PDA

View Full Version : top 20 happiest and most depressed cities in the United States

finn's mom
04-26-2005, 11:54 AM
I copied this from MSN. I've seen these before, but, thought I'd post it. It's interesting, at least.

Men's Health compiled this list based on antidepressant sales, courtesy of NDC Health; suicide rates, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); and the number of days inhabitants reported being depressed, based on the CDC's Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, accessed through bestplaces.net.

Where can you find happiness? Texas, that's where. Three of its cities placed in the top four: number one, Laredo; number two, El Paso; and number four, Corpus Christi.

The 20 Happiest Cities

1. Laredo, TX: A+

2. El Paso, TX: A+

3. Jersey City, NJ: A+

4. Corpus Christi, TX: A+

5. Baton Rouge, LA: A

6. Honolulu, HI: A-

7. Fresno, CA: A-

8. San Jose, CA: A-

9. Lincoln, NE: B+

10. Bakersfield, CA: B+

11. Buffalo, NY: B+

12. Anchorage, AK: B+

13. Stockton, CA: B+

14. Shreveport, LA: B+

15. (3-way tie) Madison, WI: B, Montgomery, AL: B, and Des Moines, IA: B

18. Wichita, KS: B

19. (tie) Sacramento, CA: B and Omaha, NE: B

The 20 Most Depressed Cities

1. Philadelphia, PA: F

2. Detroit, MI: F

3. St. Petersburg, FL: F

4. St. Louis, MO: F

5. Tampa, FL: F

6. Indianapolis, IN: F

7. (3-way tie) Mesa, AZ: F, Phoenix, AZ: F, and Scottsdale, AZ: F

10. Cleveland, OH: F

11. New York, NY: D-

12. Salt Lake City, UT: D-

13. Atlanta, GA: D

14. (3-way tie) Yonkers, NY: D, Pittsburgh, PA: D, and Kansas City, MO: D

17. (3-way tie) Long Beach, CA: D, Los Angeles, CA: D, Nashville, TN" D

20. Portland, OR: D

Jadapit
04-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Colorado didnt make either list. Hmmm I wonder if thats a good or bad thing?:p

Karen
04-26-2005, 12:14 PM
Maybe it means Colorado, like Massachusetts - also not on the list - is more normal? ;) Interesting list. Happiness is obviously not based on the amount of sunshine a person gets, because there are some very sunny cities on the "depressed" list, and Anchorage is on the "happy" list!

jazzcat
04-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Looks like it's time to schedule that trip to Hawaii I've always wanted to take! Honolulu sounds great to me!!!

After living in Nashville I'm not one bit surprised to see that city listed as depressed. I know I was the whole year and half I lived there.

finn's mom
04-26-2005, 12:34 PM
I was honestly really surprised not to see any Washington cities on there. The Seattle/Olympia area is supposed to be one of the most depressing places to live because it rains "nine months out of the year." I loved it, though. I was there two years and would go back in a heartbeat if I decided to move elsewhere. South Carolina isn't listed at all, either.

bckrazy
04-26-2005, 12:53 PM
yay! Sacto is on the happy list! :D

caseysmom
04-26-2005, 12:55 PM
Yeah I saw that bccrazy.....does it feel that happy to you???hehe...