PDA

View Full Version : How did you pick your cat/cats?

NoahsMommy
01-21-2002, 02:46 PM
How did you pick your furbabies? Did you get them at a pet store? Someones home? Rescue? Where? How?

We got Noah from a co-worker who had two cats that both had litters within a month of eachother. Noah was from the second litter. When we went, we knew we wanted an orange and white tabby. We were sitting on the couch, surrounded with kittens hiding, playing, eating and sleep. Noah was the only kitten that jumped onto the couch and sat right beside me. He looked up at me and said "meow" and then looked back down and just layed there. I knew he was MY choice!

As far as Noel, we got her a PetSmart from the "Life Rescue" group. When I saw her little body in her litter box at the back of her carrier, I melted!! She was so cute, but looked sad in her cage in a stange place. She really didn't want to be held, but I knew she was OUR cat.

thelmalu99
01-21-2002, 03:18 PM
I decided to adopt another cat about two weeks after my Charlie passed away last July. I started looking at shelters on the Internet at work, and after looking at many, many pictures, I came across the picture of Elvis. I thought he was really cute and looked so sad in his cage that my heart just broke. I kept looking at pictures of other kitties, but I found that i kept going back to him. I was in love. I called the shelter and found out where they would be showing him that evening. The day dragged from that moment on, and I kept fearing that he would be gone by the time I got there! The second I saw him there, I immediately told the woman that I was interested in him. During the interview process, the woman told me that she always prefers to place at least two cats in the same home. She told me that the other kitty in the cage with Elvis was also a wonderful little guy. Danny was a small orange ball of fur, curled up sleeping sweetly in the corner of the cage. I tried to resist him, but it proved impossible...I ended up bringing him home, too! Needless to say, I'm so happy that I did!:)

Former User
01-21-2002, 03:20 PM
We already knew for a while that we wanted cats but normally we aren't allowed to keep cats in this studio. Fortunately, when we asked the owner, she agreed! :) And so we asked around and found that a colleague from work knew someone who had kittens (well, her cat did, LOL). So we went to have a look. She had a litter of 3: 2 tabbies and one black one (the mommy was a tabby and the daddy was black). The decision was made quickly of course, and now Casper and Kitty are here with us. Their sister was adopted by the woman's mother, so there's no need for us to feel guilty about not taking all three :)

ramanth
01-21-2002, 04:00 PM
You asked for it......

Sable, our very first ever cat, adopted us. He was the neighborhood stray, abandoned by his previous owners who moved without him. He went from house to house and just like "Lady and Tramp", he had a name for every place he stopped. When we built our house out there in the country, his wandering days were over and he stayed with us. He was about 7 when we made him ours.

We decided Sable could use some company and so Nike came into our lives.

Sable died at the age of 15 of cancer. Nike was depressed and a woman my mom knew had taken in a female pregnant stray. The mom died after the litter was born. Mom said we could get ONE kitten. Riigghhttt. Reebok and Converse were the last remaining kittens that needed homes and I mean.. hey! They were brothers. We COULDN'T seperate them. ;)

So we had the Shoe Trio. Nike, Reebok, and Converse.

Nike died tragically, the day before my birthday. Chance was a cardboard box in front of the grocery store giveaway. The last one in the box and the runt of the liter. A co-worker grabbed him and gave him to me. RIGHT IN THE STORE while I was working.

Dad took Nike's loss very hard and said, "Fat chance you'll get to keep him." when I brought Chance home. Well... I think you can figure where he got his name. ;)

Scooter was given to my dad by me and my sister when we saw him at the farm.

Onneka was a stray that ran out in front of my car last year. I went over him but missed him miraculously with the tires. Onnekas is the Finnish word for 'lucky'. :D

And that's my cat history. :)

yorkster
01-21-2002, 04:32 PM
Such good stories everyone!

Kedi (M. Coon/Himilayen mix) adopted me. A co-worker brought him in to work and handed him to me. He was a pathetic sight: 5 months old, skinny, dirty, big scratches all over his face. He had been abused, and someone had burned-off his whiskers! :mad:

Well........he climbed up on my shoulder and hooked his paws around my neck, then purred & purred. I took him to the vet on my way home, then picked him up the next day and brought him home. When I gave him a bath, he turned-out to be a cream color with orange markings on his face and tail. When he gained weight and was cleaned-up, he turned out to be a VERY beautiful cat with deep blue eyes.
I call him the ugly duckling who turned into a swan! :rolleyes: ;) :D

He is also just as loving as he is beautiful. Someday soon I will learn how to post some pics!

