PDA

View Full Version : To dogsit or not to dog sit? long but important

lv4dogs
04-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Uuugghh I don't know what to do? I hate saying no!

My uncle is moving back up here to NY from Florida within the next 2-4 weeks. He will be living with my dad (his brother) until he finds his own place, which he wants to buy. He & I both think that it would take at least 1-3 months.

He has an old lab mix, female spayed, about 13-15 years old. He can not keep her at my dads house and no one else can really watch her either. He loves his dog & does not want to give her up at all.
He wants me to watch her. And I would love to... for the most part anyways, there are a few things though that may be standing in the way.
He & I have talked about most of these possible problems and he understands that if it does not work out I can't watch her but he has no one else that can. (I have not mentioned the housetrained problem with him YET, I will though, but that is a BIG factor in my decision I don't know how to bring it up to him without sounding rude)

First, Raustyk does not do well with most female dogs. Granted she gets along with them more often if they are in my house instead of neutral ground, weird but true. And she does seem to do better with very old or very young female dogs. We won't know if they will get along until they meet. If they don't get along I can't keep her. I have no room to separate them.

Second, his dog is not completely house trained. She can hold it, but not for long. I am gone for about 10 hours a day. Granted I can bring my dogs to work with me, but I can't bring all 3, especially as I don't know how well this dog will handle strangers & strange places. She was abused & kept in a tiny crate for her first few years of life & she CAN NOT be crated, she goes so nuts that she injures herself on the crates. And my house is set up so that I really can't block her off in any rooms with linoleum floor, besides my bathroom, but that is a tiny room & in the summer gets hot in there. I don't have central a/c.

Third, we have NO idea how she will react with my other pets. She does LOVE to chase cats & my uncle says it appears that it is not in a friendly manner either. I have a cat, 5 ferrets & 2 rats & I can't deny them access to their own home.

Fourth, My schedule is a busy one for the next 2 months. I have quite a few things planned & some family issues yadda yaddaa. I'm going on a couple vacations plus a ton of camping that I want to get in before my puppy gets here. The next couple months is supposed to be one big vacation for me because of my puppy I won't be able to do a lot of my summer/fall activities this year! Not that 3 dogs differ that much from 2, but my mom watches my pets at her house, she is not willing to watch his dog. And when I go camping I bring my dogs but I can't bring his dog, she chews through tents & that is what I sleep in.

Fifth, she has a lot of old age problems. It's not really that big of a deal because she has pretty much what Nanook has, mobility issues, cancer, going deaf & blind. But having 2 dogs all of a sudden with a lot of health problems will be a challenge, especially seeing as I am really active & go camping a lot. One person trying to handle 3 dogs, 2 of which can barely walk & one rambunctious dog just doesn't seem like an easy thing to do.

I told my uncle about my vacations & he said he would work something out with that. He's not quite sure what he would do but would think of something. He mentioned kenneling her if need be, but she hates that. He also mentioned that he could stay at my house while I am gone, and I don't mean to be rude but I really don't like people that are not familiar with my pets at my house, mainly the ferrets. I am really picky with who can stay at my house without me there. It's just that you have to be so careful with the ferrets.

We also talked about the issue with Raustyk & other female dogs & we just decided to play it ear by ear & see what they do when they meet.

I have not talked to him YET about the housetraining issue nor the random camping trips I take. You see I camp a LOT, depending on the weather. There are a LOT of times that I just up & go if the weather is nice. Say friday is here & they are calling for good weather for the weekend so I just up & leave. That leaves him with only a few hours notice.

I have been waiting YEARS to get my puppy and my time has come. I do not want to be selfish & think of only me, but geesh for the last 4 months I have been planning on doing so much before the pup comes as I can't do it after the pup is here. I was going to squeeze in ALL of my summer/fall activities before the end of July. I don't want to have a boring spring/summer because I have to watch some one elses dog but yet I love my uncle & I love pets & I know if I were in his shoes I would be ever so grateful if someone could watch my dogs for me.

Now if this was just for a week or 2 it would be no biggie at all. It also wouldn't matter either if I could have all summer/fall to do my regular activities or if it was some other year. But it will be at LEAST a month and I don't have the summer/fall to spare.

What do I do? I really want to watch the dog for him, but then again I don't.

caseysmom
04-26-2005, 03:04 PM
do you have a garage area you could dedicate to her and put an old couch in there? for sure your dad can't let him keep the dog with him?

lv4dogs
04-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by caseysmom
do you have a garage area you could dedicate to her and put an old couch in there? for sure your dad can't let him keep the dog with him?

I have a wore down rusty leaky shed that needs to be replaced. I live in a trailer park.

