PDA

View Full Version : Drama in St. Petersburg

dukedogsmom
04-26-2005, 07:36 AM
I'll keep my opinion to myself on this as it's probably too hot for the dog house. This female claiming to be a mother disgusts me.
5yrold terror (http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/26/Tampabay/Mom_moving_girl_in_vi.shtml)

christa
04-26-2005, 08:07 AM
I agree that this is a hot topic . . . there are so many ADULTS here that should be held responsible . . . IMO, the little girl's parents . . .

You know, when I was in elementary school (not too long ago) . . . we had RESPECT for our educators. Not just because we were taught this at home . . . but because we knew that there was a PADDLE in the top drawer of the desk at the front of the class. ;)

As far as I can remember, the paddle didn't kill anyone . . . at least not in my school!

LKPike
04-26-2005, 08:38 AM
I'm going to say that its not very fair to blame every case of a bad child on their parent. Their not like dogs, dogs being born completely clear - the personality and attitude is up to the owner. People are born with their own personalities, thoughts, beliefs, etc. A good parent could correct their "bad" child a million times and it still wouldn't stop the kid from doing what s/he wants, then or in the future.

I think the little girl AND her mother need a reality check. In the video the officers aren't rushing in on her, they calmly walked up to her. I'm very proud that the Principle and Teacher handled the situation calmly. jmo :p

Kfamr
04-26-2005, 03:58 PM
There's so much crap surrounding Pinellas County schools recently... :rolleyes:
I swear... if that little girl swung at me...

christa
04-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
There's so much crap surrounding Pinellas County schools recently... :rolleyes:
I swear... if that little girl swung at me...

Oh really? I'd like to hear more about that! Sounds like more going on than is being reported in the news? How interesting!

I also find it interesting that Jesse Jackson is getting involved. :rolleyes:

Lacey
04-27-2005, 12:05 PM
Oh dear... Don't get me started on the lack of ability to discipline in the education system...

Goodness knows that if that had happened when I was in kindergarten, I (1) would have had my little butt busted at school, (2) would have had my butt busted again when I got home, and (3) would have had to apologize to the teachers and asst. principal as publically as my Dad could arrange it. There would most certainly not have been any of this crud about suing the school system or the officers.

Sadly, though, the asst. principal's hands were tied in this sue-happy society. And she certainly handled the situation as best as she could, and I applaud her for it. She went through many tactics that are taught in a classroom management course - used the girl's name, got the other kids out of the room, did not become visibly angry, made the girl aware of consequences, and made the girl aware that her behavior was not acceptable.

When I was watching the video, I paid close attention to the off-camera comments, such as, "she's not touching her" when the kid started swinging at the asst. principal, which definitely supported the visual as the asst. principal merely presented her open palms as a target to keep the blows from her person. However, if those schools had a zero tolerance policy in effect, stiking at a teacher would have been instant expulsion for the rest of the school year.

And even though the cops weren't on camera at the time, it was obvious that seeing them is what suddenly settled the kid down. Personally, I think cuffing her was the right thing to do. Sure, she'd calmed down (because an authority figure that she respected had shown up), but there was no telling if anything would set her off again in an instant.

Sadly, the problem with discipline is schools these days is that there's not much a teacher can do. And the kids know this. So they push things to see what they can get away with. And it doesn't help when the parents enforce the bad behavior and as a consequence make the kids see that those who are trying to keep them under control are the problem.

"Hey, little Susie Sue, you've been paddled for being a severe disruption in class! That's abuse and that's bad. Let's go sue the school system and make some money!"

All I can say is thank goodness the teacher had the camera there that day to show exactly what happened, or else the asst. principal probably would've gotten in trouble with the school board over this incident!

cali
04-27-2005, 01:08 PM
I agree with LKPike, my mom has done research, and has found that its both genetics and the way they are brought up, for example is a kid has the "good" gene so to speak then they could have awful parenting and still be a great kid, and if a kid has the "bad" gene then they could have the worlds best parents and still be terrable kids. take my brother and I, we both had the same parenting, and if anything, the parenting I was given was worse because I am the youngest. however my brother is bad he droped out in grade 10, does drugs, partys all night, skiped all his classes in school you get the picture, where as I am the "good" kid, never skips a class, never parties, does not drink, does not even consider drugs or smoking etc.. same parenting but worlds apart. as my mom puts it I have the "good gene" I could have had terrable parents and turned out the same. while there are things I do blame on parents I only blame the parents if I have SEEN how the parents disipline. I blame my friends little sisters behaviour on her parents. why? because that girl is 9 years old comes home a half hour after her bed time and 1 1/2 hours after her curfew, she does not tell her parents where she was, they never knew to begin with, she walks in the house and her parents say "make your lunch and go to bed" no grounding no talking too no nothing. her older sister walks in the house 5 minuts late and she is yelled at and grounded for 2 weeks(no exaduration)

Luvin Labs
04-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Ugh, there are so many things I could say about so many things in that article (and I saw the video without the brat blurred out!) but all I'll say is that brat deserved to get handcuffed. If only they could bring out the paddle again :mad:

Kfamr
04-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by christa
Oh really? I'd like to hear more about that! Sounds like more going on than is being reported in the news? How interesting!

Not about this story, just Pinellas County school boards in general. Especially their transportation system. So many kids have gotten hit because of screwy bus routes.

RICHARD
04-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Poor kid,

scarred for life......

In the day, my parents would have taken me home and cuffed the living "s" outta me and never done any interview, let alone comment for a newspaper.

The one thing that DOES concern me is the comments about spanking.....

There was a day when you GOT a spanking.....
Now, you have to ASK for one!

;)