LoudLou
01-21-2002, 04:45 PM
I rescued Mocha Bean, when I worked at a Drive-Thru Espresso stand. A guy drove thru and said he had broken up with his girlfriend and her Siamese had kittens...she took her cat, left him with the kittens:( Well, he said he had two in the truck but I only saw this teeny tiny blond one (He was taking them to the animal shelter) and he defintely was not cat people material so I took her home, hence the name Mocha Bean....Two years later I figured she needed a brother so I went to the shelter and got Garbonzo Bean. He is a Seal Point Birman that someone left on the street because he had extra toes and wasn't properly marked. Their loss MY gain. They are The Beans they RULE the house and help keep Louie in line.:D

NoahsMommy
01-21-2002, 05:19 PM
These stories are so touching....I love them!!

michelene
01-21-2002, 05:46 PM
Buster and Purrdie (black and white cowcat brother and sister) came from next door, where they shared a heated pen outside with the big dogs. (Originally they were farm cats who were a birthday present to the little girl next door, who dressed them up and pushed them around in doll carriages.) In the early spring of the next year, both kitties came over to visit and we gave them treats to reward them for their chipmunk and squirrel hunting. Purrdie had a litter of four kittens and Buster adopted us while she was busy with the babies. Buster would climb the screens of the low casement windows and ride the screen down to get in. ("Buster, you can't do that.") The lady next door graciously allowed us to adopt Buster after we had taken him to the vet twice after fight injuries. Purrdie joined us on the Christmas Day after she was spayed. She meowed to come in as it was snowing. The people next door were headed out to another state and said she would be ok in the pen with the dogs. We left her on our sofa. A few days we got permission to adopt her.

Spot and Tiger (dark gray-tan tabby brothers) showed up in our back yard one September afternoon. They begged for food and didn't leave. There were no lost cat signs, so three weeks later they went to the vet for testing, shots, and fixing.

Samantha (tortie, RB) showed up one November night when it was raining and 34 degrees. She was wearing a flea collar but begged piteously for food and shelter. We put a disk on the collar with our phone number and the message "stray?" After two weeks of no notices or phone calls, we discovered she was living under the tarpaulins that cover our lawn mowers and moved her into the basement. A week later we took her to the vet for testing, shots, and spaying, and let her board at the vet clinic over Christmas with Purrdie.

wayne0214
01-21-2002, 07:02 PM
Snow Tiger is the only one of my furkids that wasn't born into this bunch. It was on the 26th of October last year, a Friday night, that I decided to go out for dinner to a Chinese restaurant -(good stuff!). While I was wating for my order, a teen-aged girl came in to the restaurant carrying something in an old shirt. There were only 4 people in the establishement at the time and the owner was in the back cooking. (I know he would have asked her to leave because it is illegal to bring an animal into a restaurant) This girl went from table to table asking the people something. When she came to my table, I saw that she had a 2 1/2 month old kitten wrapped up in the old shirt. She asked me if I wantd the kitten. I noticed right away that he had gray ears and that his coat was icy white. Of course I wanted him! Not because of his colors but mostly he was a kitten who needed a home. The girl also said that her dad told them to get rid of the litter that day. I asked if she had others, to which she replied, No, that they had all been given away, and this was the only and the last one. I didn't have a box or carrier with me, so she said she would return in about 15 minutes. She did, with a cardboard box and the kitten in it. I brought most of my ordered meal home with me and my new kitty. He cried a bit while in transit. But when I got him home and let him out of the box he sniffed around a bit and then made himself at home almost immediately. Then he found the cat food and nearly ate up a half bowl of dry food. Appearently, they hadn't fed him most, if not all of the day, and he was a hungry kitty. And the rest of the story is about the usual adjustments to be made for a kitten.

.............wayne:)

tuxluvr
01-21-2002, 07:11 PM
About two years ago, a coworker of mine announced his family cat had kittens. He worked outside my office door and pestered me every day about adopting one of the kittens.

I told hime I was only interested if there was a black and white, preferably tuxedo markings.

