive.

Good idea about calling the # on the package. I never would have thought of that.

I do get Max a Lyme vaccine every year, thank goodness. It's due again in June. I hope it's still working!

I didn't realize ticks were out and about this early in the year. That was the last dose of Frontline I had. I ordered some for Max, Aspen, and Toby and gave Aspen and Toby theirs today. Aspen just got her second Lyme shot a few weeks ago (the first year it's 2 shots). She had a big tick on her today.

The ticks are just terrible up here, and Lyme is rampant.

aly
04-29-2005, 12:42 AM
I believe Frontline kills ticks within 2 days (fleas within 18 hours) of application. Maybe they were going to die soon. I'm not sure what could've gone wrong since Frontline seems to do a good job usually. I wouldn't give him another dosage. If you don't see better results by tomorrow, I'd call them and ask what to do.

MariaM
04-29-2005, 12:45 AM
I've probably said this before..but.,..

Last April Major had fleas and we gave him Revolution from the vet. She said it should work within 2 days, but it didn't. It took almost a week, but it did work. Maybe it's just taking a bit longer since he's a big dog? Maybe that doesn't have anything to do with it, I'm not really sure.