My dad wouldn't even let a pet rock live in his house let alone a not really housetrained dog.

lizbud
04-26-2005, 04:55 PM
Can you ask your Vet to give you the name of a Dog Kennel
where your Uncle's dog could be boarded. You might be able
to even go visit her there during her stay.

joycenalex
04-27-2005, 06:10 AM
i've been thinking about your dilemma, and i can see how hard this is. is there a doggy daycare where she can stay daytimes (at your uncles expense of course) while you're at work and away from home. the staff there could reinforce the house training issues:) sometimes 'dribbling' from a older spayed female dog can be treated with meds that tighten up the bladder opening too. and it's not so bad an idea for you to have a second family member who can be trained by you in ferret/cat care as a back up to your care. can the bathroom be babygated, thus keeping the door open, creating in essence a 6 x 8 ft crate to keep the cats from injury. good luck this is a complicated one. regards, joyce

finn's mom
04-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Do you have someone that would be willing to room with you for a few months? Someone you trust, obviously, with your own pets. But, maybe you know someone that needs a place to stay for a few months or something. Or someone that would just be willing to hang out with you and help you with the pets? I don't know, this really is a hard call to make. I hate to ask, but, what will he do with his dog if you can't watch her? Why doesn't he stay with you, instead of your dad? If it's for personal reasons, I understand if you don't answer that. I mean, at least that way, he could take care of his dog at least. Geez, I don't know, I hate that you're in that situation. It's too bad she can't be crated, that would fix almost all of the problems. Is there no one where he's moving from that could keep her? It's expensive, but, I've actually seen dog sitters that will keep pets for extended periods of time. I've only seen two, but, they do exist. Maybe you could find someone around there that does fostering? Is there anyone in here close to you that could help? Keep us posted, though, and, I'm sorry if this post makes no sense. I was totally brainstorming, and, just want to keep this at the top of the page! I think it's an important thread to read. Good luck. And, I'm sorry that I can't help you, I would if I were nearby. ***EDITED AGAIN***: Or maybe even have your uncle check out like an efficiency apartment or something like a motel that that he can rent for a few months? I mean, they're all last resorts, but, it seems like you might be at that point. :(

mruffruff
04-27-2005, 09:10 AM
You might also try discussing this with your local shelter. Sometimes they have people who would be willing to foster the dog. Volunteers at the shelter are good ones to ask. They may be able to aim you in the right direction. Or ask your vet for some direction.

The poor old gal may not be in total control of her bladder. Maybe a pair or two of doggy panties would help with that problem. But I really think a foster is the best bet.

Mary

lv4dogs
04-27-2005, 09:57 AM
I appreciate all of the suggestions from you's but golly gee now that I think of it this post might be worthless.
This is something that my Uncle & I have been looking into for a month now. We have tried just about every option there is.

JOYCENALEX:

I have been searching for a good vet in my area for a little over a year now. I've tried all 3 in my area, none of which I am very happy with, but this one is the best out of my options. They board there but only short term, the only other kennels in my area are a half hour away from me & my uncle. They don't really want to board long term, especially seeing as there is no set date as to when he will be able to have her back. If she were to be kenneled at one of the kennels, because of the location and hours we would only be able to visit maybe once a week each.

I'm not sure how good me visiting her would do as I have never even seen this dog before.

As far as her housetraining issues go, it's not that she leaks, she just goes. And although sometimes it is urine, it is mainly #2 that she has problems with.

And I do have other family members who are ferret knowledgable, my mother & brother. And if you knew my uncle, well he's a great guy, nice & all but kind of old fashioned I guess you'd call it, I would not want him caring for my animals.

I guess I could gate off my bathroom, BUT he says the dog goes nuts when confined in small areas. I'm not sure about a room, but crates & the such freak her out a LOT. And if she has that high of a prey drive, there is a good chance she could break or chew through the gate/door frame. My door frame is not really set up for a gate, we'd have to screw it right onto my wall if we were to go that route, then I'd have to unscrew it to shut my bathroom door. That would be a major pain in the butt.

FINN'S MOM:
If I had someone to room with me I would of done it 2 years ago. I could always use the extra income. So the answer to that sadly to say is no.
And the fact that I don't want my Uncle to live with me is because of the fact that the amount of time he would stay is unkown & I am busy. It is semi personal as my b/f sleeps over sometimes. And he has a job already but that is near my dad. And last but not least even if he did stay with me, we'd be in the same boat cause he would be gone for most of the day too. (he has a fenced in yard for her with a doggy door where he lives in florida now so she can go out whenever she wants to).

We have already checked with ALL of our friends & relatives in his area now in Florida & up here in my area where he is moving to. No one is willing to take in the dog for some reason or another, but mostly because of her problems.

Its sad to say but the dog does not have too much time left and she does not deserve to leave him early nor be in a kennel for this short time she has left.

Sad to say but we have no clue what to do with the dog if he can't find anyone else to watch her. I'm guessing since he has to do something with her, that if we can't find anyone she will either be PTS or given to a shelter.

And yes, I've already looked into the shelters near me, all will most likely put her to sleep because of her condition. And all of the no kill shelters are either full, or almost full to the point they are only accepting younger, more adopltable dogs.