He and his wife sent me digital photos of the kittens, then only about 5 days old. Alas, no black and white kitty. There were a couple of yellow and white tabbies, a grey and white and a grey tiger with white feet.

Not really sure if I was ready for pet ownership, I opted to decline adoption.

About 6 weeks later, my spouse decided we needed to adopt a kitty, since I was longing the loss of a neighborhood kitty that used to hang out on our deck. When our neighbors moved, the kitty went along. :(

I mentioned at work I was ready for a kitten, and my coworker brought up the subject of his kittens. He had one left, and she was weaned, litter trained and aside from being the runt, was a nice kitty. I asked what color and he said "black and white"...remembering the kitten pictures, I was puzzled...

Long story short, Ritzy's "tiger fur" grew into the black and white tuxy girl we know and love. They sent me a picture of her, and I just melted. I would have loved the tiger stripes too, but I have always been partial to the classic black and whites.

Logan
01-21-2002, 10:45 PM
Mimi, my dream girl, came to me when I was grieving over the loss of Shrimp Boat (long story). My husband would have done just about anything to make me happy at that point. A girl at my work had kittens at her house, products of a brother /sister mating :eek:, but I didn't care, because I just wanted a new kitten, and I would have her spayed as soon as possible. I adopted six week old Mimi, without ever seeing her in advance. She's here today at 12 1/2 years old, and I will never forget that first day when my employee's husband walked in with that little fluff ball, pink bow and all. I melted, and still do everytime I look at her. :)

http://www.photogra.com/galleries/34799/curr/7403347_20020121_191641_20020121191641.jpg

Butter found us as an adult cat. He's been here a year now, and is quite comfortable in our home. I wish you could "train" a cat. I am getting ready to start trying to acclimate this cat to me, so he won't be so fearful and play so rough. He's a tough cookie, but I do love him so much. This is his home for the rest of his life. I just wish he could be as loving as Mimi. Perhaps in time, he will be.

http://www.photogra.com/galleries/34799/curr/7604166_20020121_191709_20020121191709.jpg

C.C.'s Mom
01-22-2002, 05:11 AM
All those heartwarming stories...

We lost our 18 year old tabby the month that we finally bought a house with garden for her so that she could go out. We burried her under the tree in our new garden and the week after we moved in, we thought it was time for new cats to live with us. We went to the animal shelter, who didn't want to give cats to people who had no other cats in their home (ridiculous of course; the shelter has a new management now). I contacted a woman who has a private animal rescue organisation and she asked me over to see the cats she had. There were about 12 of them, all friendly cats that anyone would take and normally the cats didn't stay long with her because she always finds a new home within a few weeks.
But... there was one huge cat sitting in box somewhere in a corner. Two big green scared eyes looking at us as if we were there to hurt him. It was a male cat, found on the streets as a kitten, living in several animal shelters ever since and nobody who wanted him because he was so big and so shy, scared afraid of people. He didn't like other cats either, and was about to loose his lust for life by refusing to eat. The woman and I talked for many hours, and she said she wanted me to adopt Rudie. After I agreed to give him a chance, she said he had one little friend. A petite female tabby that an old woman brought to her the week before, who was fearless and somehow became friends with him. I thought it was better to get both of them so that he wouldn't be so lonely.
At home, the female cat Eddy simply took over the house the minute she came out of the cat carrier. Rudie didn't. He lived under the guestbed for many months until he finally accepted me (not his daddy).

Now he's a happy cat, running around the house, playing with the butterflies outside, coming when I call him, cuddling when we both need it, and simply being a great cat. Eddy's still the same, bossy and fearless. Rudie still adores her.

We're so happy to live with them!

yumyum6970
01-22-2002, 06:45 AM
My husband and I adopted Yum Yum at the local animal shelter. They thought she had been hit by a car and we felt sorry for her she was very cute. Our other cat Dutchess we saw an ad for in the newspaper. The lady was giving away a couple of her cats because she was moving.

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

Maresche
01-22-2002, 07:05 AM
My brother gave Terra to me as a "moving away present" when I left home to move to Cleveland. My kitty at the time, Misty, was getting on in years and wouldn't adapt well going from a 4-bedroom house to a 1-bedroom apartment. My mother volunteered to keep her at home. My brother knew I'd be lonely without a cat (I'd always had one), so he gave me Terra about 2 weeks before I moved.

