PDA

View Full Version : Has anyoen ever had a manicure/pedicure?

Sirrahsim
04-28-2005, 05:46 PM
I'm getting a mani/pedi today and haven't a clue about what the heck they do. All they told me was that it would take about 1.5 hours and cost about 4600 yen ($45).
What do I do? WHat do they do? Should I go in wearing sandles? Do they apply nail polish for free? Or would that be extra? Any help would be appreciated:D :D I just have to have pretty feet if they're gonna be up in a doctor's face soon while I'm having my baby!!:rolleyes: :D :D

catnapper
04-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Ooo, only had one pedicure in my life - for my wedding. It was DREAMY. The massage your feet with a scrub, then sand off all the hard icky stuff to make your feet silky smooth. Smother them in rich lotion. They soak your feet in a marvelous bubble bath (all in some order, not sure which) Its just heavenly. Lastly, they put polish on your toes. :)

neko1
04-28-2005, 07:35 PM
I've never had a pedi, but I have a gift certificate for one. I have horribly ticklish feet and I'm so afraid that when the girl starts touching them, that I will kick her!:o

mina'smomma
04-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Missy,

You will love a pedicure. They are wonderful and so are the manicures. Lee Roy treats me to one about once or twice a year. Normally they apply the color at no charge, but I don't know about over in Japan. Let us know how you like it ok? I think you'll feel like you're on cloud nine.

joycenalex
04-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Oh my gosh, i LOVE getting pedicures and manicures. the place i go here will massage your forearms,hands, legs from the knees down, feet and ankles. they will rub off the dry parts on your feet, smooth the nails (BTW the polish is included here) trim them and is it sooo relaxing. you will love this. if you are ticklish, tell her , and she can work around it. geez, i wish i could get one soon...sigh

Sirrahsim
04-28-2005, 09:40 PM
ohhhhhhh this sounds so great:D :D :D Now I'm even more excited!! It's 11:40am now and my appt is at 1pm. How will I ever last until 1??:D :D

mina'smomma
04-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Think of the pretty color you'll want on your toes. Have fun.

GraciesMommy
04-29-2005, 06:03 AM
I love them! Nail polish should be included in the pedicure.

I dont have my nails done since i have long nails myself and give my own manicures..but I have and I love them too, I just think I do better than they do..lol

sasvermont
04-29-2005, 07:37 AM
There are good manicures and pedicures and bad ones. Ask around. Try to find a place that has a chair that has the foot whirlpool attached. The chair vibrates while the water pulses on your feet. It is heaven. I just has a p/m last week. I usually go twice a year, right before summer and then in the dead of winter.

catnapper
04-29-2005, 07:50 AM
So how'd it go?

persianmom
04-29-2005, 07:56 AM
So how was it? I've always wanted to have one but really have a hard time having someone touch my feet. Hope it relaxed you and now your feet will be pretty for the doctor. Yea

RobiLee
04-29-2005, 08:49 AM
I have had a pedicure before and I absolutely loved it! It felt so good. It was very expensive though and I didn't think it was worth that kind of price. If I had that kind of money I would definitely have it done on a regular basis. My feet sure could use it.

I'm curious to know how much everyone pays for their pedicures. Can you let me know?

Sirrahsim
04-29-2005, 09:20 AM
ohhhh it felt soooo good. I'm came home as relaxed as a wet noodle. It didn't even tickle my feet like I thought it would. It was definately worth it to go even though the HEATER is stuck in the *ON* position and it was 89 and humid today:eek: :( I paid $45 including the tip for the whole mani/pedi combo. I now have cherry red toenails and pale pink fingernails:D :D

RobiLee
04-29-2005, 09:23 AM
Sounds wonderful!

If I remember right. I paid $60 dollars just for a pedicure :eek: If I could find some place that charged 45 for both the manicure and pedicure. I would definitely be there.....lol.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-29-2005, 09:39 AM
I usually get a pedicure a couple of times a year - mostly in summer. $45.00 for both is a steal, especially when it includes the tip!!! I pay $40.00 for a pedicure alone, but it's like SAS said, the chair that vibrates with heat, the whirlpool bath for your feet, the massaging...aaaahhh....I've got an appointment tomorrow for my first one of the season and I can't wait!

I never get manicures because....well....I guess basically because I can't be bothered with them. They don't last near as long as pedicures do and it's just such fussing all the time. I prefer my nails short and I do buff them now and then to make them nice and shiny.

Glad you enjoyed it and too funny how you say "I just have to have pretty feet if they're gonna be up in a doctor's face soon." :D :D

Cataholic
04-29-2005, 10:18 AM
I can't live without my pedicures! Manicures are okay..but, I am too rough on my hands to make them worthwhile. I can't ever hold still for the 45 minutes it takes to let the nail polish 'set'. I used to have weekly manis done, but, quit that a few years ago. With Jonah, I just ask her to cut them short, which she does, gratis.