Right now this a no win situation. It stinks.

finn's mom
04-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Wow. I'm sorry that the situation is so bad. :( Good luck.

lizbud
04-27-2005, 10:58 AM
As much as he hates the idea of kenneling his dog, if you can't
keep her, isn't it better than PTS ? If it's the expense, then have
him (or you) check out local foster ideas. It's a shame if the dog
can't have a little more consideration at her age.

lv4dogs
04-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by lizbud
As much as he hates the idea of kenneling his dog, if you can't
keep her, isn't it better than PTS ? If it's the expense, then have
him (or you) check out local foster ideas. It's a shame if the dog
can't have a little more consideration at her age.

If she really goes that crazy while being kenneled than being put to sleep would probably be better for her. She has vet records to prove that she REALLY injures herself while being kenneled.
Of course putting her to sleep would be the very last resort. I will give it a try first, but its just that there seems to be a very good chance that things won't work out no matter how much I wish that they do work out.
We would like to have some type of back up plan in case it does not work out at my house but its not looking good.

Money is not really an object to him. He even offered to fence in my yard and put in a doggy door at his expense but I can't the park won't allow it.

And we have been looking into fostering her. We're looking into ALL options, its just not working out at all so far. We have a LOT of consideration for her, that is why we are trying everything we possibly can.

finn's mom
04-27-2005, 11:27 AM
If money isn't an option for him, has he looked into renting an apartment for a couple of months? Even if she has accidents, that can be handled. When my dog, Bruno, was near dying, he could hardly get up, so, he would pee and poo where he was resting. It was awful. But, I kept every inch of my carpet covered in towels and/or pee pads. And, in the unlikely event he would miss the towels, I kept good carpet cleaner at hand. I wasn't going to repeat the suggestion, but, with my long post, I wasn't sure if you saw that part. But, if money isn't an option, it seems like something to be looked into anyway. Furnished apartments can be rented for a few months while he is looking for a home. Then, no one will be put out, and, the dog and owner can be together. And, even hire someone to take the dog out a couple of times a day, and, medicate her if needed. Just a suggestion!

lv4dogs
04-28-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by finn's mom
If money isn't an option for him, has he looked into renting an apartment for a couple of months? Even if she has accidents, that can be handled. When my dog, Bruno, was near dying, he could hardly get up, so, he would pee and poo where he was resting. It was awful. But, I kept every inch of my carpet covered in towels and/or pee pads. And, in the unlikely event he would miss the towels, I kept good carpet cleaner at hand. I wasn't going to repeat the suggestion, but, with my long post, I wasn't sure if you saw that part. But, if money isn't an option, it seems like something to be looked into anyway. Furnished apartments can be rented for a few months while he is looking for a home. Then, no one will be put out, and, the dog and owner can be together. And, even hire someone to take the dog out a couple of times a day, and, medicate her if needed. Just a suggestion!

He has looked into renting places (apartments & motels). So far all of the apartments he has called on either won't allow a dog (especially a big dog) or won't do a month to month or a short term lease. None of the motels will allow a dog or an unsupervised dog & my uncle has to work so the dog would be left alone for some time each day.

Gosh this is SO HARD.

finn's mom
05-24-2005, 09:21 AM
Hey, whatever happened in this situation? I was just thinking about it, and, wanted to see how it went. Any updates?

lv4dogs
05-24-2005, 03:32 PM
I emailed you but wanted to put this here to share for others that may be interested.

Thanks for remembering us. They keep postponing the closing of his house. It should be completed anytime between tomorrow & a few weeks from now.

I am going to try to foster his dog. But even if things work out with her at my house I will only watch her until my pup comes, which will be in July/August.

Should any of the previous mentioned issues come up or he runs out of time with him finding a house & me being able to watch her he will find ANYWHERE to live that allows her.
We did find a back up foster home, my aunt, she can watch her, but only for a short period of time as well. But that will allow more time for him to find a place to live.
If worse comes to worse & she does not work out at my house or my aunts house & he absolutely can not find anywhere to live, he will have to unfortunately have to find a new home for her as we have tried EVERY tom, dick & harry to watch her or keep her.

So she, Levi, will be here anytime within the next few weeks. Please, if you can keep your fingers crossed that everything works out.

Thanks again!
Sue

finn's mom
05-24-2005, 03:34 PM
That's awesome, I pm'ed you Sue!

bckrazy
05-25-2005, 01:53 AM
I'm glad she has somewhere to go, thats VERY nice of you :)

I feel really bad for you in that situation. . . it doesn't seem fair, and it sounds like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place :(. I was going to suggest, maybe your Uncle could find a home/apartment to rent nearby, or even stay in a motel, and he could drop off his Labbie at your workplace in the morning and pick her up at night. . just so that you could supervise her and take her out for potty breaks during the daytime, without having to worry about her pottying in the house, chasing the cats, etc.