About a year after I moved, my hubby and I decided that Terra really needed a friend (she was getting really destructive when hubby and I weren't home). That same week a co-worker announced that she had found this pretty white odd-eyed kitty out in the country and that she was looking for a home for her. I checked with hubby and we brought her home the next day. She was in really bad shape and the vet didn't think she'd make it (she didn't tell us that until after she was recovered). But now Misao is fat and happy and well loved.

About a year after that, hubby and I moved into a house. We had been volunteering at a local humane society for about a year and the entire time we'd been there, so had this cat Hemlock. Hubby and I talked about it and decided that once we moved we'd bring Hemlock home with us if she was still there. Well the time came and she was, so we brought her home and renamed her Hana (Hemlock is no kind of name for a cat :rolleyes: )

It seems we're developing a trait of adopting a cat every October...I wonder what this year will bring.

thelmalu99
01-22-2002, 10:36 AM
All of these sweet stories are bringing tears to my eyes! I think it's so cool when people adopt cats that are no longer kittens. When I decided to adopt a new cat, I told myself to focus on a cat that was no longer a kitten, as kittens have a much better chance of finding a home. At petfinder.org, you can fill in the approximate age of the pet you are looking for, so I put in "young" (I think that means appx. 2-5 yrs.).
Elvis was also an "unwanted" cat because, besides already being about 2 years old, he had a crooked leg and paw, perhaps from an accident or from previous abuse. :mad: I didn't even know this when I fell in love with his picture on the website. When I noticed his leg, it only made me want him more. Fortunately, his leg doesn't seem to cause him any trouble, and he runs around and jumps just as if nothing has ever happened to it. :)

thelmalu99
01-22-2002, 10:42 AM
You can see Elvis' crooked paw here: I have moved my pics to photogra, so this should work now.

http://www.photogra.com/galleries/35225/curr/7127551_20020125_162258_20020125162258.jpg

NoahsMommy
01-22-2002, 02:40 PM
Thelmalu,

That is so sweet! I am sure Danny and Elvis are lucky to have you! Many people wouldn't want :mad: Elvis with his paw crooked. (meanies!) I am so glad you got to take him home and he is happy as can be!

libracats
01-22-2002, 09:23 PM
I have been allergic to cats all my life and never thought I could have one. I had been told that bathing a cat may help with allergies so......about 4 years ago a co-worker asked me if I wanted a kitten. He told me she was about 10 months old, black and was the last one left of a litter that had been born in a nursery from a feral mom. She had the litter in a flower pot. I called my husband and we decided to take her. The next day he brought her to work in a cardboard carrier. I opened it up and she looked up at me with the biggest lime green eyes that I'd ever seen. I thought she was the most beautiful kitty. We named her Vienna(a Libra city),even though she is a Tauras. She was a little feral when we got her but now you'd never know it.

Pippi,My Abyssinian I found while doing some work in Long Beach,CA at someones home. I was outside and looked up and saw,on the other side of the iron fence to the next property, a spunky kitten prancing around. She saw me and stopped, so I ran into the house for some cat food. I tryed to give her some, she didnt want it. She looked so skinny so I decided to pick her up to look at her. Well, she was covered with fleas, had bald spots all over her fur and her eye was half closed. I decided to take her home. I found out after rescuing her that she was unfixed, about 5 months old and had Giardia and Tape worms. She, too, took some time before she truely comfortable. She is 4 now and very bonded with my husband.

All 6 of my other cats, Bandit, Deja, Chat, London,Paris and Chloe came from my work in cat rescue. I fostered them along with several others for adoption. I just fell in love with them.
Bandit was from a litter of 4(the first litter I ever fostered), Deja and Chat I got when they were 1 week old and bottle fed them, London and Paris were from a litter of 4(I kept 2 this time)
;) and Chloe my husband brought home. She was a ball of fire from day one. She wasn't going anywhere:p

I don't foster anymore
:rolleyes:
I love all these stories:)

shais_mom
01-23-2002, 12:58 AM
LibraCats how are your allergies?