As for pedis- I go about once a month, I pay 28, plus tax and tip, for a 'spa' ped. The only thing I don't get, which is really nice, is the paraffin wax dip. THAT is heaven. This place doesn't do it, for some reason. My person is lickety spit quick, I take Jonah and he charms the ladies, and I am in and out under 45 minutes (at my request).

I am very tickleish (how do you spell that word?), too, and I jump when she de-gunks my soles. Oh well, it is still too worth it.

Go in sandles- I use cheap, cheap flip flops!

Glad it was a nice treat for you.

slick
04-29-2005, 12:14 PM
I've never been into the whole "paws and claws" thing. I don't wear makeup, I don't wear nail polish and I don't colour my hair.

Do you think maybe that's why I can't find a date??:D :rolleyes:

Cataholic
04-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by slick
I've never been into the whole "paws and claws" thing. I don't wear makeup, I don't wear nail polish and I don't colour my hair.

Do you think maybe that's why I can't find a date??:D :rolleyes:

Nope. I do the paws and claws, wear makeup, get highlights in my hair, AND I don't have any dates...he he he.

Edwina's Secretary
05-02-2005, 01:13 PM
where there is one or two nail salons in every strip mall. I get manicure and pedicure...vibrating chair, massage, etc.... for $40...which includes one extra....I prefer hot oil.

Weekly for nails (in very light color I can maintain) and monthly for the feet....bright fun color. Nails alone is $12 plus tip. Only downside is communicating with the nail technicians...they are all Vietnamese and often speak VERY little english.

I doubt if I can get today but tomorrow for sure. Supply and demand...it's a wonderful thing....;)

shais_mom
05-02-2005, 05:21 PM
I have been getting regular pedis since November and actually skipped last month and am biting at the bit for Friday to go! I have to work 3rd shift this whole week and will be going without sleep but I really don't even care!

My pedi is 26. I usually give them $30. I even have my mom going and she NEVER did anything to her toes or fingers.
I have extremely dry feet. I sometimes get woke up at nite with my feet cracking and drying out unless I slather on a thick lotion. This has helped them beyond anything I can describe.
I have never had a manicure I am way to hard on my hands also to be worth it.
I like nice bright colors on my toes. The last one I had was mood changing polish. When my feet got cold it lightened, and when they were were - it got really dark orange.

*LabLoverKEB*
05-02-2005, 06:24 PM
I just recently got a pedicure, a french! It felt sooo good!;)

popcornbird
05-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
where there is one or two nail salons in every strip mall.

So true!!! My dad can't help but laugh whenever he passes by the MANY nail salons, and sees tons of women getting their feet/nails done. He's like, ''Now why would anyone want to beautify their FEET?'' Men...:o...'sigh'

I'm trying to convince him that women like to be beautiful from head to toe. He he he!

jennifert9
05-02-2005, 07:20 PM
LOVE pedicures! I had my first one about 2 years ago and am addicted now! Unfortunately, I consider it a luxury and since we are trying to save, save, save...I only get them in the summertime.
I will treat myself to a manicure once my nails get long enough. I've been trying to stop biting them.

Glad you enjoyed yours! Isn't it fun being a girl!!

joycenalex
03-31-2007, 09:57 AM
it's time for my first pedicure of the spring/summer season. i'm going to a wedding tomorrow and wearing peeptoe heels and i want to look nice. anyone else doing this soon? winter feet...ugh

shais_mom
03-31-2007, 10:14 AM
I had one back in Feb and am due anytime. My cousin is getting married in May and I'm maid of honor so I'll definately have one before then!!!

Sirrahsim
03-31-2007, 10:43 AM
ohh a pedicure sounds soooo nice :)

Craftlady
03-31-2007, 11:32 AM
I treated myself to my first pedicure. It was wonderful :) :)
There is only 1 gal in town that does pedicures and she happens to work at shop I go to :)

RedHedd
03-31-2007, 11:55 AM
I do my own; always have. It's a relaxing ritual. I do my manicures every week. Pedicures last longer so I do my toes once or twice a month. I couldn't stand the thought of someone else doing my nails, not knowing where those instruments have been or who's been soaking in the water. Nu-uh. I've heard way too many horror stories about infections and such. I feel I do a much better job anyway and like doing it.

*LabLoverKEB*
03-31-2007, 12:08 PM
YES! And I absolutly LOVE it! Glad it was fun for you!

BitsyNaceyDog
03-31-2007, 01:34 PM
I love pedicures! My sister is an esthetician so I get pedicures for free! I'm getting one next weekend and boy do these sore, swollen, pregnant feet need it.

Taz_Zoee
03-31-2007, 01:58 PM
I use to get a pedi once a month during the summer months. ((not anymore :()
Now I'm lucky if I get one once every 6 months. LOL

The first time I got one I was nervous to have someone touching my feet. But the girl who did it was a good friend and I'd known her since she was 11, so it wasn't so bad. Now it's no big deal to me......and it's nice and relaxing.

