PDA

View Full Version : Need some help, PLEASE... Kimi's incision...

Samantha Puppy
04-27-2005, 08:10 AM
My two kittens, Maya and Kimi, were spayed on 4/21 at 8 weeks old (don't blame me, I didn't adopt them 'til the next day). They were quiet over the weekend but the last two days, have come out of their shells and are a lot more outgoing. Kimi seems to have pulled her incision open a little - it's hard to explain. There are two little flaps of skin pulled apart but you can tell that there is skin underneath of it - it's not like her guts are spilling out or anything. There is a little bit of blood, not gushing and not constant.

Josh put some neosporin on it last night, but other than that is there anything else we should do? It isn't gushing, it isn't open open... it's just apparent that she pulled the incision a little. (Maya is fine.) Is there anything I can do or give her that will keep Kimi a quieter (she and Maya have been wrestling non-stop the last couple days - including last night and this morning - so obviously she isn't in pain)?

I've never had this happen before so any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

catmandu
04-27-2005, 08:14 AM
It sounds,as though you have the situation,well in hand.And I dont know,of anything,that will keep a Kitten,calm,and quiet.Good Luck,to Kimi,and hopefully,her incision,will heal up.

christa
04-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Were they stitched?

I really don't have any good advice for you, except to make a trip to the vet if the bleeding continues (at least that's what I'd do) ~ I'm sure someone here will be able to help you more.

When Josie was "fixed" . . . it was almost as if they closed her incision under the skin and then pulled skin overtop of the incision and stitched that together too . . . it was really strange looking, but she pulled several of hers out and I was so worried that she'd pull the whole thing open . . . but she never did.

Good luck & keep us posted!

Jods
04-27-2005, 08:51 AM
I would just keep what you are doing and keep an eye on it. It the skin is really flapping and you think it won't be able to grow back together get some butterfly tape. Its what they use instead of stiches sometimes, it just holds the skin together. Dunno if they sell it in the states though. If its not bleeding or anything I would just keep doing as our doing. If you are still nervous just call the vet and ask them what to do they will tell you over the phone.

catnapper
04-27-2005, 08:54 AM
Can you call the rescue and tell them what happened? They should offer to have the incision closed again.

Samantha Puppy
04-27-2005, 09:13 AM
I guess I could call the rescue. Hadn't thought of that. I just don't like asking others for anything, even my parents!!!

It's funny, we got them the day after they got spayed but I never noticed any stitches. Their bellies are shaved and there is a definite incision but I didn't see any stitches - that didn't even hit me 'til Christa asked if they were stitched or not. Huh.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-27-2005, 09:22 AM
You could try and put a cone on her to keep her from licking on it. They do sell that tape here that Jods mentioned. I don't know exactly what it's called but the doc told Terry to put some on his incision after he had some skin cancer removed and after the stiches were removed. Ask a pharmacist about tape that is used to hold incisions together and I'm sure he'll know just what you're talking about. The only thing is, I'm sure she will lick the tape off in a heartbeat unless you put a cone on her.

Good luck with her and now....where are new pics? ;) :D

Grace
04-27-2005, 09:37 AM
She probably has internal sutures that will dissolve about 10 days after surgery. Butterfly paper tape might work, but she might then go after the tape, trying to pull it off.

I'd call the rescue people.

momcat
04-27-2005, 09:51 AM
Hi, Samantha! Poor little Kimi. Sounds like you should contact a vet about those stitches. My concern here is your sweet little kitty may risk developing an infection even though the area isn't completely open. Groucho (the kitty I'm owned by) and I extend our best wishes to Kimi and hope the problem is resolved long before you read this. Please let us know how things work out?

catnapper
04-27-2005, 09:59 AM
A lot of the rescues use surgical glue instead of stitches so that the adoptive families didn't have to bring the cat back to have the stitches removed. I'm sure it would be no big deal for them if you asked them to close it back up.... just a dot of glue.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-27-2005, 11:29 AM
I would call my vet and tell exactly what happened. If he is a good one, he will give you advize :) !

kittycats_delight
04-27-2005, 01:36 PM
My Lilith did the same thing after about 4 days....her problem was she wouldn't stop cleaning it and she hated the stitches. Her incision sounds very the same why you decribed Kimi's. I watched it closely for a couple of days as hers was leaking a little blood too but decided it was best to take her back to her vet. They said it was the best decision and restitched the incision. They told me that even though there was a layer of skin already sealed within the incision that it was quite easy for it to get infected with her using the litter box. So my suggestion would be take her to get it restitched. I wouldn't want the little girly to get infected if it was preventable.

Samantha Puppy
04-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Where could I get a cone? The vets around here are kinda shady - if I called to only purchase a cone, they wouldn't give me one without bringing her in.

wolflady
04-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Sorry I'm late, but thought I'd chime in here. At my hospital, we would always recommend to bring your kitty or doggie back in if a suture was puffy, oozing any kind of fluid (blood or other), open or painful.

I think contacting the rescue is a good idea, because perhaps they didn't stich. Surgical glue is likely, but it's worth a shot to double check. If it looks like the incision has opened a little, and if there is blood or anything coming through, I would have it checked by a vet, just for piece of mind.

I hope they heal quickly:)

**hugs**

kittycats_delight
04-27-2005, 01:55 PM
I know most all pet stores carry cones and she would need the smallest they have. I can't remember how the sizes go though sorry.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by kittycats_delight
I know most all pet stores carry cones and she would need the smallest they have. I can't remember how the sizes go though sorry.

Yes, I've seen them at PetsMart although you might want to ask for where they are because I saw them in the dog department. Unless, of course, you want to wander PetsMart aimlessly to see what you can all find there. I tend to do this a little too often. ;) :D

Samantha Puppy
04-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Unless, of course, you want to wander PetsMart aimlessly to see what you can all find there. That's how we endedup with Kimi and Maya in the first place!!!! LOL

cubby31682
04-27-2005, 09:14 PM
I know what you mean. Rachel got fixed and started pulling her stitches out her self. The doc took them out and she was fine. The other day I seen her chewing at her tummy and so I lifted her up and looked. She has the little flaps where the stitches were.. I called the vet and they told me to put some neosporin on it to protect it. Which we have been doing. Hers looks a lot better and I haven't had to take her back in to the vets for it yet. I just make sure I check it morning noon and night. Hers also bleeds if she plays to much with Cubby.