One of my best friends and coworker at the time had taken a brother and sister from her mom's cat.
Kylie is long haired and white and Max was a tiger short haired.
She aquired a boyfriend who doesn't like cats and really didn't like Kylie due to being white and long haired.
Well, one night when Kylie was trying to crawl over his head he threw her across the room.
:mad: :mad:
It came about that while he was there Kylie hid under the bed except to use the litter box and eat. She was miserable b/c he moved in from almost day one. :(
I was thinking about getting a kitten as a playmate for Shaianne. But my friend talked me into taking Kylie. It was a hard adjustment ofr her at first, but she is doing great now. She loves me and I love her.
She has become a different kitty.
Unfortunately I wish there could be a more happy ending but Max mysteriously disappeared one night while "he" was home alone.
I first took Kylie as a temporary basis, b/c she was going to break up with him, but that never happened and now she has another job and they are engaged. I knew after having Kylie for about a month that she was mine to keep, and after Shaianne died there was no way in God's green earth I was giving her up. period. She was a great support thru that time, she is a sweet cat.
I never thought I would have a cat, now I can't imagine life w/o one.

Gio
01-23-2002, 06:58 AM
Well you asked for it...

I won't bore you with the stories of ones that unfortunately are at the bridge right now (:( ) , I will only say that 2 of them were rescues and 1 was given to me by a fried of someone I went to school with.

Maya came to stay with me in August 1987. In June that year my cat Titti died (she was 17) and my other cat Gigio, who was then 15) acted very depressed. Someone told me that in a feral colony there wer a few kittens they wanted to try to place since some were found savaged in the field. They did show me some pictures of the two survivors and told me to chose one (there was someone else interested in taking one). Maya is known as the cat that was chosen out of a catalogue :D . Roughly a year later, my sister who was staying with me at the time (with her two cats) adopted a kitten that was taken in the shelter she volunteers at. She was kit by a car when only 40 days old and left unattended for days. She was in a bad state (I won't get into it, her medical records are much longer than mine), they saved her but she lost part of a front leg (her paw is attached to her elbow joing as her own body expelled part of the bone - I wouldn't have believed that something like this would happen by my sister witnessed it). Prema arrived on Christmas Eve 1998 and by Christmas day my sister lost all "rights" on her. :D Prema and I have this really strong bond (Don't feel sad for my sister, she adopted her third car, another amputee, shortly after she moved to her own apartment :) ). And Finally there is Foxy who turned 6 months old today. As I have written in previous post my parents had to come to live with me due to their ill health and a fews month ago my dad went through a really bad time. Gigio also died around the same time, and my dad took it very badly, so we decided to take a kitten in as Pet Therapy (the cats were the only things my father reacted reacted to). We went to the shelter and got Foxy. His mother is a feral who was having terrible difficulties giving birth so she was taken to the shelter to get some help (everyone, including the mother have found new homes ) ). Personally I would have taken in an elderly or a handicapped cat but since the new addition was supposed to lift my father's spirits we opted for a kitten. Believe me, Foxy worked wonders!:D

Cynthia
01-23-2002, 01:41 PM
OK, here goes. I never thought I was a "cat" person, although a co-worker kept trying to convince me that I was. Meanwhile, I had begun a relationship with a terrific man who had a wonderful Manx cat. He moved to an apartment and couldn't keep the cat...well, by then the kitty (Stump) and I had bonded and you can guess the rest. Incidentally, that was seven years ago, and both cat and guy are still the lights of my life:) And the co-worker still reminds me that I had to be convinced about having a cat!

Emmett was found in a woodpile when he was just a few weeks old by a woman who had six cats of her own and oftened fostered strays. She had occasionally done some pet-sitting for Stump and asked me if he wanted a playmate. I had been feeling guilty about leaving Stump at home all day, so I said ok. That was three years ago, and as I indicated in another post, Emmett is now beginning to calm down and not be so skittish. He is a really sweet cat who loves having a home.

NoahsMommy
01-23-2002, 05:11 PM
Cynthia,

I too, did not like cats until I met my hubby. Now I'm OBSESSED!!! :)

TheAntiPam
01-23-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
One of my best friends ...
aquired a boyfriend who doesn't like cats and really didn't like Kylie due to being white and long haired.
Well, one night when Kylie was trying to crawl over his head he threw her across the room...

I know we talked about Kylie and the wacko boyfriend when you were first considering adopting her, but...

I sure wish that anyone reading this would take to heart the following message: : If someone abuses an animal, it is very likely they will abuse a human. No matter what, neither deserves abuse. Love is never NEVER abuse.

I am so grateful to know the people here at PetTalk are always trying to defeat ignorance and abuse for animals - and their owners!