Edwina's Secretary
03-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Here in SoCal pedicures are a year round activity. I get mine done once a month or so. It just amazes me....$30.00 includes soak, massage, paint and....the special design painted on the big toe! It changes with the season...Christmas, 4th of July....etc. Although I have yet to see anyone with a turkey painted. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Barbara
03-31-2007, 02:52 PM
I had the only pedicure in my life when I went to visit E's Secretary in Southern California last year. We had flowers painted on our toes and they lasted for months ;)

RedHedd
03-31-2007, 03:59 PM
Although I have yet to see anyone with a turkey painted. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D Is that a dare or a yet? :p

Cataholic
03-31-2007, 05:23 PM
I need one...maybe tomorrow! The place I go to is open Sundays. I had black halloween styled cats painted on the big toes two times ago. I loved it. Now, with the possibility of wearing open toed shoes to work, I might have to skip the cats.

cassiesmom
03-31-2007, 09:14 PM
I have a friend who had a pedicure when she was very pregnant and couldn't reach her feet :)

Sirrahsim
03-31-2007, 10:29 PM
I lost contact with my feet a few months ago :rolleyes: Rumor has it they are still down there somewhere!! :D

Edwina's Secretary
03-31-2007, 10:46 PM
I was chatting with a woman this evening who is staying at the Montage...a lovely but VERY expensive resort in Laguna Beach....she is there for a corporate event. I don't know how pedicures came up...but she told me they charge $80.00 plus tip....and she didn't even get flowers on her big toes :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (she was wearing sandals...)

For manicure and pedicure....$125.00...and I bet it is the same women who work in the salon where I get a pedicure for $30.00! :D :D

Sirrahsim
03-31-2007, 10:51 PM
That is crazy!! I think it's about $18 here on base... That's what I've heard anyway.

Sirrahsim
03-31-2007, 11:12 PM
I feel the need to add that the typo in the title of this thread bothered me when I posted it 2 years ago... and still bothers me now :rolleyes: :D Too bad it won't let me fix it!!

gini
04-01-2007, 12:19 PM
There are so many nail shops in the heart of Los Angeles that prices are very competitive. It used to cost $17. for a manicure and pedicure. Then the price went to $22. Now it is $25. plus tip.

With the price increase they have added hot towels to warm your hands with lotion - your hands feel great.

Almost all of these shops are run by Vietnamese and they talk back and forth between themselves in their native language.

There is a really funny video out of a comedian telling you what they are really saying.

They also give great neck rubs for an extra $10.00 - well worth it.

Edwina's Secretary
04-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Almost all of these shops are run by Vietnamese and they talk back and forth between themselves in their native language.

There is a really funny video out of a comedian telling you what they are really saying.

That is what we fought over there for isn't it? Cheap manicures? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I would love to see the video as I do wonder...

When I first started going to the salon here I noticed all the technicians have "english" names. The one doing my toes was called "Wanda." I pondered for a while and then, since she speaks more english than most, I asked how they chose the name? Same phonetics as in their native language? Nope. There is a big box with name tags in it and they choose one! :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

Randi
04-01-2007, 01:03 PM
I used to go and have my feet done every 6-7 weeks - I agree it's wonderful, but I can't afford it anymore. My fingernails I keep short, I can't stand them being long.

sparks19
04-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Never......

Up until 6 months ago I bit my nails... BADLY. Now I give myself my own French manicures :D

Although as for Pedicures..... I have heard that in the later stages of pregnancy pedicures and foot massages should be avoided as much as possible as the stimulation may cause contractions and false labour. I read that in my big RULES manual the Dr sent me lol.

I have never had a pedicure either. I do my own and my hubby massages my feet for me :D lol poor guy

caseysmom
04-01-2007, 01:22 PM
There are so many nail shops in the heart of Los Angeles that prices are very competitive. It used to cost $17. for a manicure and pedicure. Then the price went to $22. Now it is $25. plus tip.

With the price increase they have added hot towels to warm your hands with lotion - your hands feel great.

They also give great neck rubs for an extra $10.00 - well worth it.

There was a seinfield episode about that it was hilarious, Elaine hired a translator to go with her and found out they were talking about her...it was so funny.

gini
04-01-2007, 02:31 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I would love to see the video as I do wonder...

:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

I will try to find it for you................

gini
04-01-2007, 04:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsWrY77o77o

I found the video for you all to enjoy. I have talked to the woman
who does my nails who is Vietnamese and we have laughed about it.

Edwina's Secretary
04-01-2007, 08:41 PM
HYSTERICAL...why did it have to end????That is sooo the SoCal experience...(except I don't want to be difficult so I just keep nodding.....and so I get the Hot Wax...)