(thanks for letting me get off-topic and on my soap box)

yorkster
01-23-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by thelmalu99
You can see Elvis' crooked paw here: (hopefully, this will work because my pics are still in Webshots.)

http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v1/1/65/68/23916568eFEIrHRogN_ph.jpg

Awwww Thelma.......I could not see Elvis's picture. For some reason about 50% of pics on the internet won't show up for me. Can I see it at webshots? :confused:

lbaker
01-27-2002, 07:33 AM
I won't even get into my stories of my dear babies at the bridge but my sons kittens (right after he moved back in) will do... He had to leave his home and his cats (wife too but so what) and really missed cats, having always lived with them.. and then we heard through my wonderful vet...WONDERFUL guy...that the horse ranch lady had found a box of kittens in her driveway, no mom...just 3 week old kittens alone:mad: well, she after hand feeding them there were only two left but now little Slick and Baby are with us... typing away on the board and thinking they are littermates with our dogs.

thelmalu99
01-27-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by yorkster

Awwww Thelma.......I could not see Elvis's picture. For some reason about 50% of pics on the internet won't show up for me. Can I see it at webshots? :confused:

Yorkster, I have moved my kitty pics to photogra, so if you go back to my original post, you should be able to see the pic now. :)

yorkster
01-27-2002, 05:22 PM
Okay.....now I can see the pic of Elvis!

I think the crocked paw gives him character!
That is so cool that you adopted him, being an older kitty. :D

Elvis still has 'that look' of coolness going-on. He seems to enjoy the camara too..........

thelmalu99
01-27-2002, 08:09 PM
LOL, thanks, Yorkster! I think he's pretty cool myself. :D

lynnestankard
01-28-2002, 06:33 AM
Aw all these stories - most have had me in tears. Aren't all the furbabies sooooo lucky to have ended with THEIR families?

We had lost our beloved Siamese - Kisi, who is still waiting at Rainbow Bridge. I was missing her so much it hurt.

Then a friend, Alison (another cat person - she has five furkids) was aware I needed to feel needed told me of a co-workers sister (are you all still with me?) had two kittens she wanted to re-home. No reason given.

So we went to see these furbabies and the full story came out - Zoe had had four cats - two lots of brother and sister, when the sister of Dan had been killed on the road - and she'd witnessed it - she was so upset, it was awful. She wanted to keep Dan, thinking he was young enough to become a house cat. The other set of brother and sister hadn't even been named - she wanted them to go to somewhere safe.

We fell in love and two days later Zoe brought them to live with us. They became our beloved Bagel and Ketchum and settled down like they'd always been here.

One month later I received a phone call from Zoe she was crying and so distressed, Since the removal of the littlies - Dan had gone into a decline, now he'd stopped eating and was losing weight. Could I help her?

Of course I could - she brought him straight round to us - such a thin scrawny looking boy I was in tears - last time I'd seen him he was such a healthy cat.

Zoe left in tears and Dan stayed - to become a big brother to Bagel and Ketchum , and regain all his good looks!!!!

Even when they go into the cattery for their holidays - they go into the same house (cage sounds awful).

Every Christmas they send Zoe a card and let her know of all their adventures:D :D :D

I'm sure I was meant to have my three furbabies.

Lynne.

purrley
01-28-2002, 07:40 AM
Spencer (Chocolate Point Siamese) bought him after I saw him at a Cat Show - fell in love with him.

Frisco - (Blue Point Siamese) - bought him from the same lady I bought Spencer from after I lost Kirbee (another Siamese I bought from the same lady).

Panda was a feral stray that I finally got close too, after she was pregnant. She delivered 3 babies a year ago Feb. 24th. Decided to keep her.

Braydee - is one of Panda's babies that I decided to keep. He's gorgeous, looks just like Logan's Butter baby.

Pam
01-28-2002, 07:57 AM
Trevor was smuggled into my home by my son one night as an 8 week old kitten. His friend had gotten him to be a "replacement kitty" for his grandmother's cat who had just recently died. The grandmother didn't want another cat so my son decided we should have a cat! We had two dogs at the time. After introducing him to the dogs slowly they all became one big happy family. :)

Andy was actually found by my mother. She was at a friend's house who was having a yard sale. A woman from across the street walked over to the sale and had a tiny white kitten under each arm. She asked if anyone was interested in giving one of them a home. My mom called me right away and pleaded with me to make the 50 mile trip to check out the little ball of fluff. Of course I did and the rest is history!

sirocco
01-28-2002, 10:00 AM
I'd like to say (I'm afraid I'm getting off the topic, too!) that I strongly agree with you, AntiPam, and I think that someone who shows disrespect (I'm not even talking about CRUELTY!) to animals is not trustworthy. My boyfriend adores animals and is all love and kindness to Sirocco, my own ginger kitty, even though he's fonder of dogs! I sometimes tell him that the affection he shows for animals makes me love him still better! He regrets we don't have a bigger house, b/c then we would be able to adopt a dog... and as some of you have explained, I thought I was a dog person till I had Sirocco, now I know I can't imagine living w/o one (or more!)
And, now... how I got him... I just moved from my parent's place last August and though I never had a pet, I knew it was the first thing I wanted to do when on my own... I was told that some neighbour of a co-worker had just kittens (well, her cat ;) ) and I went and picked Sirocco up (in fact he was the only one who let me do that!) There were 5 siblings, and they're supposed to have a home already, but for Sirocco and a black one who was to stay with my colleague's neighbour. Sometimes I feel a bit guilty,for not having "rescued" a cat properly, though pet shelters here are not as organised as yours and they're plenty of dogs but there aren't so many cats (or naught) I am afraid that when you adopt a kitty from people whose queen has just have kittens, you're just saving the little thing (unless, they're pedigree of course, which wasn't the case!)

The best thing about Sirocco is the way I feel when I look at him when back form work or early in the morning when I wake up.. It "fills" me up with good thoughts and I realise I have to look after him, and that makes me even happier... And I think I stop now, I know everyone of you knows what I'm talking about! :D

auggie
01-28-2002, 08:25 PM
Auggie and Schatzie came from the local humane society.
My son and his girlfriend found Phoenix. He belonged to a litter of kittens someone kept outside and sometimes even kicked. They managed to catch Phoenix. Do you know the old "Mom, I promise to take care of him, if I can keep him"?
Well. it has been 8 years, son got married and moved out. But Mom is still taking care of Phoenix.:)

Ila
01-28-2002, 11:21 PM
We had just lost a very precious 13 and half year old tuxcedo cat named Samantha. I was sdevastated to say the least my husband too. A girlfriend at work told me of this family that has a mother cat who had kittens and gave me her phone number to me. Well this family loves cats she had both the mother and father there so I knew this family took care of there animals. There was six kittens they were all so beautiful I made my husband pick the kitten he wanted. I got all misty eyed and that is how Misty got her name. She is a beautiful cat.

cr7clark
01-29-2002, 07:14 AM
We found Bo over the Internet! Three years ago, we lost our eighteen year old orange tabby male, and we cried for months! It took us another year before we decided to adopt a cat again. This time, we thought we would get two of them, so I began looking on the Internet and found Bo and her daughter Abby for sale in New Jersey. They are pedigreed show cats, but their price was right and we thought it would be different to own a purebred since all we'd had earlier were "Heinz 57" varieties.
We drove out to the breeder's house in NJ and got Bo and Abby; they fit in so well to our household that we found two more Manx over the Internet and soon our household swelled to four cats with the addition of Molly and Gaucho.
Molly eventually went to live with my Mom, she wanted a calico Manx so I gave Molly to her and my dad. Gaucho and Bo didn't like each other, to the point of fighting and getting into pee and poop contests so we returned Gaucho to his previous owner (the same nice lady in NJ). So that left Bo and Abby. Abby got sick last June with diarrhea and bladder stones, and we had to have her put to sleep because our vet tried everything but couldn't get her cleared up.
So now we have Miss Bo, and she is absolutely the best cat we've ever had the privilege of living with. She is a black and white tuxedo Manx, and is wonderfully affectionate and has manners that would make an adult envious. She is especially fond of my husband and has the most endearing mannerisms whenever she's around him. She prefers to be an "only cat" and does quite well with just us in the house. :)

Former User
02-08-2002, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by ramanth
You asked for it......

Onneka was a stray that ran out in front of my car last year. I went over him but missed him miraculously with the tires. Onnekas is the Finnish word for 'lucky'. :D

Hey, cool name!! Lucky cat LOL!